Hello UG,

I'm going to get my Cort KX5 set up in drop C, but I still want to have a guitar for E standard and drop D.
I'm planning on buying an MXR 10-band eq, an OD (haven't decided yet) and a tuner pedal, do you think I should buy those later and get my second guitar first?
My budget is around €500, but when I buy the pedals it will be around €150-200 (I hope).
I would use the guitar to satisfy my 'softer music'-needs, and I guess I'm willing to go used.

Thanks, bauwke.

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
You got to be kidding...
Buying a new guitar just because you're just too lazy to tune your guitar?
Gould make good cheap guitars - I've got their Les Paul & I think it's better than most Epiphones. In the UK they're around £150 new and between £60 & £80 used.

Here's a link to the review I did of it:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/gould/glp100/index.html

Also in the comments I posted a link to a video review of one done by Rob Chapman (also known as the MonkeyLord) which was the reason I bought one in the first place.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by JB95
You got to be kidding...

Goes to show how much you know you ****ing twat. If this guy wants to gig, having two guitars is essential, especially seeing that his main guitar is set up for a lowered tuning. Lowered tunings have different string heights, different intonation set ups, different gauges, etc. If he merely tuned his guitar back to E standard, it would be so out of tune it's not funny. Learn your shit, THEN post you dumbass.

Now, on topic to your post - Epiphone makes some decent priced Les Pauls that you could look into. Also, get a good quality guitar BEFORE the pedals. A bad guitar with good pedals will just sound bad no matter which way you slice it. Just my honest opinion though
Quote by JB95
You got to be kidding...

No, buy a new guitar because the strings are too loose when I tune down from E standard to drop C, and probably too tight when tuning up from drop C to E standard.

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by dash-rendar
Goes to show how much you know you ****ing twat. If this guy wants to gig, having two guitars is essential, especially seeing that his main guitar is set up for a lowered tuning. Lowered tunings have different string heights, different intonation set ups, different gauges, etc. If he merely tuned his guitar back to E standard, it would be so out of tune it's not funny. Learn your shit, THEN post you dumbass.

Now, on topic to your post - Epiphone makes some decent priced Les Pauls that you could look into. Also, get a good quality guitar BEFORE the pedals. A bad guitar with good pedals will just sound bad no matter which way you slice it. Just my honest opinion though

Thank you very much for that
So you're saying leave the pedals for later, buy a more expensive guitar?
Then should I set up the more expensive guitar in drop C, or my Cort KX5, which I own now?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
ibby grg170dx

you can't go wrong.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Megadethfan245
Not sure, but get a shitty guitar for drop tuning, seems to sound better

i have a gibson les paul that i play in g# and it sounds amazing.

I too have been looking for a cheaper guitar to add to my arsenal. however i want one i can play in E and drop C lol. Anyway, i think you can find a second guitar thats more than suitable for under 500 and still be able to get the pedals and probally be abel to do it at the same time.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Dude just get another Cort. They are amazingly high-quality and not very expensive. I like the Z42F, the one that looks like a PRS singlecut. It's $300 at the store I work at.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by Dempsey68
ibby grg170dx

you can't go wrong.

I'll take a look at that one, yet I've read something about the cheap tremolo not staying in tune or something?

Quote by GaryBillington
Gould make good cheap guitars - I've got their Les Paul & I think it's better than most Epiphones. In the UK they're around £150 new and between £60 & £80 used.

Here's a link to the review I did of it:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/gould/glp100/index.html

Also in the comments I posted a link to a video review of one done by Rob Chapman (also known as the MonkeyLord) which was the reason I bought one in the first place.

I haven't seen any of those in any shop around here, and I'd like to test it before I buy it, so I guess Goulds are not an option?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Telecaster anyone? Telecasters are amazing, even the Mexican made fender's are good in my opinion. As long as you are smart enough to tweak your tone with the knobs on the guitar a Tele is a very versatile guitar.
Quote by Bauwke
I haven't seen any of those in any shop around here, and I'd like to test it before I buy it, so I guess Goulds are not an option?

