So I'm getting some money and I decided that I wanted to upgrade from solid state to tube. At the moment I have Schecter C-1 standard going into a B-52 Tri-Channel 100W head with a 4x12 cab pushing Celestions (not sure what kind.. sounds kinda like V75s). I play mostly metal, but I do write with other influences so I am looking for a little flexibility with my tone. I plan on getting some boss distortion/overdrive/boost (depending on the amp), so I have two questions:

Since I already have a half stack should I just get a smaller tube combo amp (1x12, 2x12)?

Or should I invest in a new tube head?
My recommendation was actually going to be the B52 AT-100 head. You can find them cheap all over the place. I saw one on my craigslist for only $200 with new tubes. It is great for nice cleans all the way to high gain metal and when I had one, I never had a problem with reliability.
Quote by coolstoryangus
I'm a bit of a fanboy of this amp but look into a used Peavey Ultra Plus

I was looking into peaveys, I've heard good things about their high-gain amps. How are the cleans?

Quote by VegasBlues
My recommendation was actually going to be the B52 AT-100 head. You can find them cheap all over the place. I saw one on my craigslist for only $200 with new tubes. It is great for nice cleans all the way to high gain metal and when I had one, I never had a problem with reliability.

I got surprised by the B-52s, honestly. They have a really well rounded sounds. How much do they run new? And what sound would you say it models the best?
How much do you think I could get it slightly used? I'm buying online, my local guitar shops suck as much dick as a 2 bit hooker, and everything else is MSRP -gag-

And how bout combo amps?
Usually better off with heads for metal. Gives you more options...

Pricing varies with the ultra heads but it should deffo be within your budget.
You speak the truth, plus the sound is pushed so much better. Once you go 4x12 you can never go back lol what do you think of Bugeras? I was looking into them and they seem pretty sweet, but is the sound good for what I'd want? I like metal, but I don't like uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuber distorted metal.. Machine head/Later pantera is as distorted as I'd like to get lol
Build quality is a concern with bugeras. I'd still go with the peavey the build will be much better on it. Plus why have a rip off when you can have the real thing (well none of the bugeras are based on the ultra plus but a few of them are based on the ultra plus's relatives)
Quote by Metal_Master_0
How much do you think I could get it slightly used? I'm buying online, my local guitar shops suck as much dick as a 2 bit hooker, and everything else is MSRP -gag-

And how bout combo amps?

Where do you live?
The B-52 AT-100 has been discontinued and was replaced by, IMO, the lesser ATX-100. The AT-100 had a very Mesa Rectifier tone with a nice Fenderish clean tone. I was able to nail anything from Sultans of Swing to ****ing Hostile and everything in between. Like I said you can find them used super cheap. Check out some vids on youtube.
Quote by D_M_I
Where do you live?

Gainesville, FL

Yeah, I was looking at the used stuff but the only thing that bugs me about it is the fact that if it's used I'm not sure about the tubes. I don't wanna have to go shelling out a couple hundred to replace some tubes.
Honestly you'd likely be replacing tubes in a new cheaper tube amp like for example a bugera anyway. Chances are with something used they'll have been swapped at some point for something that will still have some life in it!
You can probably get a much better amp used for what you have to spend rather than looking at what you afford new (not much). If you look for used locally, you can at least try it out and there is always room for haggling, so you can leave yourself enough money for some tubes just in case.
The local guitar shops aren't much of guitar shops =/ They carry like 2 heads at a time (at most) in each store. Usually in bad condition. You prove a good point, I could just buy something good used and have money for tubes.
Not only that, at $450 or less, you are not going to find much new. Used is by far your best option.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Mehh... you can do better than a B-52 if you look around on Craigslist used. The peavey suggestion was a good one, but also look at possibly a Marshall JCM900.

Yeah, there's not much in his area on CL. The b52 was mentioned so I posted it.
Yeah, my area is pretty shitty for buying good gear. Don't need the cab though, but I may contact him. I was doing some searching and I was looking at some used randalls and some peaveys. What about the peavey valveking?
Quote by Metal_Master_0
Yeah, my area is pretty shitty for buying good gear. Don't need the cab though, but I may contact him. I was doing some searching and I was looking at some used randalls and some peaveys. What about the peavey valveking?

If you can get an Ultra Plus or an XXX, don't bother with the Valveking. Or you could save up a bit and get a 5150 combo or something. The Valveking will not do good high gain without some serious extra effort.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If you can get an Ultra Plus or an XXX, don't bother with the Valveking. Or you could save up a bit and get a 5150 combo or something. The Valveking will not do good high gain without some serious extra effort.

I read a lot of mixed reviews. I do like controlled high gain, by the way so if it's still like high gain just not out of control (I really don't need to be metalcore lol) I wouldn't mind. I like tight distortions. I can't find an Ultra Plus ANYWHERE though. I'll try lookin for XXX though.
Quote by D_M_I
B-52 AT-100 TUBE Half Stack Amplifier - $400

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/msg/2528755849.html

I think that is a good deal. I quite like the B52 AT series. Nice cleans and nice distortion. Fair amount of flexibility. Pots felt sturdy and it was quiet. Great bang for the buck. Wouldn't hurt you to go check it out.

Personally, I'd rather have it than a JCM900 and the XXL is a bit shrill and bright imo. Vypyr 60 is a cool amp - but a bit different than what you are looking for now.

Didn't see last posts. 5150 is cool. XXX/Ultra would work if you can darken them up a bit or maybe run on EL34s. Again imo.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 25, 2011,