Page 1 of 5
Ive listened to it like 3 times in a row now. I still dont get what the big deal is about it. Its a nice sounding song, but I dont think its super special or anything.... Maybe people like it because its the first "deep" song they have heard? ( as opposed to radio/pop rock ).

Can anyone explain why everyone is frothing at the mouth about this song, or why people rage when I tell them I dont want to learn how to play "stairway too heaven."
Could it be that Led Zeppelin is over rated? Maybe a combination of factors.
Can't tell if serious.... hmm
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
I thought the same thing when I fist heard it.

I don't know what it was that made it enjoyable for me, because I thought it was boring the first few times I heard it. Maybe try and learn it on guitar?
It was just an iconic song of its time. Not everyone likes it, but everyone knows it.
Because, Boobs
I see what you mean yea I thought about that too, and then i listened to it when i was really messed up last week... just WOW... changed my life lol
My Gear:

2010 Fender American Deluxe Sunburst Stratocaster HSS (1st Choice)
Ibanez RG 5EX1 (2nd Choice)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Digitech Time Bender Delay
Boss BF-2 Flanger)
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
I didn't really see the big deal at first, then it grew on me. It's a nice song, sometimes you have to listen beyond the song to get the full experience. But if you don't like it, then that's perfectly fine. Everyone has their own taste in music, your's just sucks
On a scale from 1 to 10, i would rate it a 7. It's ok, nothing godly though.
its a real question, no joking.

These are 3 songs of a similar style ( slow, acoustic elements, soft, deep, magical/spiritual ) that I think are better than Stairway.

Temple of the King http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3mKYASycg

Rainbow Eyes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaRTocPWbhQ

Catch the Rainbow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZFKw3BhveI

( of course, its all relative whatcha like.... )
It was ahead of its time and stood out because of that.

As far as Zeppelin being overrated goes.. LOL. When you're one of the biggest bands in history like The Beatles or the Stones I guess there's always someone with that opinion. You'll learn..

You answered your own question when you wrote the words "It's all relative to what you like."

See, once there were a coupla bigoted Christians, who decided to listen to it backwards-

Oh the question wasnt about the satanic messages nvm.
Opinions and shit, yo. A lot just happened to have the same one at the same time. I'm guessing it was something along the lines of OH MY FUCKING GOD.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Yea, it's ok now because it's been around for ****ing ever and tons of songs have been written that are similar.

I love it but it's not required that you like it or anything.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
woohoo i actually have the answer!

So jimmy page on an interview prior to the release of the song said something,when questioned, along the lines of: At the moment I'm working on a difficult song unlike most others. What i've done is more like having a few songs in one.

So i mean thats not really exactly what he said, but it's the same exact idea.

with that being said, when it released he was right. IT was a revolutionary song with many pieces that fit together like a puzzle and it was very well received for such a radical song

and thats basically why people like it(other than that it's all in all a nice tune).

don't hate me if it's not spot on word for word, it's the best I can do :p
By the way all of this information i got from watching quite a few documentaries and interviews of rock n roll bands/ people from that era
Quote by Macabre Lullaby

Wait, so not only did I NOT get drunk, I also got PREGNANT and didn't even get any homosex out of it. Worst night ever.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
My girlfriend's doing a double degree in law. I think dick jokes are funny.
No, I'd have to agree with Tim. Any moron on here will just say "ZOMG NOOB, IT IS THE BEST SONG EVARRRRzzZ!!" without actually validating their statement. I love the song, and it's fun to play, but I don't understand why it is seen as so amazing.
Why is any song amazing?
Are we here? Is this real?

Arpeggio.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by Thomathon
No, I'd have to agree with Tim. Any moron on here will just say "ZOMG NOOB, IT IS THE BEST SONG EVARRRRzzZ!!" without actually validating their statement. I love the song, and it's fun to play, but I don't understand why it is seen as so amazing.

Because it's been forty years, this year.

Forty years. How many things do you know of that have stood that long and people still love it, especially considering how new the music industry is? It was a revolutionary song at the time. Now it's one of those accepted things and people forget why it's a classic. Not many songs from 1971 come on modern radio anymore.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Because it's been forty years, this year.

Forty years. How many things do you know of that have stood that long and people still love it, especially considering how new the music industry is? It was a revolutionary song at the time. Now it's one of those accepted things and people forget why it's a classic. Not many songs from 1971 come on modern radio anymore.

How was it revolutionary? It seems pretty bland and average to me with a pathetic excuse for a solo.
Quote by rocknroll radio
woohoo i actually have the answer!

