is there a pedal or some kind of mod i can do to my guitar/Amp to produce the sound of being in drop D, C#, C or lower, or is this only attainable by actually de-tuning the string(s) using the tuning keys? i want to know for 2 reasons.

Reason 1: I LOVE a good tremolo system (Ibanez modern mid/mid-high trems, or one of the GFS licensed by floyd tremolos, or something mid to high quality) with a set of either 10-46 or 11-50 or so, and i really DO NOT want to have to mess with my tuning once i have it set-up by a professional.. i have had QUITE A FEW tuning/playing (Fret Buzz, Etc.) problems by doing that, the strings have a BAD tendency to snap off and when i am bending/hitting the tremolo for a dive-bomb/pull up on the tremolo, and i really hate screwing around with the inotation, ETC.

Reason 2: i hate having to re-tune from E standard from drop D or lower ALL the time.. but honestly who doesn't?

With the reasons i have said, i am sure i read in an old book about metal techniques that marty friedman had something that could do it without re-tuning his guitar 24/7.

anyone know of something that can do that?
Current Playing Gear:
Johnson DeQ 2 Distortion Pedal
Peavey ValveKing 1x12 50W Tube Combo
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
I believe you may be looking for a Morpheus DropTune pedal.

VIDEOedit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnXRT533hp0
Last edited by Spartan101400 at Aug 24, 2011,
^ i have a pitch shift pedal, all it does is add a second guitar part to original signal that sounds like a low budget 80's horror movie
Current Playing Gear:
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
Well, you could always use an EVH De-Tuna to go from E to Drop D, or Eb to Drop C#

Besides that, then the Morpheus Drop Tune would be the way to go if you want to change the pitch of all the strings, and not just the E.

You might be confusing a Pitch Shift with a Harmonizer.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
^nope, my its one of the features on my behringer Multi-FX 600 pedal. and that is what it does.. even my buddy asked me 'Do you have a harmonizer?' not sure of the reason why it does that.. tried using it as a harmonizer a few times and it didn't do the job XD
Current Playing Gear:
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
Quote by codymrc
^nope, my its one of the features on my behringer Multi-FX 600 pedal. and that is what it does.. even my buddy asked me 'Do you have a harmonizer?' not sure of the reason why it does that.. tried using it as a harmonizer a few times and it didn't do the job XD

That's because you are using a Behringer Pitch Shifter

I would know, I have a pitch shifter on my Behringer mixer..

The Behringer Pitch Shift does exactly what you said. It applies a duplicated signal, tuned to a different pitch.

A Morpheus Droptune, on the other hand, takes your signal and detunes it.

Here is a Guitar World video of the Droptune.

(just watch from 1 min)

http://youtu.be/UnXRT533hp0?t=1m1s

As you can see, it's not your average cheap pitch pedal.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Last edited by Joe-Floyd-lover at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by codymrc
^ i have a pitch shift pedal, all it does is add a second guitar part to original signal that sounds like a low budget 80's horror movie

You can get better ones. Some blend te pitches together and some totally replace the original pitch. The digitech RP-350 offers both functions.