hello GB&C i've been wanting a ibanezTS808 but there a little expensive
so i thought a clone would be a better way to go my ?'s are .

1. is it a lot cheaper to build your own ?

2. what in your opinion would be the best place for parts ?

3. are they difficult to build ?

4. do they have a good explanation on what each component does
for example what makes them distort or whatever , and what components to change
for different or tone or more gain if you want ?

i have soldering experience and fix components ever now and then but not on
a regular basis .

thx for your knowledge .
1. Technically yes (usually), chances are it wont work at first though. You'll definitly have a higher quality pedal if you buy it compared to one you made yourself for the first time. The more parts, the larger the chance to screw something up

2. Smallbear electronics (website) has always been pretty good for me

3. The more parts, the more difficult I find

4. If you buy a kit then sometimes they do, but not always
Hey, I'm no expert but I've built a few pedals and the like.

1. It becomes a lot cheaper to built your own after you've built a few and you've got the parts/equipment already. if you buy all the parts and stuff just for one pedal it's not always cheaper. But for a TS808 I'd say it'd definitely be cheaper. You can buy develop your own PCB kits and stuff from maplin's. They're a cost at first but not too bad.

2. Maplin's the best place to start, cause you can pre-order exactly what you need to the number and collect for free. but you can pick up the parts even cheaper online in bulk, but for a few you have to pay delivery. Site's like farnell, mouser, rs. There might be even cheaper local places in London though.

3. No, not at all. Prototyping it on a breadboard is probably the hardest part, if you've already got the board design off the internet. Loads of sites have them, Tonepad, Gear Page. If you google you'll generally find something. I built a ZW-44 pedal from plans on the net and that's not a common pedal. There's always guides and forums full of people to help.

4. Again, google and you will find. There are tonnes of sites that explain what each component does. Diodes and IC's are the main costs and important in the sound. You can vary the resistor and capacitor values to alter it a little. If you proto-type it first then you can mess around with it all first before you solder and box it. And there's loads of forums to help.

Hope that helped, if not I'm sorry. I'm no expert but I do a fair bit of this stuff. Also, eBay's good for picking up bulk cheap components.

Good luck with it all man.
Without music, life would be a mistake ~ Nietzsche

Ltd F400fm
Acepro AE624 Prs copy
Zakk Wylde: Wah, phase, overdrive
Digitech Whammy
Boss HF-2
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Holy Grail nano
Blackstar HT-5
well im not good at etching my own board and i also dont have a bread board
and not experienced in using one but it does have me interested i didnt think
about pre building circuits before boxing them .

but i wouldn't know were to begin so i was kinda looking for a complete kit with instructions basically were talking almost complete noob here but know some electronic lingo .
Ah k. That's a little different. There aren't many that sell full kits in the UK, just keep searching I guess. You can ship stuff but it's a real missed business opportunity for someone over here. If you decide to give a pedal a go, it's really not too hard. But there must be somewhere that sells a kit.
Without music, life would be a mistake ~ Nietzsche

Ltd F400fm
Acepro AE624 Prs copy
Zakk Wylde: Wah, phase, overdrive
Digitech Whammy
Boss HF-2
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Holy Grail nano
Blackstar HT-5