Hey guys, I'm recording my own album and side projects and whatnot, I have a fairly meh tone, but I came across this, and it is one of the best deathcore/metal tones I've come across, too many bands have their tones too muddy. but this is outstanding.

I need some help as far as EQ goes, how I should have it set roughly, as with the bass, the bass would be the main thing to help it blend so it all sounds like one huge heavy tone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCO8z3b_sp8
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I'm using a Jackson Kelly Through a Bugera 333XL Head with matching 4x12, I have a good interface and I'm running an SM57. I can seem to get somewhat close, but it just doesnt seem to sound as smooth a tone, when I DO get it smoother, it almost sounds muddy with the bass track.

Does my bass track(s) just have too much low end then?
ಠ_ಠ

I can replicate the exact sound with amp sim and impulses.

For your amp, I think you should record with amp settings like this :

( suppose your knob has a range of 0-10)

Bass : 3-4 , Mid : 5-6 ( the main knob for your tone ) , Treble : 5 ( keep playing with the treble knob for clarity )

Now, EQ : High pass around 90 - 100 Hz, and low pass 11000 HZ.

Double track. If it's still not a close tone, add a center track and scoop the mid with your eq and boost high and low.

This should give you a good deathcore tone, but not probably not the same sound.

n.b : play with your mic position
The symphonizer
Last edited by Sympho at Aug 24, 2011,
Alright thanks for the help, same deal for the mixer EQ? or just set them to noon?

I'll try it tomorrow to see, should be close. I'll report back with my findings.
ಠ_ಠ

It's still too muddy, mainly because the drums are overpowering the mix horribly. But the slower open chords sound pretty decent. It's got a nice midrange bite to it, growls when they actually play slow enough so the human ear can distinguish the notes.

I'd do what they said above, but for the bass thing, high pass your guitars at like 50hz, and run two bass tracks, one clean, and one distorted, that's high passed at 800hz and low passed at like 3000 hz, and mix so it just has a hint of distortion in the cleans.

It'll really add more clear gain, and support the guitars a bunch, without you having to push the gain on your amp, thus giving you more clarity.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's still too muddy, mainly because the drums are overpowering the mix horribly. But the slower open chords sound pretty decent. It's got a nice midrange bite to it, growls when they actually play slow enough so the human ear can distinguish the notes.

I'd do what they said above, but for the bass thing, high pass your guitars at like 50hz, and run two bass tracks, one clean, and one distorted, that's high passed at 800hz and low passed at like 3000 hz, and mix so it just has a hint of distortion in the cleans.

It'll really add more clear gain, and support the guitars a bunch, without you having to push the gain on your amp, thus giving you more clarity.

Alright I'll try it, however, I DO have two bass tracks, one clean and one just with more midrange. My bass amp doesn't really have distortion, it has "gain" but even at 10 the best it gets to is a slight overdrive.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
Alright I'll try it, however, I DO have two bass tracks, one clean and one just with more midrange. My bass amp doesn't really have distortion, it has "gain" but even at 10 the best it gets to is a slight overdrive.

All you need is a slight overdrive, it'll add some gain, but I normally use Poulins LeTac amp sim, and run dirt that way. It sounds horrid, but it works.
Well I've been watching Fearedse and whatnot, his tutorials are somewhat helpful, but I still just can't seem to get my two tones to blend that well to have a nice smooth but almost "wuffy" low end. I tried the settings I was suggested, and it still wasn't that much closer.
ಠ_ಠ