I came to think about that Finland has TONS of metal bands of all subgenres. And I imagine there are metal shows there every week, but I don't understand how they don't get bored with metal if they are going to local shows as well as professional and big shows?

I mean I love metal, but if I were to listen to it at local shows every week as well as attending big shows with big bands I would probably get bored, but that's me. I don't understand how the Finns can take it for so long x)
Simple - you have a diversified music taste so that you don't ONLY listen to metal and ONLY see metal shows and get bored ONLY by metal. You can treat yourself to getting bored by other genres too, you know.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Yes I know there is very few people that only listens to metal, but I just tried to imagine that ... and that would IMO be boring. I just wanted to hear some opinions on this ...
id imagine the weather and conditions in finland are pretty miserable and rainy and snowy and cold and dark. that would affect my mood a lot and make me want to listen to their kind of metal. i go to school in the mountains and as much rain and snow as we get i always find myself rocking to some opeth, scar symmetry, dark tranquillity, children of bosom etc in the winters.
CAROLINA
PANTHERS
This fall I have like 6 or 7 metal shows already lined up, that said, I haven't seen any live music all summer. I assume it's the same over there, you might see a band you like every week for a month or two and then the next 4 months there's nothing that interests you.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Maybe because they don't only go to metal shows? I'm sure there are other types of music in Finland.
What the fuck is it that I'm reading?

All I know is I'm seeing Saint Vitus on Saturday.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

I can't imagine that Finland is the consecrated metal grotto that you seem to think it is.

If so, though, I'd imagine people would just not go to shows if they didn't want to. Like the rest of us.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
yeah, I wouldn't go see a band like Cannibal Corpse or a lot of death metal bands, but I would see Immortal or Helloween because I like those bands. People don't just throw away money to see a band they don't like, unless the opening band is one that they really like.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by zezima940
I came to think about that Finland has TONS of metal bands of all subgenres. And I imagine there are metal shows there every week, but I don't understand how they don't get bored with metal if they are going to local shows as well as professional and big shows?

I mean I love metal, but if I were to listen to it at local shows every week as well as attending big shows with big bands I would probably get bored, but that's me. I don't understand how the Finns can take it for so long x)

Well, I have a theory to explain this phenomena. If we look back in history, Finns were Vikings. The guys with the helmets with horns on them. So, I guess heavy metal music kind of fits in with their "national identity."

This would explain why they never get bored with heavy metal music.

Just as a side note, I never get bored with metal music myself.

ron666
Oh, but that can only mean one thing. You're a viking, Ron! Yeeey!
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by ron666
Well, I have a theory to explain this phenomena. If we look back in history, Finns were Vikings. The guys with the helmets with horns on them. So, I guess heavy metal music kind of fits in with their "national identity."

This would explain why they never get bored with heavy metal music.

Just as a side note, I never get bored with metal music myself.

ron666

I might be wrong, but I don't think they were Vikings in Finland.
I though they were the Varangians, which was a sort of mixture of the Swedish Vikings and the Finns.

There's no evidence to suggest they had horns on their helmets, that's most probably Christian propaganda.

I'm pretty sure music doesn't come into national identity. Certainly not a style of music so new, they Vikings certainly wouldn't have listened to metal.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR

I'm pretty sure music doesn't come into national identity.

Obviously does!
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by duncang
Obviously does!

In what way?

There's music evocative of a country, and nationalistic music music inspired by a country, and each country has it's own sort of 'folk' sound.

But how does that relate to national identity?
Music informs culture, and national culture shapes national identity. Think of punk in London, the summer of love, or indeed Americanisation at the moment.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
(Arguing with Ron666)

Nice try buddy, Ron knows whats up.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by duncang
Music informs culture, and national culture shapes national identity. Think of punk in London, the summer of love, or indeed Americanisation at the moment.

In what way are those three Indicative of English National Identity?

I could understand Folk music and songs, and even the sort of nationalistic last night of the proms sort of music.

But I fail to see how punk shaped our national identity.
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Aug 28, 2011,
You basically live in a big cold forest as a neighbour of one the largest and scariest countries on earth. Either you kill yourself drinking and drowning or then you listen to heavy metal. Or do them both...
Quote by Kepulix
Oh, but that can only mean one thing. You're a viking, Ron! Yeeey!

Heee, heee, heee!! I never thought of that, but you may be right.

ron666
I've never been to any show because I'm an anti-social prick.
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage