tl;dr - want good clean and metal tones, will HT-1R do it? Also, can I jam with it? If not, Cube or VT+

EDIT: Guitar is a LTD EC-1000VB

Hi,

I'm trying to decide on my next amp and have narrowed it down to these 3.
If you want to recommend something else I don't want to spend more than £200.

I've heard really good things about both the HT-1R and the Cube 40XL, all I really know about the Vox is that it is a competitor to the Cube and is a valve/SS hybrid.

This is mostly for bedroom playing/practicing and the occasional jam with friends. Wouldn't be jamming in a band situation most likely, I'm a drummer 1st.

I don't really have any desire for a load of effects. I'm not going to get much use out of flanger/phaser/chorus. I'd only really use the reverb. The looper on the Cube seems pretty cool, but I doubt I'd get much use out of that either.

The real question is if I would get the tones I want from the HT1-R. I want something that is diverse enough that I can play John Mayer one day and Metallica the next. So my question is, is this amp able to do that? Obviously it can't be amazing at both ends, but I would like decent. And, is it loud enough to jam with?

If it isn't able to do this, then I figure at my price range something with good modelling would be my best bet, so thinking the Cube/VT+. Would you agree? If so, which one would you recommend out of the two and why?

Thank you
Gear
ESP LTD EC-1000 Vintage Black - Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive w/ Sabian Cymbals
Last edited by imaan988 at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Metal? Vypyr.

What are the cleans like though?
Gear

Quote by imaan988
What are the cleans like though?

Pristine, can get a nice crunch on the tube models.

SS ones are good enough, just dont expect incredibly sensitive dynamics. The tube ones do that all right, but are a touch out of your budget. Unless you can spring a Tube 60 used?

Quote by Wisthekiller
Cleans are good. I have tried for years to get a good distortion sound and can't though.

You might be doing it wrong the Vypyrs have arguably the best distortion modelling system in that price range, though it is subjective.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 24, 2011,
Interesting...I think I'm going to have to go to a shop and try these all out, which I did not want to do, been on the go for a week, wanted some lazy time
Gear

The Roland cube has a great metal and clean tone.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
save for the HT5R, its a tube amp (for the most part) which will sound more convincing than any modeller.
The HT-1R is tube as well, just less wattage.
Gear

After seeing pics of the insides of the HT-1 it looks like no more of a tube amp than the HT-5.
Regardless of that, the Vyper would suit you better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification