topic

looking for a new bass and i play in an alternative band

thanks in advance
Squire Precision Bass. If you want higher quality, go with a G&L.

Give more info and I'll give better recommendations.
Define "Alternative" - any examples?

What's your budget - I'm going to recommend an EBMM SR4, but that may be out of your price range (or well within it!)
by alternative i mean influenced by rhcp, rage against the machine, green day etc.

as far as price, anywhere between 300-600 at the moment.
any aesthetic preferences? 4 string? any features you feel like are absolutely necessary? I mean your question is super vague...
Ah, so Punk/Funk/Rap-core (3 completely different styles).

I'm assuming 3-600 dollars, so I would attempt to find a G&L L2000 Tribute. They should be in budget (I can't remember how much they cost over the pond), but if not, second hand would do you well.

They are great, multi-tonal instruments, and have a fantastically aggressive sound that should suit all those styles.
yep, G&L is the way to go, classic design, nice electronics and neck and you should be able to find one for your price range.
Quote by katalyzt13
why?

Because his name is an offspring song.

I have a reason for this.

The Offpsring's Bass player has a fender. Although, its not a jazz.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
Because his name is an offspring song.

I have a reason for this.

The Offpsring's Bass player has a fender. Although, its not a jazz.

Every time I've watched an Offspring Performance he's had an Ibanez ATK.

Anyway, to answer the question... whatever the hell you think sounds good. You listed three different bands with three different sounds.

If you want a Mike Dirnt-ish sound, buy yourself a vintage Gibson or Fender P-bass and run it through a valve amp with some drive, if you want a Timmy C or Flea kind of sound, buy a Jazz bass or a Musicman Stingray. You won't find one bass that'll do it all.

Not sure what all the G&L spiel in this thread is about either. Never have I seen any of the bands mentioned by the TS using G&L instruments, nor do they have a particular affinity for "alternative" music. They're good instruments, but there are countless others that'll do the job just as well.

Play some and find a sound that suits you, then make it work for your music. That's the only way. Don't put such a broad question to random people on the internet who have no idea what you personally want and have biased tastes, and expect to find what you were looking for.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by thrash17
by alternative i mean influenced by rhcp, rage against the machine, green day etc.

Honestly, I was depressed all day but this sheer retardation cheered me right up.

But yeah get a Squier.
the G&L looks nice but its getting up in the 700 dollar territory, and i kinda wanna stay at least at 600 or under
Used G&L Tribute L2000's go for $350-$500 usually.

If not, a Jazz bass is a great choice (Squier VM or CV series, Fender MiM, or SX are all good and in your range).

But honestly, you could get by with anything.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Spaz91
Honestly, I was depressed all day but this sheer retardation cheered me right up.

But yeah get a Squier.

That made me laugh. Seriously.

A VM series would do you fine. Get your butt to a music store though, and try out some basses. Find one that meets your playing expectations and go with that.