Ok so right now I'm playing in a hardcore band (hc with a little sludge thrown in to spice it up, if you will) and my half stack I play shows with is an older Crate 100 watt solid state, model I'm unsure of, I bought it from a pawn shop for 200 bucks. Now when I play it seems to barely be loud enough to be heard over drums even when cranked up. My deal is I've been obsessed with Orange and their sound for almost a decade, but never had the money to dish out for anything they sell. My question is I'm looking into purchasing either a Rockerverb 50 or Thunderverb 50 because I've played and loved both. BUT would the said 50 watt head(s) be louder on my current cab than my 100 watt solid state? Also, I feel the 100 watt variants of the heads would be too much for my cab, or would it?

I've never really owned a tube head or amp, always solid state for some reason so please forgive the newb-ish questions, I appreciate all input.
50 watts tube should be loud enough to drown out your drummer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
50 watts tube will make your neighbors call the cops. You won't hear the sirens, so they'll assume you're resisting arrest, smash down the door and shoot you in the face.

EDIT: my mistake, only the second shot will hit your face.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Haha good then, honestly the price of the 50 watt is cheaper so I think i'd rather go that route than the 100 anyway. Any other input would be great too.
You are deff gonna need a new cab aswell. the TH30 would be loud enough in most situations also, that leaves a little extra twards a new cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
that's why I was sketchy about using higher watts on my cab because I didn't think it could handle it.
I've got the TH30 head, and play post-hardcore, and it's awesome. And loud enough, only too bad it doesn't have a 3 band eq, but gonna fix that with an mxr 10 band eq

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
What cab do you have? If they're rated for 100 watts, then a 50 watt head will be fine.

Although, upgrading to a better cab is never a bad idea...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by spiritofjosh
Haha good then, honestly the price of the 50 watt is cheaper so I think i'd rather go that route than the 100 anyway. Any other input would be great too.

My friend has the 100 watt model and we can't turn it up more than halfway without drowning out our other guitarist's amp, the drummer, the PA and the entire neighborhood. Also, 100 watts wouldn't be much louder than 50 watts through the same speakers.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
The 100W version will give you more clean headroom, but only 3dB or so louder. Unless you play lots of clean stuff and need the extra room before breakup the 50W will be just fine.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
i used to have a 60 watt mesa head. once i cranked it to 6. my friend got abotu a foot away from my face and yelled as loud as he could and i couldnt hear him while i was playing. it was nuts.

yes, 50 watts is like GAWWWWWWWWWWWW loud.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thanks you were a very big help, so I think when the time comes the 50w it is. And it's also the cheaper route if I go with the rockerverb since the 50w thunderverb is almost 3 grand