Page 2 of 22
Quote by Cathbard
Zoot, you are a cheaper bastard than even me.
You should get some sort of award for being UG's biggest miser.

Maybe you should start using a Scrooge McDuck avatar.

I'm not that cheap! It's more some kind of strange satisfaction about getting free things from the internets. I did it with tea once too, and a bunch of other crap although i think out of all the stuff i signed up for only the teas arrived . I think it said only one per household but i've done it 3 times now though.

Anyway if i get these dunlop picks i've emailed them about then i do deserve some kind of an award, i can't believe they'd charge 42 dollars for a brass pick..
Especially if they're cheap goods, companies love sending out free sample to reviewers, even if it's just an unemployed kid in his mom's basement with a blogger account. Virtually free publicity.
Quote by Seref
Especially if they're cheap goods, companies love sending out free sample to reviewers, even if it's just an unemployed kid in his mom's basement with a blogger account. Virtually free publicity.

Well i thought this too, i mentioned that i post on UG to Chris at gravity picks and he said it would be good if i posted about how ifind it in here when it get it, which i will. I thought this too tbh, if i do find it worthwhile then i could happily replace my current jazz 3s or at least buy others as a backup.
^

this is the best thread in a while

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Chris from Gravity Picks sent me a pick, it's quite good. Needless to say I asked for one because everyone loves free stuff off the internet.

For picks I think it's genuinely more worthwhile to buy them in bulk off eBay or something. There's something very satisfying about holding a bag full of plectrums.
ahahahaha lolwut?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Oh yeah, and dunlop got back to me, apparently they're sending me the picks (including the 42 dollar brass one ) and a few more too.

fuck off, you serious?!
Dayum, what a way to make a bit of a profit if you sell that $40 pick on.
I feel bad to ask for free stuff.

But I have literally no money at the same time...it's a hard life.
I'm sure it costs less than a cent to produce a single regular pick (especially for a big company like Dunlop), so they'd probably have no problem giving out free picks as samples.

If anything they probably gain more from this, as they are getting their product out there, and the fact that you guys are talking about them as a result of the free samples over a busy internet forum is a big plus.

I would love a free sample of a v pick though
Quote by DimebagZappa
No ****ing Way.

Thank you for your email! I will be happy to send you out some samples of the picks. I have added a couple others I thought you may like to try out. Such as the fairly new Jazz lll Ultex 2. and the Tlll in 1.35 and 1.5 gauges. They will mail out Monday morning. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery. The following are the contact names and telephone numbers for the distributors in the United Kingdom that we are currently work with. Please feel free to contact them to order any of the products you require from the Dunlop Product line. If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact us:

:3

Though it doesn't match the sheer arrogance of my email to gibson

Hi, i've always been a fan of your products i was wondering if you could send me a free sample of one of your guitars, specifically the Melody Maker , as seen here on your website
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Melody-Maker/Gibson-USA/Melody-Maker.aspx with free postage of course (or it wouldn't be a free sample right?!)

I've always been a fan of your guitars like i say, ever since i heard my dad playing his les paul studio i've liked gibsons, and now that i'm starting to get better at my own playing and have started a band i know that it's time to get serious about it all. I've always loved the melody maker too, and Billy Gibbons got his start in music by using one, and he's one of my all time guitar heros to say the least!

I'd love to hear back from you about this, my postage address is below

and fender

Hi, as a long time fan of your products i was wondering if i could be sent a Classic Series '50s Telecaster for free as a free sample , ideally with free postage too obviously (it wouldn't be free if i had to pay a lot of money at the door!). As seen on your website here http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/search.php?partno=0131202303

I've been playing the guitar for years in my own music and in a band but i've recently decided to get serious about tone, and after thinking about this, i realise that all of my musicial heros play telecasters of some kind (Keith Richards, Wilko Johnson, Nick Cave, the list goes on), i would love to hear back from you about this!

My postage address is as follows:
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Aug 28, 2011,
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
you are such an arrogant twat
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Sweet Jesus, I've got to try this out... Maybe I'll send an email to PRS, I really fancy some of the stuff they've got going on.
I pride myself on my humility.
cheapstake . i wouldnt even bother writing email asking free picks .. lol.

i think ill give 12 guitar picks to the next guy who doesnt bump this thread so it can die !!!

oh damn what have i just done .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
I wonder if this works with clothing stores and T-shirts? :P
I mailed V-picks, steveclayton, gravity picks and dunlop, they all agreed on sending me a free sample, the guy from dunlop even asked me if I needed free strings too I think I'll actually review em and ask for more expensive stuff to review

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
I should go ask ESP to build me a custom shop for free.

Oh and probably should also ask for Chris Broderick's sig guitar as a sample when its out.

Last edited by Syriel at Aug 29, 2011,

Dear Mr. Obama,

I really like Islands. I've been using them for years and have recently started getting more serious about them. I was wondering if you could give me a free sample of one of your islands. Perhaps something up near Canada, since these are pretty useless anyway. Of course since this would be a free sample, I would need you to cover the costs of moving me there and building my compound. Thanks in advance.