So jimmy page on an interview prior to the release of the song said something,when questioned, along the lines of: At the moment I'm working on a difficult song unlike most others. What i've done is more like having a few songs in one.

So i mean thats not really exactly what he said, but it's the same exact idea.

with that being said, when it released he was right. IT was a revolutionary song with many pieces that fit together like a puzzle and it was very well received for such a radical song

Bohemian Rhapsody, it's been called a copy of Stairway because it introduces soft and heavy elements in it, and it consists of multiple parts with different styles: Soft rock, Opera (sort of), and heavier (at the time) rock. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
I love Zeppelin. Its unbelievable how almost every song that they wrote is iconic and recognizable to people who dont really listen to them.

AC/DC on the other hand... I really dont get the big deal about them. Their songs give me headaches
Quote by Skullivan
Bohemian Rhapsody, it's been called a copy of Stairway because it introduces soft and heavy elements in it, and it consists of multiple parts with different styles: Soft rock, Opera (sort of), and heavier (at the time) rock. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Thanks! thats pretty great, never heard that before. more knowledge
Quote by Macabre Lullaby

Wait, so not only did I NOT get drunk, I also got PREGNANT and didn't even get any homosex out of it. Worst night ever.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
My girlfriend's doing a double degree in law. I think dick jokes are funny.
SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN

*cough* SATAN

That's probably a large part of it, just the sheer "bodacity" of it. Or something. The song pretty much blows if we're being honest here
Quote by Vorpal_Chainsaw
It's Art of Life lite.

I'd hardly put STH in the same league as Art of Life but I appreciate any reference to X Japan so

I don't see the big deal with Stairway, same with November Rain and a lot of other 'classic' or 'epic' songs
I think it has to do with the length of the song and the legend which precedes it.

When you listen to it for the first time:
1. You probably already heard that it's "ZOMFG, teh best song EEVVAAAARRGHH!"
2. Because of the length and "nature" of the song, you actually have to sit and listen, you can't just be cooking while you hear it. Therefore you are much more aware of all the details and musical skill and appreciate it more.

Also...
Quote by mike_anderson25
Why is any song amazing?
Are we here? Is this real?

Arpeggio.

There are millions of chords but you only need 4 to play wonderwall.
Yeah I'm totally with the OP on this one. Not Led Zeppelin's best song (then again I don't even really like Led Zeppelin). It's a good song, no doubt about it, I just can not stand to listen to it because it's been played to death. That and it's a go to song for 13 year old kids who want to seem like they're above modern music by listening to classic rock. I've been there. It sucks
Quote by G.Krizzel
Also...

There are millions of chords but you only need 4 to play wonderwall.

- Rene Magritte
It's the fact that they wrote such a great song in their 'caveman' like time that makes it so great.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
people always say the solo is "bland" but the studio version isnt the solo that is so praised. Its the live Solo from The Song Remains the Same Tour in '73. that one is almost 3 minutes long and its freaking awesome
Quote by toothless tim
Ive listened to it like 3 times in a row now. I still dont get what the big deal is about it. Its a nice sounding song, but I dont think its super special or anything.... Maybe people like it because its the first "deep" song they have heard? ( as opposed to radio/pop rock ).

Can anyone explain why everyone is frothing at the mouth about this song, or why people rage when I tell them I dont want to learn how to play "stairway too heaven."
Could it be that Led Zeppelin is over rated? Maybe a combination of factors.

SEARCH STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN REVERSED. U WILL BE SHOCKED
And now I'm beginning to understand why all of these artist are coming out and saying that rock is dead...
My Rig: Gibson SG Menace
Gibson Les Paul Menace (Heavy Modded Project)
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire
Egnater 15W Tweaker, 112 Cab
Stairway to Heaven blows hard.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Well, first of all, it has a huge cultural significance because of how huge of a leap it was musically. I mean, look at most songs (even now!), they all seem to follow the:

Intro (optional)
verse
verse
chorus
verse
chorus
bridge (or solo)
chorus
chorus (raised a semitone, and fading out)

But here is this song that is over 7 minutes long (most songs were three minutes long or they didn't get played on the radio), and completely out of the norm. It starts out soft and gradually picks up until a grand ending.

I'm rambling, but the main point is that it was incredible for a song as progressive as that to become such a hit.

Also, like a couple people said, perhaps you just need to ease yourself into it. I have no clue how you tried listening to it before, but next time just try when you can sit down in a room alone and completely listen to it, to take it all in.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Page 1 of 5