Page 1 of 3
http://www.wmctv.com/story/15323207/authorities-raid-gibson-guitar-factory-in-downtown-memphis

MEMPHIS, TN -
(WMC-TV) - Authorities carried out a raid Wednesday at the Gibson Guitar factory in downtown Memphis.

Few details were released about the raid, which was carried about by agents with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service.

Gibson has been under a cloud of suspicion because of wood that was used in some of its guitars. Gibson's factory in Nashville was raided last year because federal authorities believed some of the company's guitar parts were made from wood that was illegally cut and shipped from Madagascar.

Officials said agents were serving a search warrant as part of the ongoing investigation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FBI also demanded an answer for the reverse V!
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Aug 25, 2011,
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
this looks like old news but the date on the link says 24th of august 2011.

either this is a massive deja vu, or that website's news updates are suffering from extreme lag.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Nope it happened again, I believe they even mentioned the 2009 raid in the newscast video. Seems like Gibson just doesn't learn.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Ohh well, i didnt think anyone still bought this over priced shit they made these days anyway?! :S
Why is the FBI even involved in the guitar world? Don't they have something better to do, like catch serial killers, and terrorists? Wasting my tax dollars on useless crap like enforcing embargos and crap.

I'm no American so I'm not too familiar with your million+ agencies. But as far as I can tell that would be FBI business, isn't most terrorist related stuff more CIA and Homeland Security?

On Topic: That's a bit worrying really, wouldn't a company as large as Gibson be a bit more thorough in knowing their suppliers?
I heard they were raided because the FBI suspected a large stock of marihuana in the Gibson factory. Apparently they got suspicious after the Holy Explorer and the Reverse Flying V and the Dusk Tiger..... and the Firebird X.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Wow, it seems it's not the wood that's the indian workers that finish it, and not only that, it's the justice departments interpretation of the law. Sounds like they are just gunning for Gibson to me.
Quote by JesusCrisp
I heard they were raided because the FBI suspected a large stock of marihuana in the Gibson factory. Apparently they got suspicious after the Holy Explorer and the Reverse Flying V and the Dusk Tiger..... and the Firebird X.

Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
it's so cool to hate gibson, even the federal department of justice hates them.

Quote by Blompcube

+1000

Next they'll go after Metallica.
Leave it to extream left-wing tree huggers to waist tax dollars on stupid bullshit.
First it was little kid Lemonade stands now guitar companys, when will the dumbasses stop the crap?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JesusCrisp

hah couldmt agree more
I'm not a fan of Gibson but This does sound very much like bullying.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Blompcube

Methinks that deserves a +sig

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Leave it to extream left-wing tree huggers to waist tax dollars on stupid bullshit.
First it was little kid Lemonade stands now guitar companys, when will the dumbasses stop the crap?

First, learn to spell.
Second, explain yourself.

Gibson: "Waaa we're being bullied!"
I kinda doubt this, it's not as if the head of the FBI just woke up that morning and said "You know, I think I'll fu.ck with Gibson today, just for no reason."
The FBI doesn't just raid a factory for shits and giggles.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 25, 2011,
This is hypocritical of Gibson; I remember a while back Fender and Gibson said they would pledge to not buy wood from suspicious places. Also it wasn't the FBI it was the Fish and Wildlife Service. So yeah making sure Gibson, Fender, and other american companies don't use illegal wood for guitar building is also their job.
Last edited by CannedBullets at Aug 25, 2011,
Quote by CannedBullets
This is hypocritical of Gibson; I remember a while back Fender and Gibson said they would pledge to not buy wood from suspicious places.

Oh, it's not suspicious at all. Just illegal.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
thats interesting. especially because i toured the memphis factory two weeks ago. it was a really cool experiance. i think the only good thing that could come out of this is if a batch of illegal wood guitars were easy to identify because that would increase resale value, but that still isn't good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I really hope these so called "illegal woods"(if they do exist). Are not of lesser quality. Or gibson needs to explain why their guitars are so ****in expensive. Ive been thinkin about a gibson for awhile but i just cant justify the price.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Read the info instead of speculating people. In the 2 years since the first raid (officers were armed for crying out loud) there have been no charges laid. Kinds says something as if there'd been something illegal found they'd have done something about it. This second raid is over the interpretation of Indian Law by the US. Some dumb ass rule about who finishes the wood, not the type or where it came from? Way to go US, we can all sleep safely tonite.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Read the info instead of speculating people. In the 2 years since the first raid (officers were armed for crying out loud) there have been no charges laid. Kinds says something as if there'd been something illegal found they'd have done something about it. This second raid is over the interpretation of Indian Law by the US. Some dumb ass rule about who finishes the wood, not the type or where it came from? Way to go US, we can all sleep safely tonite.

To add to your post if I may?

Gibson makes sure everything is air tight before they ever ship a single splinter of wood here to the US. Gibson has a legion of lawyers who go through these export laws, then they check with the government to make sure everything is in proper order.

It's not Gibson's fault that those at the FBI seriously need to learn to read, or go directly to the source and ask for the copies of the export documents.

I wonder since the FBI and the, whoever people, screwed up....again will ever reimburse the employees for lost wages.

