Hey guys!

I was hoping you could help me with this annoying buzz I'm getting from my electric guitar. I've looked into it A LOT but still can't find out what's wrong. So here are the details:

Gibson SG Standard
Roland Cube 30X

Basically, the guitar hums a lot when I don't touch any metal parts. A lot of people suggested this is a grounding problem but I've checked all wires except for the ground wire touching the bridge and they seem well attached. I used a multimeter from the strings to the jack and there seems to be very little resistance (.4) which was basically the amount if I put both cables on the jack.

When I turn the volume on the SG itself up and down the humming seems to respond (humming maximizes around 8 and goes down on its way to 10). Both pickups have the hum individually and it seems like the hum is lessened by a small amount when using both pickups simultaneously.

I tested the problem on another guitar and it is significantly reduced but I still hear a noise. Also, when the cable is plugged into the amp but not a guitar there is a loud buzzing noise as well (I'm not sure if that's relevant).

My amp only has two prongs (no ground prong) and I have not been able to test my problem on a different amplifier (Don't have any friends that play guitar).

I've also used different outlets in my house but never tested if the problem persisted in other people's homes. My home is only a 10 years old though if gives a clue as to the effectiveness of the electrical wiring.

Anyways, ask me any questions and I really appreciate anybody helping me. It's gotten to the point where I want to just attach a piece of metal from my hand to tge jack and have that silence it completely but I feel like there should be a better, permanent solution.
Last edited by trogdor5 at Aug 25, 2011,
When I got my first ever guitar I also soon discovered the hum factor. I just went to work on it and silenced the hum to inaudible levels without having to continually touch the bridge. I do this to all my guitars now. I'm an electrical engineer so it wasn't hard to work out the ground loops in the internal wiring perpetuates the hum and the lack of shielding allows coupled noise from your body to enter the pickups and electronics

Then I discovered UG years later and within UG I discovered this thread which nicely sums up what I would have tried to re-hash in words!

Check it out. This may help you. At the very minimum you'll approach the reasoning from a different angle.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1032138

good luck.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Aug 25, 2011,
It may be a result of the amp not being grounded... But I'm not sure. Do you have a lot of other electronics running nearby? In order to say anything definitively you need to isolate each possible cause. Try different outlets, amps, cords, guitars etc.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
It may be a result of the amp not being grounded... But I'm not sure. Do you have a lot of other electronics running nearby? In order to say anything definitively you need to isolate each possible cause. Try different outlets, amps, cords, guitars etc.

You can isolate the amp, by disconnecting the guitar cord from the amp entirely. If the amp still buzzes or hums then try a different outlet in a different room or consider getting a power filter for the outlet.

If the amp sounds quiet, then you can isolate the guitar cable by plugging the cable into the amp and then shorting the tip with the ground at the connector end which normally plugs into the guitar. If the amp still buzzes then the cable is picking up the noise and should consider changing it a good quality one. If the amp goes quiet, then the amp and cable are all good.

To which, you're back and having to look at the guitar itself.