Does anyone have any tips on having a faster tremolo pick? I'm lerning some songs from Slipknot's 'Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses' album and the picking is real fast. Any tips on how to play more like this?
My Gear:

Oh wait, no one gives a shit
Gripping the pick closer to the edge helps me. there is less surface area to move. also, thicker picks work because they don't flex.
Then I whispered in her ear, fear me dear, for I am Death.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
You just have to put in your time. You can go pretty fast by stiffening your elbow and kind of shaking, but you won't last long doing that and eventually you'll have problems with tendonitis. I did that for a while but I've been focusing on using all wrist and I am nearly there in terms of speed.

The original guitarist for Immortal (Demonaz) can no longer play guitar because (I suspect) he tremolo picked too much from the elbow. Listen to their first 4 albums and you'll understand why.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Aug 25, 2011,
Yeah, I would avoid tremolo picking with your arm- make sure all of the motion is in the wrist, rotating axially with the minimum motion possible. I curl my hand over slightly when I tremolo pick.

Do some warm-ups, running up and down a scale starting on a single string and then work towards skipping around on strings while tremolo picking. Eventually you learn how to do it without skipping a note and it sounds great.

Gojira uses a lot of tremolo picking at a moderate rate, so they're great to play along to in order to get timing right. "Esoteric Surgery" is my favorite to play along to.
Quote by KailM
The original guitarist for Immortal (Demonaz) can no longer play guitar because (I suspect) he tremolo picked too much from the elbow. Listen to their first 4 albums and you'll understand why.

Yeah, don't tense up to tremolo! As with all other speed issues: use a metronome, slow it down and work on increasing your speed.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Last edited by Aleksi at Aug 25, 2011,
Either do it with your arm, or do it sarod style by raising your hand off of the bridge. Don't listen to these guys. It's easier and more accurate to use your arm for tremolo picking. I can do it whenever needed. In fact, the fastest picker in the world uses tremolo arm picking for his fastest picking. It's a necessity for fast and clean picking. It's a muscle that needs working. So far I don't have tendonitis either and I've been playing for 6 years using the arm method whenever tremolo picking is needed.
Quote by fretmaster13
Either do it with your arm, or do it sarod style by raising your hand off of the bridge. Don't listen to these guys. It's easier and more accurate to use your arm for tremolo picking. I can do it whenever needed. In fact, the fastest picker in the world uses tremolo arm picking for his fastest picking. It's a necessity for fast and clean picking. It's a muscle that needs working. So far I don't have tendonitis either and I've been playing for 6 years using the arm method whenever tremolo picking is needed.

It isn't a necessity at all for fast playing, there's no reason why it should be.

So who is the fastest picker in the world then? I know who I think is the fastest picker in the world and he didn't use his arm to pick at all so I'm very curious as to your answer...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Don't tell me, MAB?

Elbow picking is bad technique, it's completely un-necessary, inefficient and can cause physiological problems with your arm. Anyone who tells you otherwise is talking out of their arse.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Although I think this sucked, there's something to be taken from it. He is considered the fastest picker in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THXCi3H3NzM

Rusty Cooley (who also sucks, but is highly regarded by a group of people) also tremolo arm picks full lines of notes.

Doing it every now and then will do nothing to you, and it's the easiest way to tremolo pick on one note.
I'm at work, I need a name and not a link; can't get to youtube on these machines. I'm going to assume it's that jerk who did Flight of the Bumblebee at 370bpm or whatever it was... which is crap; past about 240bpm he becomes sloppy and inarticulate.

Rusty isn't the fastest picker in the world, not by a good margin.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by fretmaster13
Although I think this sucked, there's something to be taken from it. He is considered the fastest picker in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THXCi3H3NzM

Rusty Cooley (who also sucks, but is highly regarded by a group of people) also tremolo arm picks full lines of notes.

Doing it every now and then will do nothing to you, and it's the easiest way to tremolo pick on one note.

Notice the wrist picking until the speed goes above his comfort zone: the arm is introduced and there is slop and tension in droves.
Quote by steven seagull

Elbow picking is bad technique, it's completely un-necessary, inefficient and can cause physiological problems with your arm. Anyone who tells you otherwise is talking out of their arse.

I agree.

Here's where a lot of people mistake the two in watching technique: They see the player move his/her arm when changing strings and assume they're using their arm the whole time. Of course the arm is going to move slightly while tremolo picking with the wrist. Locking the arm can lead to faster fatigue, so it's best to not tense up.

You also have a whole hell of a lot more momentum to control when you're shaking your arm rather than rotating your wrist. Think about it- your hand is pretty nicely balanced. Your arm's fulcrum is the elbow, so look at how much motion is actually going on. Physically, it makes much more sense to practice using the wrist for tremolo picking.
There's no reason to move your entire arm when the picking motion required is only within about 1 cm (even less then that). I think anyone can see that that is just a waste of energy.