I think I need a comp/ sustain but Im not sure which one to buy... I dont want a keeley, too expinsive, but I also dont want a berhinger, too cheap. I thought Id go in the middle like a mxr dyna comp or a BBE Main squeeze... ANY THOUGHTS?
Fender US Strat-Fender MX Strat-Fender US Tele-Epiphone Sheraton II>Cry Baby Wah-Boss TU3-Nano clean boost-Boss SD1-BBE Green Screamer-Mxr '78 Distortion-Visual Sound Chorus-Digitech Digi Delay-HardWire RV7 Reverb-Digitech Jamman>Fender Frontman 212R
or a used visual sounds comp66. got mine for $50 and it's decent. i tried a few pricier ones but preferred the vs.

on the cheap it's pretty good. others may rec some decent ones, good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
you get what you pay for.

the lower priced ones tend to add a bit of noisyness to the overall sound.

diamond is the benchmark for good price, great tone.
mojostompboxes.com
I don't use compressors, but my studio friends swear by the VS Comp 66, MXR Custom Comp, and (surprisingly) Digitech Main Sqeeze. And one built himself a super-fancy optical/tube compressor for like $20 (plus tubes) that I think sounds amazing, but I don't think that's an option for everybody.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Keeley 4 knob!
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
i bought a used guyatone compressor for 35 bucks plus shipping (from guitar center) and i cant ask for more.

you think it looks sheap, but its a little rock. simple, quality parts. doesnt add too much noise. adds about as much compression as a MXR.

has a seperate level so it can be used as a clean boost, but only adds a slight boost. not as much as teh level on my EQ, which goes up to 15 DB. if i could compare, it would say it will actually only boost your signal no more than 3 DB.

letm e put it this way - if i every see a good price on any more guyatone micro series, im buying them.
My buddy has the MXR Custom Comp and it sounds fantabulous.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
A compressor pedal basically "squishes" the signal form your guitar, it reduces the dynamics giving the volume a more or less uniform feel, so there is basically less difference in the notes you play hardly and the notes you play softly. Not for every kind of music but they do have their uses.

OP, you could try and get a used Pigronix Philoophers Tone - I haven't used one but a lot of people get on with them pretty well. I would advise trying one though. Used you can get them for around £65/$100 which is around the price of a Boss CS3 here in the UK.
cool, thanks guys, I have some comparing to do.
Fender US Strat-Fender MX Strat-Fender US Tele-Epiphone Sheraton II>Cry Baby Wah-Boss TU3-Nano clean boost-Boss SD1-BBE Green Screamer-Mxr '78 Distortion-Visual Sound Chorus-Digitech Digi Delay-HardWire RV7 Reverb-Digitech Jamman>Fender Frontman 212R
The mxr super compressor is a nice pedal.