Ok so im trying to find some pickups to put in my samick mb-1. Right now it has sss configuration so im trying to decide between these three pups

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-dp184-chopper-pickup

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-dp182-fast-track-2-pickup

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-shr-1-hot-rails-stacked-single-coil-pickup

what im going for is that 80's Maiden sound to pantera/showdown and screaming pinch harmonics any other suggestions would be awesome.
maybe even one of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/lace-sensor-red-pickup
Last edited by goldleadr at Aug 28, 2011,
I'd go for the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. Dave Murray and Janick Gers of Iron Maiden use them if I'm not mistaken. Those would definitely suit the 80's stuff, in my opinion
what amp?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
get the red,silver,blue Lace Sensor set. will be almost noiseless (high gain makes a little noise even with noiseless pickups) and retain the strat character yet still deliver major balls. the LS pups have a wider frequency range than most regular pickups and have great clarity as well. work very well with distortion. my Fender Strat Plus has them in it (blue, silver,silver for a more strat like sound but still has meat). you can hear my strat on the song The Land Unknown in my profile which showcases the various sounds i can get from clean to heavy distortion.
Go for the Duncans. I have the Hot Rails on my Strat, and it's one of the best pickups I own. Handles all metal easily. Not so great at cleans, though, unless it's wired to be split.
Quote by Tunder250
what amp?

well i have a line 6 pod HD500 so im not gonna list my amp lol. and i left out that im just upgrading the bridge for now and also would i need to replace any pots?
We still need to know what amp you're running the hd through.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
a marshall mg-10 otherwise straight into a PA system (idk what amp to get with a HD500 besdides a dt50)
Quote by Charvel1995
I'd go for the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. Dave Murray and Janick Gers of Iron Maiden use them if I'm not mistaken. Those would definitely suit the 80's stuff, in my opinion

^This x 1,000. Ive got three of them in two Strats and they sound fantastic. Very powerful, great tone and no noise. Give them a try.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by goldleadr
a marshall mg-10 otherwise straight into a PA system (idk what amp to get with a HD500 besdides a dt50)

if that's the case you may be somewhat disappointed. modeling amps tend to not notice much difference in pickups. i use a POD for recording and although there is a huge difference in the pickups my 2 strats have the POD doesn't seem to care. through an amp my Vineyard strat has a much more vintage sound whereas my Strat Plus has a much more modern sound to it. through the POD they are pretty much interchangable.

the less said about a MG 10 the better.
upgrade amp, then pickups
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by monwobobbo
get the red,silver,blue Lace Sensor set. will be almost noiseless (high gain makes a little noise even with noiseless pickups) and retain the strat character yet still deliver major balls. the LS pups have a wider frequency range than most regular pickups and have great clarity as well. work very well with distortion. my Fender Strat Plus has them in it (blue, silver,silver for a more strat like sound but still has meat). you can hear my strat on the song The Land Unknown in my profile which showcases the various sounds i can get from clean to heavy distortion.

I like Lace Sensors... but personally I don't find them all that great for metal. They sound a little too vintage-y IMO.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
well you guys dont seem to understand i have singlecoils and for metal they are terrible. and the only reason i have an mg10 is cause i travel alot and its small (fits in my back pack with room to spare) yet loud and it is actually a decent amp althoough i would rather have a Mesa, Blackstar, Peavey...etc im stuck with the mg10 for now besides i mostly use my headphones which have good metal speakers haha
Quote by ragingkitty
I like Lace Sensors... but personally I don't find them all that great for metal. They sound a little too vintage-y IMO.

the gold and gold+ are meant to be like a 50s strat but the Red is high output and works very well for metal. i have the blue in the bridge of mine and that works great for 70s/80s metal (non thrash). as i said they do retain some of the charactoristics of a single coil and thus the strat sound. admittedly not for everybody but it is an option for guys like me that like the strat sound but want more balls.
Quote by goldleadr
well you guys dont seem to understand i have singlecoils and for metal they are terrible. and the only reason i have an mg10 is cause i travel alot and its small (fits in my back pack with room to spare) yet loud and it is actually a decent amp althoough i would rather have a Mesa, Blackstar, Peavey...etc im stuck with the mg10 for now besides i mostly use my headphones which have good metal speakers haha

what don't we understand? you have been given several options that would all work. the only downside is that with your current set up you may not get much benifit from new pickups. not saying don't do it just don't want you to spend the money and say "hey guys WTF you said get these and i still don't have a great metal tone."
Quote by Charvel1995

+1 You are not mistaken, they use the hot rails. My fav heavy metal band . I'm getting the hot rails for my HW1 strat.
Quote by monwobobbo
what don't we understand? you have been given several options that would all work. the only downside is that with your current set up you may not get much benifit from new pickups. not saying don't do it just don't want you to spend the money and say "hey guys WTF you said get these and i still don't have a great metal tone."

IMO they do sound different, Hot Rails will sound a lot more hot, even in his amp; maybe not huge difference but still very audible. I have a Viper-500 and a HW1 SSS strat and the pick ups sound wayyyy different, no matter which amp I play through (I know EMG's are active and they have more gain because of that, but still applies). Definitely he will not get "Great Metal Tone" but he will get some big steps closer.
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by Perverockstar69
IMO they do sound different, Hot Rails will sound a lot more hot, even in his amp; maybe not huge difference but still very audible. I have a Viper-500 and a HW1 SSS strat and the pick ups sound wayyyy different, no matter which amp I play through (I know EMG's are active and they have more gain because of that, but still applies). Definitely he will not get "Great Metal Tone" but he will get some big steps closer.

thru a modeling set up the differences tend to be minimal. i already mentioned that i have 2 strats with very different pups but when used through my POD they don't sound very different at all. i can also get a very metal sound through the POD with my vintage sounding strat and you won't notice a difference from using those settings with my humbucker equiped guitar. with a really high end modeller like the Axe-Fx you can hear more of your guitar's actual sound coming through but not so much with the cheaper modellers.
Quote by monwobobbo
thru a modeling set up the differences tend to be minimal. i already mentioned that i have 2 strats with very different pups but when used through my POD they don't sound very different at all. i can also get a very metal sound through the POD with my vintage sounding strat and you won't notice a difference from using those settings with my humbucker equiped guitar. with a really high end modeller like the Axe-Fx you can hear more of your guitar's actual sound coming through but not so much with the cheaper modellers.

I didn't notice low end modelers where that bad. I certainly remember hearing a difference through a spider but that was like 8 years ago... I hope I can try an Axe-Fx soon, everybody is commenting great stuff about those babies!
Quote by monwobobbo

which POD do you have?
Quote by monwobobbo
an XT

well there's the issue i have an xt also and with the xt it doesn't matter what amp guitar or pickups your using its gonna sound how its gonna sound but the HD500 has extremely noticeable differences between guitars amps pickups...etc.
humbuckers on the hd500 make for a way better metal sound.