Hey everyone, I recently brought my guitar in to get restrung, I got it tuned to Drop A# and it sounds fine, except for the 4th string (D#)

It literally skips from F (2nd fret) to G (3rd fret) It's like I'm missing the F#, as if I jumped from the 2nd fret to the 4th, I am missing the F#. I have never heard this happen in my life, and I'm sure I can bring it in and get it fixed for free, but, I was wondering if anyone had any home remedy instead of lugging my guitar 20 miles south to the shop I got it restrung at.

Thanks.

EDIT: I found out my 3rd and 4th fret are the exact same pitch.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
sounds like a truss rod/action adjustment would fix it. if you don't know how to do that i suggest you get on google and read up real good before trying it yourself.

....you took it to have someone restring it for you??? why?
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
It's an Ibanez with the Edge 2 Trem, I can restring guitars without tremolo systems, but when it comes to getting the springs and a block of wood and shit, I'll bring it to a shop for 10 bucks to clean it up and shit too.

I'll try adjusting the action, and I'll see if that helps.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Then the 4th fret is probably too tall, and the string is touching it when you press it against the 3rd. That's one possibility, anyway.

If you apparently don't even restring the guitar yourself, you should leave fret/neck adjustments to someone else.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
your 4th fret seems to be a bit too high in that point on the string. preventing the third fret to not ring out F#. odd that it's not affecting other strings or the 2nd fret on the same string too...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Alright, I mean, I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to this, but how would I go about adjusting the frets? I tried moving the action up and down, and that didn't help at all.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by MattAnderson111
Alright, I mean, I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to this, but how would I go about adjusting the frets? I tried moving the action up and down, and that didn't help at all.

Nobody implied that you were an idiot.

But the fact that you have someone restring your guitar for you suggests that you don't have enough experience to do neck adjustments and especially fret leveling. First I would read up on these two topics, there are mountains of tutorials online. Then decide if you want to proceed by yourself or have a professional do it.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
OP, PLEASE state that you had a floyd type trem before people think you're dumb

OT: souns like a high fret, might need a pro to level it
Quote by MattAnderson111
It's an Ibanez with the Edge 2 Trem, I can restring guitars without tremolo systems, but when it comes to getting the springs adjusted and a block of wood and shit, I'll bring it to a shop for 10 bucks to clean it up and shit too.

I'll try adjusting the action, and I'll see if that helps.

-___-
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Last edited by MattAnderson111 at Aug 24, 2011,