Hey

I'm looking for a nice shred guitar up to 1k$. Need floyd and prefer actives, but the pickups in the Charvel are fine for me.

I'm worried about schecter quality and the binding being uncomfortable to play. Charvel seems to be finished without a flaw but it's a really simple guitar. No coil taps or flashy stuff. I don't really know if thats a good or bad thing.

I need a guitar that will last forever, I don't plan on selling it ever. I think the hellraiser looks awesome now but it won't age as good as the ProMod. Still the thing that concerns me the most are the stories that the Hellraiser can be very uncomfortable due to the body and binding shape. It's got my favourite pickups and no bolt-on though...

ow the model I mean is Charvel ProMod San dimas MIJ. I've considered JimRoot strat but I need the floyd rose.

Shall I jump in the bandwagon or screw this and buy a simple nonflashy 80's kind of guitar?
Schecter builds great shred and metal guitars. go for the schecter.
Then I whispered in her ear, fear me dear, for I am Death.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
Charvel all the way.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Get a new MIJ one, they are awesome and come with a much nicer case and arguable the same or better quality.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Get the charvel, you can add all that extra stuff like coil taps, actives, etc. It will be a better quality guitar to start off with than the hellraiser. But this could be the decider for you: the charvel's floyd is only able to dive down (and will have better tuning stability), but the hellraiser's is recessed so can dive up and down. Which is more important to you?
charvel
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ATM I'm heading towards Charvel. It's really cheap, I'll have like spare 300 bucks to upgrade it.

But I've got no idea what could I change to make it better? I like the pickups it comes with, korean floyd is cool too. Really it's got everything and nothing at the same time, it amazes me.
if it has 4 conductor pickups you could swap the volume control for a push pull (or push-push) to get schecter's fabled coil tap [sic] options... or maybe go for parallel wiring, it's pretty cool too, arguably better unless you need tones as close as possible to single coils.

maybe swap the volume knob to something that looks a bit cooler.

but other than that, if you like the pickups, you'd only really be spending money for the sake of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Of the two, I'd get the Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas. Simple, well made and a joy to play.

Infact, it's for those reasons I did get a Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas (in Ferrari Red).

I suppose you could swap out the Korean Ping-made Floyd Rose for a German Schaller-made one, but that's not really necessary. The bridge is totally stable and usable as it is.

The pickups are good, pretty much a "standard" Seymour Duncan set for a rock oriented guitar. I'm going to change them eventually, but it's not really a priority.

I use my volume knob to control my gain quite a lot, so the silver knurled barrel style volume knob doesn't really work for me, I like having numbers marked on the knob for reference. For that reason, the only modification that's a priority is a Strat style volume knob. I'm going to use a black Strat "tone" knob...

If you use the volume knob like I do, you might also want to consider soldering a capacitor in parallel with a resistor across the volume control, to prevent treble loss as you roll the volume down.

Other than that, I think you'd be spending money for the sake of spending money.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at Aug 25, 2011,
ah yeah a treble bleed cap would be another thing to do (if you like them)

But yeah i mean if you like it as-is, spending money for the sake of it doesn't make much sense...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only reason i would say the Schecter is if you are like me and don't like compund radius necks. I don't they are quite as extreme as Jackson necks but it's still a turn off for me. plus. Hellraisers go very cheap used if you are willing to go that route. andddd i dont think binding affects playability?? You never know. One could be way more comfortable for you. You need to try them or something similar if at all possible
Charvel....
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm still confused about the choice. Someone offered me ESP LTD MH-1000 for a similar price. It's got the actives I wanted and looks 'expensive for non guitarists. But I don't like the idea of having the lower LTD when I could collect some more for a real ESP. But then theres like a 1000$ hole up to 2k$ that offers nothing new or noticably better.

Charvel looks to be the best craftmanship-wise but mentally I'm still just a kid and it's not as flashy as C-1 or MH-1000, I like having things that look stunning and prestige (as dumb it sounds:/)
Well your a div.

