Finally bit the bullet, and bought a distortion pedal for my Trace Elliot, and a new tube for it. The stupid guy at Straight Music didn't have a JJ 12AX7 like I wanted, so he gave me a JJ ECC803S Long plate, so I'm like, whatever, can't hurt. It sounds pretty good, better than the 3 year old JJ 12AX7 that came out of my Valveking that was all worn out that I had in the Trace Elliot. Much tighter, and responsive, and it doesn't have a huge volume drop in the pre gain.

Anyways, I bet you guys can't guess what I got. One of the greatest distortion pedals ever conceived by man, it makes those $1000 hand wired pedals look like muddy shrilly MGs. It melts faces, and destroys everything with crushing overdrive. Like my boots do!

Grahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Bask in it's glory!!!!!~!!!!

Ok, so it's not the greatest pedal in the world, but it beats the TS-9 as my gain. But I needed something for my single channel, 700 watt Hybrid bass amp.(I should be in advertising )

Anyways, I used to have a DS-1, until I destroyed it trying to do the Keeley, All Seeing Eye mod to it, so now it's being used as my soldering iron station. But for a stock pedal it doesn't sound half bad, especially through this amp.

Here's my colorful collection, and WTF pedal I'm working on, that fails to work properly.

Back of the Trace Elliot and B-52 because I can!

Here's the settings I'm using on the Trace Elliot when I recorded this song, that I'm about to post...sometime soon.

Anyways, here's a song I recorded using the DS-1, sound a bit odd, because I'm still working on finding the sweet spot on the B-52 with that SM-58.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1037620

j/k
HNGD!
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Happy NPD bro!
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by kutless999

Says the person with the RP :P

jk
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Oddly enough I don't own a single Boss pedal. Never intentionally stayed away from them. Just never happened into a deal where I wanted one.

HNPD. Listened to your clip. Sounds good.
not a bad sound - not to my personal taste but it definitely works and there's nothing wrong with the DS-1 if you know how to use it - obviously subjectivity comes into play here too because not everyone likes the sound the DS-1 makes.

but you know... haters gonna hate. i think the DS-1 is a good pedal so long as you're not expecting it to make a shit amp sound better
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
It's not a terrible pedal for a budget distortion

I hated it at first, but then I used it on my Jet City and REALLY tweaked around with it (Because the JCA is only a single channel amp) and I found it can have its sweet spots.

Quote by Blompcube
not a bad sound - not to my personal taste but it definitely works and there's nothing wrong with the DS-1 if you know how to use it - obviously subjectivity comes into play here too because not everyone likes the sound the DS-1 makes.

but you know... haters gonna hate. i think the DS-1 is a good pedal so long as you're not expecting it to make a shit amp sound better

Honestly most hate on the DS1 comes from people using it in front of their beginning practice amp or a Spider or something similar.
Yeah, it's not bad, and I got pretty good with it when I had it when I first got my Valveking, sounded pretty good. But on the Trace Elliot, the bass end is a tad too loose, much looser than my VK's natural gain, and it is a bit shrill. I'm gonna start slowly replacing all the resistors with metal film ones, and replace the LED with a Ultra Violet one, cause I can, and maybe swap some caps with the Keeley mod ones I still have, and see what it does.
It seems the new DS-1s look a lot better than the older ones.

Mine doesn't have that seemingly sparkly look on the footswitch!

Congrats on the new pedal, not the most popular, or even particularly great pedal out there, but if you run it through a good amp and tweak the knobs right you can get some good sounds from it!
What's your favorite settings for the ds?
Quote by kutless999

It really depends on the amp, what you see in the pic is what I used on the Trace Elliot, but that tone knob will never go above 2 oclock, otherwise it sounds like a MG on the Br00tLz setting.

A bassy amp needs more of the treble, a bright amp needs more of the muffled side of the pedal.

Gain sounds like crap regardless of setting.
I didn't like the one I tried at GC. All it would do was blast the volume and there was barely any gain.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

ok sorry couldn't resist. well if it works for you then more power to ya. i recently traded mine off after having it for over 20 years. can't say it got much or any use after around 1994.
Quote by kutless999

Off
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
Off

Lol

You guys just like to make fun of me, don't you?
Quote by lbj273
Off

HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by ethan_hanus
If it helps, I'm going to replace all the resistors with metal film ones, all the caps with film caps, all the diodes with germanium ones, vintage germanium, and the LED with a Ultra Violet one, cause I can.

Don't break it... or break it... doesn't really matter

jk

seriously though, good luck
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
Don't break it... or break it... doesn't really matter

jk

seriously though, good luck

Yeah, I'm a tad bit better at soldering than I was a few years ago....just a tad though.

My biggest worry is breaking those germanium diodes, they are glass, and I broke about 4 of em when I was pulling them out of this friken old Yamaha sound board. 10ish left.
Quote by kutless999
Lol

You guys just like to make fun of me, don't you?

we do

Quote by ethan_hanus
If it helps, I'm going to replace all the resistors with metal film ones, all the caps with film caps, all the diodes with germanium ones, vintage germanium, and the LED with a Ultra Violet one, cause I can.

its better after mods, but I'm still not a fan of how it sounds. I'll probably be picking one up again because I'm gonna be doing an 80s glam rock project though
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

thats true, and in all actuality one of my favorite lead tones was the satchurator that I had, which is a tweaked ds1. it just only did one sound and I needed more out of it
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
we do

its better after mods, but I'm still not a fan of how it sounds. I'll probably be picking one up again because I'm gonna be doing an 80s glam rock project though

I dont mind at all.
@ U
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Cool man just don't do what I did to mine and put a Van Halen paintjob and second rate mod on it
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
DS-1's aren't too bad, they make good projectiles to throw at Mormons. They'll even still work after bouncing off their head and flying under a truck.

The ECC803S is a fine tube. They are the old Tesla long plate tube that dates back to the good ol' days. Made on the same machinery, in the same factory. They don't have quite as much gain as an ECC83S and they have a tendency to be microphonic but unless you stick them in a combo the amount of microphonics is usually negligible. But quiet, very quiet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification