What scales are most commonly used in Hardcore/Metalcore and Djent. Not here to troll or anything, and don't flame me by saying downtuning my guitar is gay or my music sucks. I originally listened to Maiden and all the classic metal, along with people like Jason Becker and Marty Friedman, I'm just getting into newer music lately and I want to start writing some stuff, but I don't know where to start with this new music. Thanks for any tips! Cheers!
Last edited by BlueFuzion101 at Aug 24, 2011,
Major scale
Natural Minor
Harmonic Minor
Melodic Minor
Major Pentatonic
Minor Pentatonic

All with accidentals.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Major scale
Natural Minor
Harmonic Minor
Melodic Minor
Major Pentatonic
Minor Pentatonic

All with accidentals.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's an accidental?
Quote by BlueFuzion101
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's an accidental?

It's just a sharp or flat. And they won't necessarily always have accidentals.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

Seriously, a sharp (#) or flat (b) note in music is an accidental.

Not quite. An accidental is a note that is not in the scale.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Not quite. An accidental is a note that is not in the scale.

ah, yes. I was thinking literally in terms of sheet music - seeing a sharp or flat note, but what you said is actually much better.

I'd say listen to rockingamer2's suggestion. But I would also say after learning the ins and outs of the major and minor completely, learn the half-whole and whole-half diminished scales.

(though they're probably more useful for making metal kinds of sounds rather than djent or metalcore)
░──────░
░|█████|░
░|█████|░
─┴────┴─

░░░^__^░░░
░░/ ░░░ \░░░____________
/░░░ರೃ \░░/Presumptuous!\
░=_░ɯ░_=░...‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
░░ \░^░/ ░░
░░░‾‾‾‾‾░░░░
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
ah, yes. I was thinking literally in terms of sheet music - seeing a sharp or flat note, but what you said is actually much better.

Well, you weren't totally wrong: a note that is sharp or flat for the key would be an accidental.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
Well, you weren't totally wrong: a note that is sharp or flat for the key would be an accidental.

I know, but it may have been misleading to Mr. Fuzion in the context of his original question - but can either/or/both depending on what the context of the music is etc.
Quote by rockingamer2
Major scale
Natural Minor
Harmonic Minor
Melodic Minor
Major Pentatonic
Minor Pentatonic

All with accidentals.

^ basically every scale you'll ever need. For prog/djent, learn some prog/djent and figure out what they're doing. Scales don't separate genres, especially when it comes to music based on being technically progressive and new.
modes are a social construct
Quote by soviet_ska

Sharps and flats in a key signature aren't accidentals.

The note F# in C# minor isn't an accidental, F natural is though.
Quote by griffRG7321
Sharps and flats in a key signature aren't accidentals.

The note F# in C# minor isn't an accidental, F natural is though.

He means to say that, in relation to the F#, the F natural is a flattened tone, if you want to get into weird semantics. Sharps and flats in relation to the key signature (like a b5 in c major) are what were the original intention, but it was a pretty confusing way to put it.
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
He means to say that, in relation to the F#, the F natural is a flattened tone, if you want to get into weird semantics. Sharps and flats in relation to the key signature (like a b5 in c major) are what were the original intention, but it was a pretty confusing way to put it.

Yes, this is what I meant.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
UnMagicMushroom., that was the greatest thing ever said to describe the musicality of this kind of music. No offense to the OP.