I still think this is the stupid school yard bully acting as if someone said something about his mom, and I'm still supporting Gibson one billion percent.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 26, 2011,
There's a lot to consider with this case.

I'm sure there are people that are stalking the hell out of Gibson with every foreign transaction they make somehow. Those people are probably the crazy "I'll chain myself to this tree" environmentalists. It would make sense that they would jump on any suspicion of illegal trading.

They don't care about anything Gibson does, they just want to stop them in any way they can. So there's a suspicion, there's an attack. No investigation. This is like being pulled over because your license plate light is out. But after the cop leaves, you check it out, and sure enough, it isn't.

Plus, nabbing a big company like Gibson gives the government a very nice check. If any faults are ever actually found, then I would imagine Fender would become a target and other guitar manufacturers would follow suit.
gibson makes fine instruments.its no coincidence that 95% of the best rock bands ever played gibson guitars.the whole thing sounds like a bunch of bureaucratic b.s.
Quote by whyze250f
I really hope these so called "illegal woods"(if they do exist). Are not of lesser quality. Or gibson needs to explain why their guitars are so ****in expensive. Ive been thinkin about a gibson for awhile but i just cant justify the price.

I'd imagine this illegal wood is of higher quality. Why would they break laws for crappy wood? They could just use the same stuff they use on low-end Epiphones.

Anyways, they're expensive because they're hand-made in the US (among other things).
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by VanTheKraut
First, learn to spell.
Second, explain yourself.

Gibson: "Waaa we're being bullied!"
I kinda doubt this, it's not as if the head of the FBI just woke up that morning and said "You know, I think I'll fu.ck with Gibson today, just for no reason."
The FBI doesn't just raid a factory for shits and giggles.

By the lemonade stand I think he's referring to the police forcing this little girl to close her roadside lemonade stand because she didn't have a permit. Which in all honesty is ****ing ridiculous.

As for Gibson, I'm not knowledgable about illegal woods and stuff but if the woods are illegal, then wouldn't Customs or whatever be able to tell that the wood isn't allowed? Or they could be smuggling it, which is also bad. My guess though is that their getting it from another source. AGAIN, I'm not knowledgable about all this wood stuff.
Last edited by xShade at Aug 26, 2011,
Atty Gen, Holder is trying his best to avoid having to prosecute real criminals. If he keeps up the "busy-work" he won;t have to investigate the White House crew!
Reaching out to find someone else's laws as a way to raid an American company is simply a JBT way to drive Companies out of the US and into foreign lands.

Selective and pissant law enforcement!
Most of the posts in this thread amuse me in some way. I just though you'd all like to know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

I'm sure there are people that are stalking the hell out of Gibson with every foreign transaction they make somehow. Those people are probably the crazy "I'll chain myself to this tree" environmentalists. It would make sense that they would jump on any suspicion of illegal trading.

Well, this doesn't appear to be over any environmental issues, just labor law issues. Gibson hired Americans instead of Indians.

I wonder if they're trying to pressure Gibson into settling the lawsuit Gibson filed over the previous raid.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Why is the FBI even involved in the guitar world? Don't they have something better to do, like catch serial killers, and terrorists? Wasting my tax dollars on useless crap like enforcing embargos and crap.

A terrible waste of money.

Quote by W4RP1G
Wow, it seems it's not the wood that's the indian workers that finish it, and not only that, it's the justice departments interpretation of the law. Sounds like they are just gunning for Gibson to me.

Obama likes Fenders

It's stupid, they are twisting the laws in awful ways to make some kind of point. It has absolutely nothing to do with the source of the wood, yet that's what the impression is...and why the hell are we enforcing Indian labor laws in the U.S.? Shouldn't it be up to India to see that the wood conforms to legal standards as it is manufactured?
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by ethan_hanus

I would absolutely love to see you (or anyone else who says some aspect of law enforcement is a waste of time/money) say this to a cop or someone from any other law enforcement agency.

You don't think that they can go out and catch serial killers and terrorists straight away, do you? Their agencies have more than one department/group of people working there, its not like everyone in the FBI stops investigations into serial killers or other criminal activities to go raid Gibson. Or that just because someone isn't killing people or destroying stuff that they aren't still breaking the law?

The degree to which someone breaks the law and severity of their crimes doesn't change the fact that they've broken a law.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not referring to Gibson in particular here, I'm just generalising. Obviously I don't know whats going on at Gibson so I can't comment on that.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by littlephil
I would absolutely love to see you (or anyone else who says some aspect of law enforcement is a waste of time/money) say this to a cop or someone from any other law enforcement agency.

No one is going to say it to a cop's face. We all know cops are dirty.

And yeah I'd rather see cops find serial killers than waste time busting someone over something so frivilous. I think we just found an area for budget cuts.
Quote by philwhite
No one is going to say it to a cop's face. We all know cops are dirty.

And yeah I'd rather see cops find serial killers than waste time busting someone over something so frivilous. I think we just found an area for budget cuts.

finding serial killers is a process....they could be doing that too....

its not like the entire FBI was recruited into the case of suspicious wood of the gibson factory....

cmon people, be realistic

*EDIT* the law is the law, and not one is made to take priority over the other....not saying its ok to be distracted by J-Walking while a bank robbery is going on but they handle things accordingly
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Aug 27, 2011,
Page 1 of 3