Hey!
I want to buy a new distortion pedal.
I'm playing mostly Hard rock(Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Airborne) and Heavy Metal(Black Sabbath, Grave Digger, Iced Earth). I don't play Death/Black Metal.
Now, since it's a large variety, I need a flexible distortion...
I've been thinking:
Vox's Bulldog Distortion
Blackstar DistX
Line 6 DM-4

The first two are all-tube. The DM-4 has a HUGE Variety of distortions, but it is a digital modeler. I wonder if that will hurt the sound on a tube amp.

What do you think?
Quote by eyalcisv

The first two are all-tube.

lolwut? i doubt it. certainly in the case of the blackstar, where i know for a fact it's not. i'd have strong suspicions the vox is nowhere near all-tube either.

Quote by Frankeer
Boss MT-2 would otherwise also work

lolwut?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Boss MT-2? It's a cheap digital.
As for the vox, well, I can see the tube glow in a nice, blueish light. I don't know for the Blackstar, though. How is the Blackstar for old-school NWOBHM?
the mt2 isn't digital

it does sound like ass, but it's all analogue sounding-like-ass

just because there's a tube in it doesn't mean it's all tube, or that it's doing all that much.

Most high gain tube amps use at least 4 gain stages to get high gain overdrive/distortion. Those pedals have one tube, which is two gain stages. Guess what the other gain stages are? Not to mention the clipping circuit.

EDIT: i haven't tried either the blackstar or the vox. They may sound great. I'm just saying to be very careful about buying it because it's tube, because (a) it's probably not as tube as you think and (b) if you already have a tube amp it's debatable if you even need tubes in your pedal. Now, if you think the vox or blackstar sound the best, then get them, just don't get them because they're "tube".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 25, 2011,
Look into the Barber Dirty Bomb.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by eyalcisv
Hey!
I want to buy a new distortion pedal.
I'm playing mostly Hard rock(Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Airborne) and Heavy Metal(Black Sabbath, Grave Digger, Iced Earth). I don't play Death/Black Metal.
Now, since it's a large variety, I need a flexible distortion...
I've been thinking:
Vox's Bulldog Distortion
Blackstar DistX
Line 6 DM-4

The first two are all-tube. The DM-4 has a HUGE Variety of distortions, but it is a digital modeler. I wonder if that will hurt the sound on a tube amp.

What do you think?

What amp are ya playing on??
I've heard the EHX English Muff'n is great for black Sabbath and it's all tube.
Problem is that I'm choosing from second hand sellers, so the variety is really small. Any suggestions about the two I've asked about?
IMO, you should save your money, get your Laney then only pick out an OD or dist. Once you're more familiar with the Laney, you should have a better idea what dirt pedal would be good for you.

Right now you're effectively trying to shoot fishes in the ocean.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.