Just for fun, I was wondering if any of you had any ideas on how to improve/ change the way that people buy music in a way that makes everyone happy. My idea is when you buy an album on itunes, you should be given an option if you want a physical copy of what you bought sent to you, so that you will get to keep a hard copy of it without having to rip the songs onto your computer. I believe if you're going to pay 12.99 just to download an album, you should at least get a hard copy included in the price. Of course, though, most people don't want a hard copy, but at least they'd be given the option.
Last edited by JohnSmith85 at Aug 24, 2011,
record industry?

scrap the bullshit middleman, and get the actual CD producers being the labels.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by entity0009
Make everything a name-your-price scheme.

This, and promote a wider range on music commercially.

Not just pop shit.
Stop signing generic and mainstream pop, metalcore and deathcore shit and sign based on talent and creativity rather than large asses, sex appeal, how "hard" the band looks and how many tattoos they have.

/elitism

Of course, by doing that, the music labels would struggle massively.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Also, btw, this idea isn't really aimed toward major labels. I am realistic to know that major labels are without question going down in flames. I'm mostly referring to indie labels and such.
A tactical nuke right up the ass of the RIAA. Because I'm a ****in' swashbuckler.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Yeah the name your price scheme.. even though that is pretty much digital busking. It's hard to make money off that way and it's very unstable.

I would just make CD's cheaper, really I won't pay $20 for a CD. I just won't. The scheme for everything should be $6-8 a CD, $15 for vinyl and tickets, and like 10 bucks for a shirt.

ALSO, put bonus tracks on the CD, why should lazy iTunes buyers get them? Give them to the people who went out to get the CD.
Quote by rockfan7
Yeah the name your price scheme.. even though that is pretty much digital busking. It's hard to make money off that way and it's very unstable.

I would just make CD's cheaper, really I won't pay $20 for a CD. I just won't. The scheme for everything should be $6-8 a CD, $15 for vinyl and tickets, and like 10 bucks for a shirt.

ALSO, put bonus tracks on the CD, why should lazy iTunes buyers get them? Give them to the people who went out to get the CD.

It costs so much less to put it as download only. They want more people to buy digital as it increases their profit margins. Hence they get the bonus tracks. Not someone buying the physical disc.

Sucks I know, but it's an industry like any other. Reduce your costs, increase profit margin, get rich.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by rockfan7

It may start off as unstable but it would encourage decent music

I released my music on a name-your-price scheme and I've had people pay up to 25 pounds for my album...double what an album would cost on itunes.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by rockfan7

I agree mostly with this. I think 6-8 bucks for a cd is a little too cheap, though. I'd say anywhere from 10 to 14 is reasonable for a single disc, and maybe 15-20 for a double disc.

I think vinyl should be regarded as rare and valuable. With this in mind, I think the band should only press a few copies, depending on how big their fan base is. This way, they can auction the vinyl records on ebay and the fans can bid on it. This method is extremely well done by The Mars Volta. It's very hard getting any of their older albums on vinyl. When supply is down, demand goes up and so does the price. The fan will feel happy knowing he has something very rare that most other fans would bust a nut to have, and the band gets more money.

I like the idea of cheap concert tickets. This will be good for someone to go to their show who doesn't really know them but just wants to have a good time. I also like the idea of at least 5 bands on each tour (like the rockstar energy tours), where the first few bands are completely unknown followed by the headliners who are well known. This gets the lesser known bands more exposure. Cheap shirts are also great because the fans will be like walking billboard signs for the band.
Quote by Blayney
It costs so much less to put it as download only. They want more people to buy digital as it increases their profit margins. Hence they get the bonus tracks. Not someone buying the physical disc.

Sucks I know, but it's an industry like any other. Reduce your costs, increase profit margin, get rich.

I know why they do it. I'm just saying they shouldn't it's like a slap in the face to the people who actually go out of their way to support a band, and slapping those people in the face isn't a good thing

Quote by JohnSmith85

Yeah it's prolly a little too cheap, and I love getting rare things that is a great idea. It also makes the fans buy it fast so they can get it before anyone else, having the number of which it is also helps. Things like that are always too expensive because they're suppose to be collectable though.

And the tours with unknown bands are always great, some of my favorite bands I discovered that way (House of Heroes/Ludo). And the shirt thing is really a no brainer, because I bring $30 to a concert I can only get like one shirt and a sticker, if they were cheaper I would have something from all the bands on display and it's just great.
Last edited by rockfan7 at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by rockfan7
I know why they do it. I'm just saying they shouldn't it's like a slap in the face to the people who actually go out of their way to support a band, and slapping those people in the face isn't a good thing

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

I also think it is cool for a band to sell their CD for like maybe $8 - $10 bucks, but then have a 'deluxe' edition with maybe some of the original demos or whatever for $12 or so, maybe one with a live DVD for $15 - $18.......options, that's the key.

I also miss labels releasing compilations of new music, but I guess YouTube and the internet in general makes that a stupid idea now...
record labels should finally stop getting paid so much. there job is kind of important but they take a bigger cut from the money as they deserve for what they do.
and some artists go way over the line as well. like when a few days ago that eminem guy earned 1.1 million euros (1,587,629 USD) for 1 90 minute preformance.

it's ridiculous. the artists should get paid less but the labels should also get a smaller cut so the artists still get a huge amount of money while the price of cd's and shit drops
Quote by katalyzt13

I also miss labels releasing compilations of new music, but I guess YouTube and the internet in general makes that a stupid idea now...

This. I think every magazine should come with a sampler cd of various new music. The internet is nice, but not everyone wants to or can become a siamese twin with it.

I also like the idea of a fan club for the band, where the members of the club are able to buy concert tickets before they go on sale to the public. Also, fan club members would be able to buy albums for a discounted price. Say the band's album is originally 12.99 for everyone else, the fan clubs will be able to buy it for 6.99 since they are already paying a monthly membership.
Last edited by JohnSmith85 at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by JohnSmith85
This. I think every magazine should come with a sampler cd of various new music. The internet is nice, but not everyone wants to or can become a siamese twin with it.

I also like the idea of a fan club for the band, where the members of the club are able to buy concert tickets before they go on sale to the public. Also, fan club members would be able to buy albums for a discounted price.

Smaller labels still do sample cd's. I bought an unexpect CD from Ascendance records and got a sampler. Shit was cool, yall.

Oh, and the fan clubs thing did happen with some bands, but it has died out now.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger