Hey guys,

Today I went to have my guitar repaired. My low E nut slot had been sanded down about 1mm by the winding on the string and it cause it to have open string fret buzz which sounded horribly through the amp. I went in for a Gibson TUSQ nut but sadly it was a bit smaller than my LTD's nut. So, instead of repairing it, the luthier put a piece of cardboard underneath the nut and it worked out great and eliminated the fret buzz.

Here's the troubling part:

He said my neck had too much downwards bow so he tightened the truss rod. I know you're supposed to turn about 1/4 of a turn at a time and really slow. But he gave about 3 half turns in about 10 seconds.

Will this somehow damage my truss rod? I will wait a day to see the results on the neck but I wanna know beforehand.

Thanks,

SAHM
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Quote by SupahStrat
Hey guys,

Today I went to have my guitar repaired. My low E nut slot had been sanded down about 1mm by the winding on the string and it cause it to have open string fret buzz which sounded horribly through the amp. I went in for a Gibson TUSQ nut but sadly it was a bit smaller than my LTD's nut. So, instead of repairing it, the luthier put a piece of cardboard underneath the nut and it worked out great and eliminated the fret buzz.

Here's the troubling part:

He said my neck had too much downwards bow so he tightened the truss rod. I know you're supposed to turn about 1/4 of a turn at a time and really slow. But he gave about 3 half turns in about 10 seconds.

Will this somehow damage my truss rod? I will wait a day to see the results on the neck but I wanna know beforehand.

Thanks,

SAHM

I'd imagine the most damaging thing adjusting a truss rod too quickly could do is either break the bond between the fretboard and neck, or cause a fret to come loose(assuming it wasn't very tight to begin with). So if neither one of those things happened, you're probably good.

I'd be more concerned about using cardboard under the nut instead of something stronger.
yeah usually you'll want to micro shim with something as hard as the nut.

but forgetting that for a minute...

we say to turn a little at a time, so that the at home guy doesnt break the neck,
or snap the rod when running past the limit the nut can be turned.

if you trusted this luthier and he was confident enough to adjust that much,
that fast, AND you like the end result, then like said, i guess it worked out.

personally, i usually dont find my guitars need that much adjusting.

so basically...

How does the guitar play now?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011