Dan
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Bit of a bump, but Dunlop have just agreed to send me a few Jazz picks to sample (I'm too meek to flat out ask so I inquired about the differences in the different Jazz picks and they offered to send me some).

Whereas with Planet Waves who I contacted asking for samples, the reply was "give me a couple of days, I'll try to sort something out", not heard anything yet, so I don't think I'll get anything from them.
But oh well! Nothing lost.

To be honest I think Dunlop's offerings will keep me for well over a year, if I don't lose picks they get used for ages with me!
Did you email Dunlop's Customer Service? I need to seriously try this out.
^^ haha nice
I asked D'addario for some strings.

Long story short they said no
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Zoot Allures
Just emailed ddarro asking for some free strings >_>

still no reply from fender or gibson though

I'm assuming they'll have a similar response that Planet Waves had with me. It sounded like the guy was cool with giving me a sample, but I'm not sure if they're allowed to send shit out for free as I've heard nothing back, and as D'addario are the same company (and as strings cost approximately £4.50 more than a pick!) I assume you won't hear anything.

I was tempted to ask Dean Markley for some Blue Steel strings to try as I've been wanting to try them out for a while, but I can't see it happening to be honest.
i guess ima go ask dunlop for picks and may be try and get neon strings or that colored strings! gotta try it sometimes soon

still waiting for my Gravity Picks

I think the tactics here should be an interest in a not so famous product. so if say fender is selling billions of picks each month they wont care for some arrogant dude asking for samples you know. on the other hand tho they could be like meh we've sold 123bazillion picks this month, why not send him 5 for free...

anyways, give me some young brand names!!
Last edited by Vendetta V at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by Vendetta V
i guess ima go ask dunlop for picks and may be try and get neon strings or that colored strings! gotta try it sometimes soon

I thought it was DR that did the neon strings?

Quote by Vendetta V
I think the tactics here should be an interest in a not so famous product. so if say fender is selling billions of picks each month they wont care for some arrogant dude asking for samples you know. on the other hand tho they could be like meh we've sold 123bazillion picks this month, why not send him 5 for free...

anyways, give me some young brand names!!

The problem with that tactic is, they're a new company, competing with the brands such as Dunlop, Fender, whoever, who can afford to give free stuff away. What young companies need is your custom.
Yeah they're more likely to give you free stuff as they want to secure customers, but from what I've gathered, everyone on this thread is just pumped to get free stuff, cos, who wouldn't be?
But at the same time, they need the sales.
That's why I've only asked Dunlop and Planet Waves (and if I asked any others they'd be the big names who could spare picks).

The reason I haven't asked places like Gravity picks for a sample is because I know they're a small business and their picks are harder to make than the whole Dunlop style mass producing thing, and I know that right now I don't have the cash to follow it up.

Your idea of going for fresher companies is great for nabbing endorsements deals and stuff, but I just think it's a bit more of a touchy subject on getting samples!

You could probably try it and get somewhere, but I think as it comes to this sort of "Hey guys, [this company] give away samples" thing, it's best to go for the higher ups, so that they don't get 20 people from Ultimate-Guitar asking them for free stuff!

Wow I have made quite the little essay on this!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I thought it was DR that did the neon strings?

The problem with that tactic is, they're a new company, competing with the brands such as Dunlop, Fender, whoever, who can afford to give free stuff away. What young companies need is your custom.
Yeah they're more likely to give you free stuff as they want to secure customers, but from what I've gathered, everyone on this thread is just pumped to get free stuff, cos, who wouldn't be?
But at the same time, they need the sales.
That's why I've only asked Dunlop and Planet Waves (and if I asked any others they'd be the big names who could spare picks).

The reason I haven't asked places like Gravity picks for a sample is because I know they're a small business and their picks are harder to make than the whole Dunlop style mass producing thing, and I know that right now I don't have the cash to follow it up.

Your idea of going for fresher companies is great for nabbing endorsements deals and stuff, but I just think it's a bit more of a touchy subject on getting samples!

You could probably try it and get somewhere, but I think as it comes to this sort of "Hey guys, [this company] give away samples" thing, it's best to go for the higher ups, so that they don't get 20 people from Ultimate-Guitar asking them for free stuff!

Wow I have made quite the little essay on this!

nice actually agreed. yeah i thought actually DR is owned by dunlop or something... idk
never mind

as for the rest. yeah i totally agree with you but often the young brands do make give anyways and all so samples and stuff could work out... another good thing is that those who send me stuff for free get a described info on my experience. and i dont jsut write it and forget about them. that's why im God Box's (quite a young boutique pedal brand) main artist endorsee. cause i tell them what iwant, how i want and why i want and they take it as a general musician preference. im not trying to get me a signature pedal lol, im just saying stuff i encounter and all and it's on a almost daily basis.

so yeah give me young brand names, i want some more endorsement