Page 1 of 2
I just don't understand the reason behind them. Most live albums I hear just sound like the studio album with reverb and the crowd's applause. What makes live albums so special? Why not just go see the band in person?
I never understood them either. I guess the idea is to capture the band's energy live, but it doesn't really work unless you're there.
Close your eyes and pretend that you're at the show damn it.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Depends on the band really. Some bands perform their songs differently live so it won't sound like the studio version.

Some people like live albums because they lack the resources to attend a concert of the band, so a live CD is the closest they can get to the real deal.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by FireHawk
Live DVDs are sometimes cool. Live CDs are a waste for me.

Besides the fact that most Live albums have some of the tracks re-tracked in a studio...

Exactly! A lot of bands just use overdubs on it anyway, so it's really not even a live album.
It's just a different vibe. I love seeing bands live, but I can't go to a concert every god damn night of my life, so I love to listen to live recordings and albums when I'm just chilling. You should be able to feel the vibe that the band is giving off. Plus live recordings usually have more energy/extended jams, etc. that aren't always captured on the studio recordings.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by institutions
It'd be kind of hard to see Pink Floyd in person...

So PULSE it is.

I can see why you would want to watch the DVD, but why listen to the live CD?
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Some bands perform their songs differently live so it won't sound like the studio version.

this. especially with some prog rock or psychedelic rock where half of it is just long jam sessions or bluegrass or jazz where it's heavily improvised.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by JohnSmith85

Because sometimes music is more than just "watching"
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by JohnSmith85

Because when they play live they change up parts of the songs.
The PULSE version of Comfortably Numb, for example, is much longer and imo better than the album version.

/flameshield
Quote by institutions
Because when they play live they change up parts of the songs.
The PULSE version of Comfortably Numb, for example, is much longer and imo better than the album version.

/flameshield

Agreed. Same with Breathe. I swear everytime I listen to the Pulse version of Breathe I get f*cking chills everywhere on my body.
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by JohnSmith85
I just don't understand the reason behind them. Most live albums I hear just sound like the studio album with reverb and the crowd's applause. What makes live albums so special? Why not just go see the band in person?

You obviously haven't heard a good live band.

For example:

Springsteen
studio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XG_iVvCKpY
live - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292685uu5jI

The Who
studio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwiw1KJbg70
live - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jJLE791xfk

even if you don't look at the video, the audio is obviously on an entirely different level in both situations.

People assume that artists always write for the studio. But that is not always the case. There are many artists who write for the stage and consider their studio versions to be secondary to what they do with the song live. This is an extremely different way to go about both writing and performing.
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by shredibanez24
Agreed. Same with Breathe. I swear everytime I listen to the Pulse version of Breathe I get f*cking chills everywhere on my body.

Hmm..
I like the album version of Breathe better :/
On DSOTM there is that explosion of sound between Speak to Me and Breathe that they just couldn't do live D:
Same with the explosion of sound into Eclipse
Maybe there are some exceptional bands, but most live albums I hear literally sound like studio albums with reverb. Also, do none of you care that most live albums have studio overdubs?
Quote by institutions
Hmm..
I like the album version of Breathe better :/
On DSOTM there is that explosion of sound between Speak to Me and Breathe that they just couldn't do live D:
Same with the explosion of sound into Eclipse

Ahhh I guess it's because I listened to the live version so much I've just grown accustomed to it haha.
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by JohnSmith85
Maybe there are some exceptional bands, but most live albums I hear literally sound like studio albums with reverb. Also, do none of you care that most live albums have studio overdubs?

Again, not the good ones, and if they do, its not where it matters (on the good ones at least)
Well, I would only buy a live album if the Artist is question is well known for either A) An excellent live show, or B) The songs are dramatically different from the studio versions. For example, the Grateful Dead. Also, in regards to studio overdubs, while some artists will do that, there is a significant portion who do not. It just depends on what artists you listen to.
Listen to Colors by Between the Buried and Me. You'll think 'how the hell do they pull that shit off live?'

Then watch Colors_Live, and be blown away.