Or the very stereotype of the guy who buys a schecter for all the useless blingy shit whilst convincing yourself your poorly built guitar with branded hardware is any good.

Buy the Charvel. They do pretty ones too if thats what your after.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by MvAgusta
I'm still confused about the choice. Someone offered me ESP LTD MH-1000 for a similar price. It's got the actives I wanted and looks 'expensive for non guitarists. But I don't like the idea of having the lower LTD when I could collect some more for a real ESP. But then theres like a 1000$ hole up to 2k$ that offers nothing new or noticably better.

Charvel looks to be the best craftmanship-wise but mentally I'm still just a kid and it's not as flashy as C-1 or MH-1000, I like having things that look stunning and prestige (as dumb it sounds:/)

Well, it sounds dumb, really dumb.

As good as the flashy crap might look, it's a "good" looking but inferior guitar.
If you are playing it, you don't notice how "great" it looks anyway, but you will feel and hear that it's not as good as it looks.
Quote by MvAgusta

While I completely understand your thoughts, I would advise you not to make your choice because of looks. Anyone worth impressing won't care about your guitars looks.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
eh. I actually really liked the MH 1000. I understand where you're coming from with the looks thing.I go through the same thing sometimes. You want something that sounds, plays AND looks great. If you like the neck, Definitely the Charvel. I don't like the necks though so personally i would take the LTD
Both are nice guitars, just get the one that suits you better. If i had to make a decision i would probably get the charvel.
Quote by a_hub10
Both are nice guitars, just get the one that suits you better. If i had to make a decision i would probably get the charvel.

Says the guy with two Schecters.

Why are you hiding?

All the flashy crap and features Schecter adds on their guitars are the only selling points. When it comes down to playability and overall build quality, Schecter pales in comparison to Charvel.

It's like going to a car dealership and being offered a 50cc scooter that's been pimped out by Xzibit or a bare-bones 1982 Corvette for the same price.
Quote by sk8boardbob2
If you want flashy, SoCals do come in

Candy Magenta

Ooooh, got one of those - PURE AWESOMENESS! But that one is a MIA Production Model.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Pac_man0123
All the flashy crap and features Schecter adds on their guitars are the only selling points. When it comes down to playability and overall build quality, Schecter pales in comparison to Charvel.

It's like going to a car dealership and being offered a 50cc scooter that's been pimped out by Xzibit or a bare-bones 1982 Corvette for the same price.

I'd probably go for the scooter over an '80's vette. The '72 is much better

Why are you hiding?

Quote by Tom 1.0
Well your a div.

Or the very stereotype of the guy who buys a schecter for all the useless blingy shit whilst convincing yourself your poorly built guitar with branded hardware is any good.

Buy the Charvel. They do pretty ones too if thats what your after.

Well that's just a tad rude.

Schecters are exactly what they say, they're bland guitars with a lot of easy to add yourself features for a price that can definitely be argued as "good".

If the only guitar that I could play was a Schecter I certainly wouldn't complain, but the Charvel is the greater out of the two. Greater build quality is the most important thing. My first guitar was the ESP LTD Purple H-1001, and it's flashy has a lot of amazing looks and sounds great. There is a way to have both, but I much prefer to play my beat up Warmoth Strat just because of build quality.

Trust me, it takes a lot more than a coil tap, emgs, and a floyd rose to hold your attention on a guitar. Coil Taps do not sound like single coils, they get close but are not the same. There are higher output passive Pickups that put Actives to shame, the one thing I will give actives is the reduction of noise, which is great for recording. And the trems, honestly I blocked all of mine except for my recent RG3250MZFOB, because the Zero Point Trem is truly amazing and stable.

Check out Ibanez also, great solid guitars with amazing playability. I got my RG3250 for quite an amazing price from Rich on IbanezRules.