What does it mean to transpose a chord by lets say; Down 2 Half Steps?
What is "Standard "
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
Im no musical theorist, so could be off, but standard is open E or E standard (same thing).

down 2 half steps (wouldnt that be a hole step?) - each fret is a step. for example, if you barre the 3rd fret and slide down one fret (2nd fret) you have moved a half step, thus a whole step or 2 half steps would be like moving from G to A (bypassing Ab (A flat)). When you hit open you are at the lowest tone you can make in that tuning (open top/ E string is lowest note). When a song requires a deeper note than what can be achieved you need to "drop" your tuning. So it follows the same idea - you are changing the open note to 2 frets lower :. going from E(std) -> Eb -> D. By dropping the top/deep string you are going to drop D. If you tune all strings down you would be in D standard. If your playing like a G power chord, you would be moving to F power chord without changing tuning. Hope this helps

Im not sure how it works between EF and BC or if it follows the same rules.
Last edited by mullet_318 at Aug 25, 2011,
Quote by mullet_318
Im no musical theorist, so could be off, but standard is open E or E standard (same thing).

down 2 half steps (wouldnt that be a hole step?) - each fret is a step. for example, if you barre the 3rd fret and slide down one fret (2nd fret) you have moved a half step, thus a whole step or 2 half steps would be like moving from G to A (bypassing Ab (A flat)). When you hit open you are at the lowest tone you can make in that tuning (open top/ E string is lowest note). When a song requires a deeper note than what can be achieved you need to "drop" your tuning. So it follows the same idea - you are changing the open note to 2 frets lower :. going from E(std) -> Eb -> D. By dropping the top/deep string you are going to drop D. If you tune all strings down you would be in D standard. If your playing like a G power chord, you would be moving to F power chord without changing tuning. Hope this helps

Im not sure how it works between EF and BC or if it follows the same rules.

The difference between E to F and B to C is a half step. So if you went one step down from F, you would go down to D#. And yes, standard tuning is EADGBe.
so wait, if I am trying to play a song that is played with a capo on 2 and I want to transpose it so I can play it without a capo, do I transpose up or down, and how many?
Quote by musicinmycells
so wait, if I am trying to play a song that is played with a capo on 2 and I want to transpose it so I can play it without a capo, do I transpose up or down, and how many?
1) Ask in Musician Talk next time.
2) Up 2.
3) Don't bump old threads.