Which guitar should I get? I cannot find them in stores nor used so I can't play them however I've heard them been played on youtube videos, but I'd like to know what your opinions of them!

My guitar experience is barely a year now, so help would be appreciated!

side question: What is the difference between a seagull s6 and seagull s6 slim is there any sound differences? (Hopefully not, since I have small girly hands lol) And are there more seagull s6 versions that I am not aware of? :S
the seagull has a fuller sound, the yamaha has a more focused brighter sound. personally i prefer the seagull, but i like 'em both.

the only difference between the original s6 and the s6 slim is the neck width. by the way, i have little girly hands (i'm a 5' 3" female with hands that are small for my height), and i found the wider neck on the seagull was much more comfortable and easier to play.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
the seagull has a fuller sound, the yamaha has a more focused brighter sound. personally i prefer the seagull, but i like 'em both.

the only difference between the original s6 and the s6 slim is the neck width. by the way, i have little girly hands (i'm a 5' 3" female with hands that are small for my height), and i found the wider neck on the seagull was much more comfortable and easier to play.

I'm currently playing on a classical guitar which has quite a wide neck, so my perception of wide might be a bit off since western guitar in general has a smaller neck. So I'll just pick the wider one if I'm gonna buy a s6.
i also started on a classical - the original s6 is definitely narrower than that. and i really liked mine, btw.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
The Yamaha sells for around $300, the Seagull w/case for around $400. Both guitars are well made and will serve you well, but I would go with the Seagull purely for tone.
Man...it's so expensive in Sweden. Like every guitar here cost $100-150 more than the ones in the US. I'm currently on a visit in Florida and find both guitars for a reasonable price then I learned that the shipping was like $100 overseas *facepalm*
Last edited by MrRetardo at Aug 25, 2011,
Not to go off subject but have you tryed the Taylor Big Baby? I was looking in to the seagull before I found that thing. Its awesome and the same price. Sounds so clear and full. If your not interested I prefer the seagull to the yamaha.
costs more, thinner neck, and to my ear not even close to the tone on an s6. still, does have a hint of that taylor upper end sparkle.

Quote by Briyan_15
Not to go off subject but have you tryed the Taylor Big Baby? I was looking in to the seagull before I found that thing. Its awesome and the same price. Sounds so clear and full. If your not interested I prefer the seagull to the yamaha.
Quote by Skeet UK
the action can be changed on ANY guitar, and since sometimes stores tweak the action a bit higher so the guys who strum the hardest can't get the guitars to buzz, there's no way to know for sure what you'd get.

that being said, i find the yamahas and the seagulls have very similar factory action, which is too high for me. i've owned both, and in many cases my husband carefully lowers the action of all our guitars, and we have and have had many.
Quote by Skeet UK
I don't really have any experience on modding guitars...Can I manually lower the action by myself or do I have to go to a music store to do it? If so, how much does it cost?
my husband does our setups, but he does all our work. you can do it, but patience is important - if you go too far, you'll have to buy a new saddle and nut. it costs around $30 to $60 depending on the luthier and location, and it's a very good thing to do for any guitar.

some info on setups from a master guitar tech - his entire site is well worth reading.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html
Quote by Skeet UK