Page 1 of 2
Hello, I just got my Bugera 2x12 and my laney AOR 50w head.

The ohms are matched at 4, the head is turning on and the tubes are lighting up. I'm using an instrument cable to connect the tube to the cab, should I do that or this there a special cable to do so? Where should I plug the cab into the head? On the back of the head there are the following inputs, Speakers (2) , Line out, (+8dBV), Line out and line in. Its my first tube amp and I'd really like some help.

If you need any more additional information I'd be glad to give it to you.
Turn everything off right now, go to the store and get a speaker cable. Instrument cable is not made to be placed between a head and cab.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by oWhoadYo
Hello, I just got my Bugera 2x12 and my laney AOR 50w head.

The ohms are matched at 4, the head is turning on and the tubes are lighting up. I'm using an instrument cable to connect the tube to the cab, should I do that or this there a special cable to do so? Where should I plug the cab into the head? On the back of the head there are the following inputs, Speakers (2) , Line out, (+8dBV), Line out and line in. Its my first tube amp and I'd really like some help.

If you need any more additional information I'd be glad to give it to you.

There's the problem
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
You may have already damaged your head using that instument cable.
The special cable is called a speaker cable.
There should have been instructions that came with the head and cab, did you read them?
While running an instrument cable between the head and cab will damage it over time, it won't prevent sound from coming out. There's another problem.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
While running an instrument cable between the head and cab will damage it over time, it won't prevent sound from coming out. There's another problem.

He could have killed it in the first try with the wrong cable - ive seen it before.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
You need to use an speaker cable - instrument cable is bad for it over time. Not getting sound is another problem. I am not completely familiar with the Laney AOR amp, but you want to make sure your master and/or post gain are turned up, and also your pre-gain. If your pre-gain is all the way down you aren't going to get any volume. Other considerations is the cable between the head and cab may be bad, or the cable between yoru instrument and the amplifier.
The instrument cable may have alredy fried, as it was never intended to handle that load.
Using instrument cables load up the output transformer on the amp, and can damage that as well
Quote by mcamp1230
The instrument cable may have alredy fried, as it was never intended to handle that load.
Using instrument cables load up the output transformer on the amp, and can damage that as well

It almost definitely did not fry a cable. Even 18 gauge wire will carry more current than a 50w amp puts out. If the cable's dead now, it's not the amp that killed it.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
go buy a speaker cable, but i woudnt narrow it down to only that just yet. ive run many amps with an instrument cable before(for a short period of time) and it works, i just wouldnt turn it up too loud.

EDIT: no offense, but you are taking it off standby correct?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
double check that you are using the speaker out jacks. are both ends plugged in all the way?

an instrument cable should work for testing purposes but as said, it's not a good idea to use one.

if the cable is toast, you won't get sound.

make sure the master volume is up.

make sure the guitar volume knob is up.

has the cab been tested? speakers in a cab that aren't connected is another potential disaster.

and that's just a couple potential issues going on.

where did you get the cab? used? new?

edit: good call on the standby switch as well.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 24, 2011,
yes, use a speaker cable. but as gregs said, the instrument cable should actually "work", so if you're not hearing anything, as long as the instrument cable isn't faulty, it's probably either user error or something wrong with the amp or cab.

Time for some odds:

Odds Bugera is faulty: evens

Odds Laney is faulty: 100:1

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A Bugera? Wow, you should be happy that it didn't set your Laney on fire and then eat your dog.

The Bugera's fried your amp.

Or it could also be dead tubes, in which case it's still Bugera's fault.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
double check that you are using the speaker out jacks. are both ends plugged in all the way?

an instrument cable should work for testing purposes but as said, it's not a good idea to use one.

if the cable is toast, you won't get sound.

make sure the master volume is up.

make sure the guitar volume knob is up.

has the cab been tested? speakers in a cab that aren't connected is another potential disaster.

and that's just a couple potential issues going on.

where did you get the cab? used? new?

edit: good call on the standby switch as well.

+3
Hello, this is OP.

I've had many problems right from the start with this amp.

One thing is, when I turn on the amp no sound comes out. But, When I turn on the standby switch, It works but it kinda sounds flat. Is that normal or do I have to be playing REALLY loud? Because I had it turned up to about 2.5 and it was extremely loud for a small room. It sounded nice but not great. Also, if anyone is familiar with this amp, I'd like to know some good tips that will help me achieve A really thick sounding distortion like a stoner doom metal band like sleep or electric wizard. I think matt pike of sleep used the same amp. It was in a music video of theirs...

Another problem I have is when I plug in my boss hyper fuzz fz-2 I get absolutely no sound from the cab or amp. Same thing happens with my wah pedal. And do all tube amps sound horrible quiet?

Thanks, I'll take any help I can get.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
you should not be having these problems

something is wrong

it may be F'd up. Take it in.

ok, what do you think the problem is?
Those Laneys often have dodgey valve sockets. Try removing the tubes one by one and plugging them back in. Spray a bit of contact cleaner on the valve pins while you are at it, but if you don't have any do what I said anyway.
And use a proper speaker cable. I make mine out of mains power extension cables.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ maybe cath but to me it sounds like a jumpy vol knob.

OP some amps are like that. little to no sound and then at like 2/10, boom.

also, do the pedals have a power supply and/or fresh batteries?

just to be clear, at 2.5/10 you have serious volume now right? or no?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Ya this thing is earsplitting inside at 2.5. But why would it only work on standby is my biggest concern.
Hang on, it works on standby but not off standby? Sure you aren't looking at the switch upside down?
You're probably right greg, but cleaning the valve sockets on an AOR is always a good idea. You get to feel if any of the sockets feel loose at the same time. The sockets were the weak point on those things.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ya dude, your amp is fine is my thought.

it's not a low volume kinda amp. it's a blow the doors off the venue kinda amp.

nope, when I put the standby switch down (on position), I get sound but when its up, it slowly fades away. Im guessing its not upside down because the on/off works the same way
Whoadyo i think you've got standby mixed up

The amp is on standby when you switch on the power switch but dont flick the standby switch (you switch on the power switch first and let it warm up). Then it comes off standby when you flick the switch to the same position as the power switch..
okay, I have the standby switch in the same position as the on off right now. Right now my amp is not turned on meaning the on off is in the off position. is my standby also off? Or is that on for the standby?
When you flick the power switch to switch it on but not the standby switch you'll be in standby. Once you flick the stanby switch (ideally after like 30 seconds to warm the amp up) the amp comes off standby and then you get sound..
so no matter what position the standby position is in, it won't play as soon as I turn on the amp? I need to wait about 1 minute for the amp to warm up THEN switch the standby switch in the opposite position?
Yes
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by oWhoadYo
so no matter what position the standby position is in, it won't play as soon as I turn on the amp? I need to wait about 1 minute for the amp to warm up THEN switch the standby switch in the opposite position?

it'll play right when you turn the power on if you have standby off, but you'll stress your tubes and cause them to not last as long. You need to let them warm up AT LEAST 10-15 seconds.

When the power is OFF, make sure the standby switch is in the same position. Flip power on. WAIT. You won't hear sound because it's in standby heating up the tubes. Then flip the standby switch in the same position the power switch is on again (On).

And it probably sounds flat and nasty because it's a Bugera cab.
Last edited by Ignite at Aug 25, 2011,
first you turn on the power, then you disengage standby so it makes noise.

regardless of switch position, this is how it works.

i've not owned an AOR to say which direction the switch should be in, but that's how tube amps work.

if you are able to get sound out of it, it's probably working fine.

could be an ID 10 T error though really.
hate to say this but TS you fail
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Page 1 of 2