I think some artists, if their material is hard to play, do it to prove to people that they can actually play what they put down in the studio. There was a lot of skepticism about Protest the Hero after they released Fortress, but they brought out a live DVD with songs from that album on it and I don't think Luke Hoskin actually misses a single note.
Language is the heart's lament, a weak attempt to circumvent the loneliness inherent in the search for permanence.
[quote="'[Arran"]']Listen to Colors by Between the Buried and Me. You'll think 'how the hell do they pull that shit off live?'

I think some artists, if their material is hard to play, do it to prove to people that they can actually play what they put down in the studio. There was a lot of skepticism about Protest the Hero after they released Fortress, but they brought out a live DVD with songs from that album on it and I don't think Luke Hoskin actually misses a single note.
Yeah, this is a perfect example. I was EXTREMELY skeptical of PTH after Fortress (Hell, even during some of Kezia), but then I saw footage of them live and earlier this year I actually saw them live, and they were flawless. It's amazing.
It depends on the band. I prefer Nine Inch Nails' live albums to their studio albums.
Watch Slane Castle, listen to Hyde Park. Live RHCP are 100000000x better than studio RHCP, How The West Was Won was also great b/c i'll never get to see Zeppelin live so its the closest I've got
I usually hate live albums. Example: I once bought an REO Speedwagon greatest hits CD, but as I combed my hair back, put on my tight jeans and ripped shirt, and was about to rock out to "Can't Fight This Feeling," I was bombarded with some shitty applause and between-song banter. **** that.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Gorelord666
Close your eyes and pretend that you're at the show damn it.

Stop stealing my posts.

Live shows can vary wildly from studio recordings. I think it's fun.
Live albums are da bomb. Different production style, different vibe, different character, more energy. I usually go DVD though with live stuff, unless its just too awesome to not have on hand all the time.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!

No overdubs, no stage banter, no bullshit. One of the best live albums ever recorded.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I like them, as I'm more of a fan of the "raw" sound that you're more likely to get from a live album, than in a studio. A few examples.....

Judas Priest - Victim of Changes
Live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9zyviTTmQ
Studio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSU1W0ZUmQ

Iced Earth - Burning Times
Live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-5WlpSBEg
Studio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btd2KxXOvNc

Slayer - World Painted Blood
Live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgUcc-dV3jc
Studio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuFWcJCWqDM
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
[quote="'[Arran"]']Listen to Colors by Between the Buried and Me. You'll think 'how the hell do they pull that shit off live?'

I don't even really listen to metal anymore, and I dug that.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Depends on the band really. Some bands perform their songs differently live so it won't sound like the studio version.

This.
I'd rather own a live Phish album than a studio album.
And honestly, I can feel the energy in a live recording more than a studio recording. I prefer live to studio.

Are you kidding? PTH's dvd was the worst live dvd I've ever seen.

Oh and get mad haters.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 24, 2011,
For some artists I think it's pointless.

Like, I got that new Megadeth Rust In Peace Live album. It was just Rust in Peace. Live. There wasn't anything special about it, really.

But then there's bands like The Gaslight Anthem, who don't necessarily release live albums, but their fans bootleg their live sets, and it's just absolutely amazing. They're the type of band who play their songs different every time.
Quote by StewieSwan

Oh and get mad haters.

This.

And:

This is not only the best live album ever, but half the songs on here are better than the real versions.
^Holy shit, how did I forget that album? Pure GOLD.

Quote by StewieSwan
Oh and get mad haters.

PtH's DVD was shit because the mix was atrocious and Rody's performance was horribly inconsistent.

Also, when I saw Dragonforce in 2006 they were phenomenal. I never understood the hate

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Lost Dog
I never understood them either. I guess the idea is to capture the band's energy live, but it doesn't really work unless you're there.

I came here to say that. Recordings can seem kind of sterile in comparison to the live versions. You play something maybe 12 times sitting in a room and try and keep it from sounding sterile
Quote by Das_Skittles
^Holy shit, how did I forget that album? Pure GOLD.

PtH's DVD was shit because the mix was atrocious and Rody's performance was horribly inconsistent.

Also, when I saw Dragonforce in 2006 they were phenomenal. I never understood the hate

I think it's Sam Totman's fault. When I saw them, I was convinced that I was a better player than him. But he sounds pretty good in the link posted earlier. Maybe he was just really drunk for a few shows.

edit: Although ZP's high notes suck.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Aug 24, 2011,
Page 1 of 2