Ok, I'm rebuilding an old Epiphone EM-2 Rebel. It's a pretty decent guitar, Alder body, hard mapple set neck, rosewood fretboard with 24 medium-jumbo (or whatever) frets, licensed double locking floyd rose and... H S H configuration.

I'm missing the stock bridge pickup (although I might just find it in a couple of days) but I'm not into that. I got the axe for free, so I'll be spending the money I'd be spending on a second guitar and making this as awesome a guitar as possible.

I'm getting the DiMarzio Crunch Lab for the bridge and the DiMarzio LiquiFire for the neck, but the middle pickup, I don't know, I was eyeing a DiMazrio Pro Track, and then with the coil splitter I'd have it either being a humbucker (which it is, although a single coil sized one) or a single coil.

What do you guys think?
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
A Mesa Mark V and a significant upgrade in talent.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
you can pretty much use whatever you like for the middle position because, as far as i'm aware, petrucci has consistently used HH, so the middle single is a freebie, basically. Personally, I'd go for a lower output single coils for versatility, for nice cleans and the like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shadow__666

And $30,000 in rack and studio effects.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
look at the dimarzio injector
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Hey guys... can new pickups make me sound like David Gilmour? Practicing will take me forever, so I was hoping that new pups might do it.
Quote by fly135
Hey guys... can new pickups make me sound like David Gilmour? Practicing will take me forever, so I was hoping that new pups might do it.

Answer this question.

If John Petrucci played through David Gilmours exact gear (guitar, amps etc), would he sound like David Gilmour?
yeah i bet petrucci can't play any pink floyd songs
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jkielq91
Answer this question.

If John Petrucci played through David Gilmours exact gear (guitar, amps etc), would he sound like David Gilmour?

I dunno...But Guthrie Govan would...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaIzEo013iI
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by jkielq91
Answer this question.

My sarcasm detector is confused.
Fly was sarcastic.....are you sarcastic too?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
My sarcasm detector is confused.
Fly was sarcastic.....are you sarcastic too?

I wasn't being sarcastic. But my answer to the question would be no, he would sound like John Petrucci. Meaning if you want to sound like Gilmour you have to learn to play like Gilmour, not just use his equipment. Its the playing that makes an artist great and unique.

=)

Fortunately I have a gift for you.

http://www.guitarworld.com/soloing_strategies_david_gilmour
Quote by jkielq91
I wasn't being sarcastic. But my answer to the question would be no, he would sound like John Petrucci. Meaning if you want to sound like Gilmour you have to learn to play like Gilmour, not just use his equipment. Its the playing that makes an artist great and unique.

=)

Fortunately I have a gift for you.

http://www.guitarworld.com/soloing_strategies_david_gilmour

I said that because you sounded like you took flys comment seriously

EDIT: And I wanna play like petrucci
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 25, 2011,
Quote by Arby911
I dunno...But Guthrie Govan would...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaIzEo013iI

yeah that was kinda my point... if you're a pretty good player you can mimic other players. Granted buying gear to substitute for playing technique or practice is daft, but if you already have the technique, then the gear (or at least in-the-ballpar,k gear, it doesn't have to be exactly the same stuff) will get you the rest of the way.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
*typical douchey comment about how it's impossible to sound like another guitar player*

honestly though, i dont think petrucci used single coils a lot so if you're going for his tone you probably won't need single coil, so i'd say instead of getting a single coil that will do jp tone just leave that to the humbuckers and get a single coil that'll do a different type of tone that you're after.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by shadow__666

This
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I think I'll be going with the Injector.

I'll leave the rest of you to discuss how to sound like X artist.

I myself need sum pups for me new ax. Can't play without pups. Thank you once again.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
basic set up would be a Mesa Mark V, HH guitar w/Dimarzio Crunch Lab/Liqui-fire and a TC G System and then lots and lots of practice
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by jkielq91

If you told him to emulate Gilmour's style then **** yes he would. Would he be so dead on that people would forget about Gilmour and start petitioning for Petrucci to do a Dark Side of the Moon tour? No, but saying that Petrucci couldn't sound like Gilmour even on his exact set up is ridiculous. I've heard plenty of DT songs where Petrucci's style (and to some degree tone) actually does emulate DG pretty well.

Now the other way around I'm not so sure about. David Gilmour is one hell of a guitarist, possibly my favorite, but I don't think he can do some of the runs Petrucci can. That said Gilmour is the better guitarist.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^He's got an Axe as well.

And no, its 5 Mark V's with Recto cabs.

And the Cabs need clouds painted on the grill. For extra toanz.

is he using that now?? i thought he was staying true to pure Mark V and fx processor units
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
is he using that now?? i thought he was staying true to pure Mark V and fx processor units

Only for FX and occassional studio use . His Marks are still the backbone of his tone.

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/gear/JPamp2sm.jpg

Two marks and an Axe.

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/musicplayer1.jpg

Thats the rig on the right, with the blonde Marks.

Almost every big artist who isnt a tube snob has used an Axe at least in part pretty darn popular unit.

Quote by tubetime86
If you told him to emulate Gilmour's style then **** yes he would. Would he be so dead on that people would forget about Gilmour and start petitioning for Petrucci to do a Dark Side of the Moon tour? No, but saying that Petrucci couldn't sound like Gilmour even on his exact set up is ridiculous. I've heard plenty of DT songs where Petrucci's style (and to some degree tone) actually does emulate DG pretty well.

Now the other way around I'm not so sure about. David Gilmour is one hell of a guitarist, possibly my favorite, but I don't think he can do some of the runs Petrucci can. That said Gilmour is the better guitarist.

You mean you prefer Gilmour.

Personal preference
If only there was a cheaper floorboard version.....
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 26, 2011,
Just go on Music Man's website, and check out the specs on JP's sig guitars. They're some kind of DiMarzios, I believe.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
petrucci has the dimarzio crunch lab in the bridge and liquifire in the neck of his guitars.

and they're handwired by tony blair, apparently.

When that video was made, Petrucci was still playing Ibanez guitars. Back then he was pretty big on the Steve's Special (bridge) and Air Norton (neck). He used those pickups in his early Music Man models, but with a custom-wound neck pickup which was pretty much a rewound Air Norton afaik. He later switched to a D-Sonic in the bridge and kept the custom neck pickup, and when the signature Crunch Lab and LiquiFire pickups were released, he obviously switched to those.

He's also used a few different amps... I don't know them all but he likes the Mark II C+, is really big on the Mark IV and V, but for a while he switched to Road Kings and Lone Stars. I think that was around the Train of Thought album.

Crazy thing is, though, that despite the different pickups and guitars and amps he's used, he always sounds like John Petrucci.

Huh... seems strange, right?