Question about guitar players that come out of git(musician's institute)?

why is it that when i hear many of them,no matter what they play there's always this losangeles fusion sound to there playing?it doesn't matter what style it just sounds like they phrase their licks that way...
They are taught that combining rock and jazz together is like whiskey and coke. Some think it is sacriligious to mix the two, others just enjoy the taste and the buzz of the alcohol and caffene.

Sorry im quite high, this is a bit weird
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by UntilISleep
Real guitar players play fusion.

Based on?

Quote by Sir-Shredalot
They are taught that combining rock and jazz together is like whiskey and coke. Some think it is sacriligious to mix the two, others just enjoy the taste and the buzz of the alcohol and caffene.

That actually makes sense, although I'm not a fan of fusion at all.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot

Holy shit, a caffeine buzz from a coke? I wish.
Quote by bambi_slaughter
Holy shit, a caffeine buzz from a coke? I wish.

Maybe Four Loko is more your speed...
e-single
I'll just imagine that you're referring to graduates who don't have imagination when I answer this... In short, what's happened is that the students will learn certain scales, and arppegios, phrases, ect, ect. Now, while a creative player will take what they've learned and make new ideas with it, many will just reiterate what they've learned, as "licks" and things they can easily fall back on because it's easy. So, everyone starts to sound homogenous. At least, that's my theory.
Quote by EC_AL_JH_GH
I'll just imagine that you're referring to graduates who don't have imagination when I answer this... In short, what's happened is that the students will learn certain scales, and arppegios, phrases, ect, ect. Now, while a creative player will take what they've learned and make new ideas with it, many will just reiterate what they've learned, as "licks" and things they can easily fall back on because it's easy. So, everyone starts to sound homogenous. At least, that's my theory.

Probably this. It's not just really advanced guitarists though, it's everyone. We can all learn and get a bit better at guitar but the more advanced you become the easier it becomes to sound like 'any other guitar player'.

A lot of people starting out have more character to their playing than they do a few years down the line when they know more about what they're doing.. It's hard to keep the originality. You need to avoid falling back into muscle memory i guess and playing the same old licks.
its okay to come out, UG is pretty friendly and reassuring with that subject
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO