Ive only been playing 2 years and 1 of that electric. Im just scratching the surface on the technology behind the tone. Over all I'm pretty happy with my current setups. I have Gibson LP studio and I recently picked up a used Fender Strat. I have a Vox wa but aside from that dont run any pedals or effects, just straight into my Fender Blues delux tube amp. Its a got a dirty channel and the distortion when you crank the drive is great with both guitars.

So recently picked up one of these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-AEG10E-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-102960127-i1150882.gc#

Price was right... $140. Its a weak acoustic.. small and clangy, but quite solid amplified. However when I switch to the dirty channel I get this loud hummmmm. Its a very low pitch, but the volume escalates until its increadibly loud. Unlike typical feedback which is a high ringing this is a low hum (but super loud). Anyone know whats causing this?

I have reverb off
I turned off the 'phaser' on the Ibanez
Guitar volume is pretty low also... 3-4
Wa is off
Clean channel sounds great. I cant tell if I like it because its different and its damn fun to plug in different stuff and make different sounds, or because it really does sound cool.

I reference that silly movie because their band features only one guitar and they often show him stomping and overdrive box for a heavy rhythmic distored sound you would expect from someone playing heavy rock

Anyone know why I would be getting that all encompasing hum???

I'm also starting to learn that EVERYTHING sounds pretty damn good through that amp. Probably my best purchase since starting this life long obsession

Cheers folks!
he of tranquil mind
Quote by whoomit
No, no, no.
Fantastic movie, boring guitar setup.
the movie was cute and had potential but Michael Cera literally has no penis. That guy ruins every movie he's in. Nick and Nora's infinate play list.. same story. I will watch any movie that revolves around music no matter how dumb... my god I actually made it through 'bandslam' from beggining to end.

Someone needs to tell Cera to eat a sandwhich, go do some pushups, shave that dopey fro that was last cute when he was 4 years old and act like he's still got the set of balls god gave him.

Back to the point... I had never seen someone play an acoustic like it was an SG or something.

So why is mine hummmmmmmmmMMMMMMing so damn loud?
he of tranquil mind
Last edited by fishmike at Aug 25, 2011,
I'm willing to bet they only showed him using an acoustic guitar to match up with the comic book.
(Invalid img)
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by fishmike
Back to the point... I had never seen someone play an acoustic like it was an SG or something.

So why is mine hummmmmmmmmMMMMMMing so damn loud?

Because he wasn't actually playing an acoustic...films utilise a brilliant technology that we call "Acting".

You don't want to juice an acoustic through an electric amp (at least the distorted sound) it'll be bad.
i mate of mine used to use an acoustic through a fender amp of some sort and it sounded pretty damn good. I can't remember his exact gear though, I should ask him some time.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Because he wasn't actually playing an acoustic...films utilise a brilliant technology that we call "Acting".

You don't want to juice an acoustic through an electric amp (at least the distorted sound) it'll be bad.

If you're talking about Michel Cera, he still doesn't utilise a brilliant technology that we call "acting"
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by pbiggie
i mate of mine used to use an acoustic through a fender amp of some sort and it sounded pretty damn good. I can't remember his exact gear though, I should ask him some time.
last night my wife goes out drinking w/ some girls. My kids from prior marriage are on vaca w/ the ex. Just me and the dogs home alone. Its 8pm. I got at least 3 hours to myself with nothing to do but get lit up and jam.

I gotta say the Ibanez though the Fender amp with a little reverb (clean channel) sounded damn good... the chucka chucka rhythm becomes more like wumph wumph but it sounded pretty damn cool. Maybe it was just the herb... thinking about bringing it to jam tonight. Hate dragging out alot of equip and not sure I can bring myself to leave the LP at home... what to do
he of tranquil mind
It would be fine (emphasis on just fine) on a clean channel. I played an acoustic show in a party hall with an electric acoustic with my old Fender Blues Junior. Dirt with an Electric-Acoustic is a no-no.
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
Scott Pilgrim was a great movie

Quote by fishmike
Someone needs to tell Cera to eat a sandwhich, go do some pushups, shave that dopey fro that was last cute when he was 4 years old and act like he's still got the set of balls god gave him.

Go watch a shitty Vin Diesel movie if you want to see that.
Dirt with acoustic guitar is awesome, fuzz is especially awesome.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by institutions
Scott Pilgrim was a great movie

Go watch a shitty Vin Diesel movie if you want to see that.
It could have been a great movie if they picked a normal dude to play the roll. Is this was dudes aspire to be? wishy washy meek and with the emotional fortitude of a 15 year old girl with pimples on the rag? The guy plays the same character in every movie. He's a doormat

The concept of the movie was cool, its too bad such an incredibly weak male actor was picked. Chicks loves this movie, cause he's one of them. I cant be the only one whos skin this guy gets under... he's a ruiner of good movies! Two potentially awesome movies this guy single handedly trashed
he of tranquil mind
Quote by Tango616
If you're talking about Michel Cera, he still doesn't utilise a brilliant technology that we call "acting"

Michael Cera's a terrible actor.

But what I was getting at was that the guy wants a sound like is on the film. But the guys in the film weren't actually playing the instruments, they were acting.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Michael Cera's a terrible actor.

But what I was getting at was that the guy wants a sound like is on the film. But the guys in the film weren't actually playing the instruments, they were acting.

actually... Im not looking for a sound like on the film. It wasnt my cup of tea... not saying it was garbage either. Mostly I was curious as you dont see too many guys w/ acoustic electrics hit an overdrive stomp and start belting out distored power chords. I only saw the movie once... but it was an odd choice of equipement for that sound. Which is why I brought it here to the know-it-alls
he of tranquil mind
Quote by Tango616

Truth is, the only role Michael Cera seems to be able to play is that of a character named Michael Cera.

But hell, I love him for it and never want to see him do anything else really.
Quote by fishmike
actually... Im not looking for a sound like on the film. It wasnt my cup of tea... not saying it was garbage either. Mostly I was curious as you dont see too many guys w/ acoustic electrics hit an overdrive stomp and start belting out distored power chords. I only saw the movie once... but it was an odd choice of equipement for that sound. Which is why I brought it here to the know-it-alls

Ah, well either way my point stands, the actual sound will have been recorded with an electric guitar and some kind of high-ish gain amp.

The actor's merely holding the acoustic and pretending to play.
That movie was awesome and Beck recorded/wrote most of those songs. So I'd look up his gear.
One of my favourite movies. Canada FTW.

You can't deny the originality and risks that the movie took.
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Michael Cera was picked for the movie because he fit the part. He's not a great actor, but he fit the part.

So, OP, see if I'm understanding you right. "I saw this done in a movie (which sucks), but I can't do it in real life."
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by lbj273
Dirt with acoustic guitar is awesome, fuzz is especially awesome.

This. It was definitely fuzz used, whether it was actually recorded on an electric or an acoustic is a different matter.

P.S. Cera was picked because he was pretty much what Scott is in the books, he's an awkward guy. It's what was right for Scott Pilgrim. If they'd used some manly-man it would have been ridiculous, no one wants to see a fair fight.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The sort of feedback you are talking about (ie high pitched) is microphonic feedback directly from the pickup colis. Those of us that use feedback as a tool know that workable feedback comes from the strings being vibrated by the sound, not pup feedback. That feedback is whatever frequency you want it to be depending on what notes you are fretting.
Perhaps your feedback is just the bottom strings feeding? Try muting strings when it starts and see if you can make it go away. My guess is that this is a simple case of resonance.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification