As far as I know, the only way to do pinch harmonics (with the thumb) is to do so on a downstroke, never an upstroke. The problem I see though is that sometimes you might want to end a fast line with a pinch harmonic, yet the ending stroke might be an upstroke.

The solution would be to either start the lick on the opposite stroke and end on the opposite stroke (the downstroke), or somehow quickly do two downstrokes, the last one being a pinch harmonic.

Is this just a limitation I have to accept, that everyone accepts as well? I never really hard anyone talk about this before so I'm just wondering.
Pinch harmonics are plenty possible with an upstroke. Don't ask me the physics behind it, but I can certainly do them. You can even alternate pick pinch harmonics.

Starting the run with the other stroke can be easier though.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Switching the up- and downstroke is defenitely not an option, since the down should always be on 1, 2, 3, 4... and the upstroke always on the "and" in between, if you know what I mean. what you propose would be messing with the easiest rule of alternate picking.

the only thing I could imagine to solve this problem is hitting the pinch harmonic without picking it, while the string is still swinging. so you go: down-up-down-harmonic-down-up.

hope that helped

edit: of course learning to play a PH on an upstroke is an option also
This is not a signature
Last edited by ErnestoFidel at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by ErnestoFidel
Switching the up- and downstroke is defenitely not an option, since the down should always be on 1, 2, 3, 4... and the upstroke always on the "and" in between, if you know what I mean. what you propose would be messing with the easiest rule of alternate picking.

the only thing I could imagine to solve this problem is hitting the pinch harmonic without picking it, while the string is still swinging. so you go: down-up-down-harmonic-down-up.

hope that helped

How about when playing triplets or odd numbered rhythms? Wouldn't you be accenting the beat with an upstroke then?

What do you mean "hitting the pinch harmonic without picking it"? I've never heard this actually, or even doing pinch harmonics with an upstroke. That would be cool though
Quote by ErnestoFidel

hope that helped

Rule? Definitely not. A lot of the time it makes more sense to start a phrase with an up-pick and sometimes even inevitable, unless you strictly play stuff in groups of 4.
Quote by ErnestoFidel

Yo' CRAZY!
Quote by zincabopataurio
How about when playing triplets or odd numbered rhythms? Wouldn't you be accenting the beat with an upstroke then?

What do you mean "hitting the pinch harmonic without picking it"? I've never heard this actually, or even doing pinch harmonics with an upstroke. That would be cool though

I think he means slightly touching the string after picking it. It creates a harmonic most of the time although it's not called a pinch harmonic then anymore.

The way I do pinches with an upstroke is that I place my pick in a large angle in relation to the strings (about 80 degrees) and pick with my thumb brushing the string lightly as well. It works both ways.
look, I understand how you feel about that "rule" I talked about, but it absolutely makes sense. even when playing in triplets, you have to(!) always start on a downstroke.
but I see your point.

now as I unterstood the question, the idea was to start off with an upstroke, where casual playing would call for a downstroke. THAT would be a mistake.

oh and by the way, lets not talk about triplets here. you see in a way 2 8th triplets are just 1 4th triplet, so the downstrokes remain the notes you would play in a 4th triplet rhythm and thus stay accented
This is not a signature
^ what the hell?

You dont HAVE to start on downstroke, sometimes riffs/licks are so tight that one doesnt have the luxury of starting on downstroke. Sometimes (on descending licks) its more convenient to start on an upstroke, since it could make room for some eco. picking.

Its recomended to practice alt. picking starting on, both, down and upstroke, to maintain fluid picking no matter the circumstances

Edit: Just tried doing pinch harmonics on an upstroke - deffinetely possible, but quite uncomfortable.
I did by holding clenching my hand into fist and aligning joint, with which i hit the PH, of the middle finger to be under the plecktrum.
Since there is bigger distance between plec. and middle finger (index finger in between) that between plec. and thumb, it requiers more motion, enough to hit lower string, because of that id never use it in the middle of a run, only the last note.
But at least its possible
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Last edited by hr113 at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by ErnestoFidel
look, I understand how you feel about that "rule" I talked about, but it absolutely makes sense. even when playing in triplets, you have to(!) always start on a downstroke.
but I see your point.

now as I unterstood the question, the idea was to start off with an upstroke, where casual playing would call for a downstroke. THAT would be a mistake.

oh and by the way, lets not talk about triplets here. you see in a way 2 8th triplets are just 1 4th triplet, so the downstrokes remain the notes you would play in a 4th triplet rhythm and thus stay accented

The problem is that it's only in a way. Triplets are accented "ONE two three ONE two three", not "ONE two THREE one TWO three" like you suggested. You would use sextuplets for that kind of accents. Anyway this is just semantics.

Imagine you had a lick in 7/8:

E:------------------------------------------
B:------------------------------------------
G:------------------------------------------
D:------------------------------------------
A:---------5-7-8---------5-7-8--------------
E:-5-6-7-8-------5-6-7-8--------------------

There's just no way the accent wouldn't drop on a upstroke if alternate picking.
Quote by Flibo
The problem is that it's only in a way. Triplets are accented "ONE two three ONE two three", not "ONE two THREE one TWO three" like you suggested. You would use sextuplets for that kind of accents. Anyway this is just semantics.

This is how triplets are done.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Proposing that the accent must fall on a downstroke is completely retarded. The only rule for alternate picking is that an upstroke always follows a downstroke and vice versa. You should be capable of putting accents on either stroke.

Edit: Also, it's possible to do a pinch harmonic on an upstroke, though it's something that I struggle with also.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Last edited by Aleksi at Aug 24, 2011,
If you have to nail a pinch on an upstroke, then you could always substitute it with a "violin" harmonic - fret normally with first finger, reach out to 5 frets higher and touch the harmonic node. I've never seen someone else use them but they're an incredibly easy way of getting sick "pinches" perfectly consistently.

Proposing that the accent must fall on a downstroke is completely retarded. The only rule for alternate picking is that an upstroke always follows a downstroke and vice versa. You should be capable of putting accents on either stroke.

You almost always want your downbeats on your downstrokes. It's not completely retarded at all.
Quote by Freepower
If you have to nail a pinch on an upstroke, then you could always substitute it with a "violin" harmonic - fret normally with first finger, reach out to 5 frets higher and touch the harmonic node. I've never seen someone else use them but they're an incredibly easy way of getting sick "pinches" perfectly consistently.

Whoa, got to try that!
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by Freepower
You almost always want your downbeats on your downstrokes. It's not completely retarded at all.

The key was in the "must". It's easier to accent a downstroke and when possible, it's a good idea to do so but to say that you MUST accent on a downstroke and NEVER on an upstroke is nonsense.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Freepower

That sounds pretty cool actually, I'm going to try it. Thanks!
There are no limitations, it's just all in the technique. I can alternate-pick and sweep pinch harmonics, and play them with one finger utilising the nail and flesh. It's all about making sure you hit that node so you divide the string properly to play those harmonics. I can't really explain it much, as it's just something I picked up... One way to think of it would be muting the string with your thumb while you pick, then adjust it so your thumb is light on the string and in the right spot to hit the harmonic.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Freepower
Please do credit me if you end up super famous, it's my second favourite trick to make guitarists think I'm good.

What's your favourite?