Maybe not - I know I see them on ebay in the UK a lot, but I've got no idea how internationally distributed they are. If you do find one though, it's a great guitar for the money.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Zeppoholic
Telecaster anyone? Telecasters are amazing, even the Mexican made fender's are good in my opinion. As long as you are smart enough to tweak your tone with the knobs on the guitar a Tele is a very versatile guitar.

If his other guitar is a KX5 (schecter-style) then the neck radius will be different than the Tele's 7" radius. Adjusting to the new radius live can be a huge pain in the ass. You should definitely get a guitar that has the same kind of neck as your current one.
Quote by CLVPX
Quote by SkyValley
If his other guitar is a KX5 (schecter-style) then the neck radius will be different than the Tele's 7" radius. Adjusting to the new radius live can be a huge pain in the ass. You should definitely get a guitar that has the same kind of neck as your current one.

Really? What are the differences? Different fret width or something?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by Bauwke
I'll take a look at that one, yet I've read something about the cheap tremolo not staying in tune or something?

yeh it's no FR but it works, for E standard or drop D it'll be fine as long as you don't rape the trem arm.

for other tunings it might mess you about a bit.

i've got this guitar and tbh i love it. it was my first proper guitar that i bought and since then i've acquired a £650 fender strat and a few other guitars have come and gone but i always find myself ending up playing the GRG170DX it's a great guitar for the price,

just check the reviews here
Quote by SkyValley

So long as you're practiced with both guitars, this shouldn't be a problem. I have about a dozen guitars that I switch between, including Telecasters, Les Pauls, Acoustics & 12 strings - all with very different necks yet I've used them all live and never had a problem switching between them.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Aug 25, 2011,
The ibanez seems very nice indeed, yet do you think I should buy a more expensive guitar rather than having 2 €200-350 euro guitars?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by Bauwke
The ibanez seems very nice indeed, yet do you think I should buy a more expensive guitar rather than having 2 €200-350 euro guitars?

it depends on how often you change tunings and how much you'll play each tuning.

if you're gonna use each tuning fairly regularly then it's best to have 2 guitars as you'd have to adjust a million and two things to make your guitar playable again.
Quote by Bauwke
Really? What are the differences? Different fret width or something?

Neck radius. It's how curved or flat the neck is. Tele's have really curved necks, almost twice as curved as what you see on a Les Paul. If you're not used to it it can really mess up the more technical aspects of playing like cross-string movement and arpeggios.

Fret width on tele's is usually different too I believe, I'm not sure because I generally avoid them like the plague. Their bridges lead to bad intonation and it's harder to do bends on them. I personally find Telecasters to be the ugliest, hardest-to-play guitars around. But if you try one and like it, go for it!
Quote by CLVPX
Quote by SkyValley
Their bridges lead to bad intonation and it's harder to do bends on them. I personally find Telecasters to be the ugliest, hardest-to-play guitars around.

Curious about this comment - was it a genuine Fender tele you tried?

I've had one for a few years now and it's intonation has always been fine & I never find it harder to do bends on this than any of my other guitars. The ugly part is opinion which you're entitled to, but I've always found tele's really easy to play
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I find the telecasters real ugly too
Are fender squiers any good for their price?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Obviously not as good as the actual Fender, but you wouldn't expect them to be. For their price they're decent enough.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The higher-end squiers are okay, but I wouldn't pick one up as a gigging guitar. I work in a guitar store and I have had too many squiers come in with bad electronics or shoddy parts that failed. If I bought one I would probably replace most of the parts, but even then the body is made of cheap, inferior wood and you can't change the negative things that come with that.
Quote by CLVPX
I am definately saying get the pedals later. Get the other guitar, and yeah, another Cort would be a good idea, although I like Teles as well... it's all up to you though man. Best of luck!