hey, my homework for guitar class is to write a solo in the F# harmonic minor scale, for a hard rock/ metal type song, but when i try to write it, it always comes out sounding bluesy. this is probably a stupid question, but why is this and how can i help it from happening?
You're not listening to what you're doing enough. You're not thinking enough.

Stop just letting your fingers run over what you know and actively stay away from what you know. Stay away from playing blues licks or putting in those microtonal blues bends or whatever it is that's making you sound blues.

Stop. Listen. Think. THEN play.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, first of all, write in whatever style you like rather than something generic: a change in style could work well (my metal harmonic minor soloing is gypsy jazz inspired). However, the harmonic minor loves two things:

1. the interval between the maj7 and the octave, and
2. the b5.

use the maj7 to root interval more to get avery, very strong harmonic sound, and use the b5 to create tension that can be resolved well. if it isn't sounding harmonic minor, you are most likely not using that vital major 7th which determines whether the scale is harmonic minor or not.

I also recommend you look at harmonic minor useage in several genres. A great song to blow over is minor swing. In terms of metal, deathcore loves the harmonic minor and its modes, particularly the more generic stuff which has made it have that trademark sound.

maybe look at protest the hero (okay, not hard rock); they use it a lot. Iron maiden use it a hell of a lot too. Also, Diablo Swing Orchestra pretty much only use it.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 25, 2011,
cuz you're probably used to pentonics which are really bluesy by nature. also you may be phrasing in a blusey manner. none of this is bad either btw, if you can write a solo in that key with some blues style thrown in that would work.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
What is the problem with having a bluesy sounding slolo in a hard rock, metal song? Just stay as you are, use some fast runs up and down the fretboard. There isn't any specific thing you can say about how to write a metal type solo. Many metal solos actually have a bluesy influence. So sounding bluesy isn't bad at all and will your solo make different from the others.
Quote by Goodtimes666
cuz you're probably used to pentonics which are really bluesy by nature. also you may be phrasing in a blusey manner. none of this is bad either btw, if you can write a solo in that key with some blues style thrown in that would work.

Pentatonics are not inherently bluesy, only pentatonics phrased in a bluesy way are.

Metal players make pentatonic sound metal, jazzers make it sound jazzy, country players make it sound country, classical players make it sound classical.

It's just 5 notes; possibly the 5 most common notes in all of guitar. It's down to you how they sound, not the notes themselves.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
what are some techniques i could use to maybe get it to sound more 80's? i haven't ever tried tapping so itd be really sloppy if i tried to incorporate that yet.
Step 1.
*****stupidly large image removed and warning issued - don't do it again****
Step 2.

The Human Abstract/Black Dahlia Murder/Yngwie/Necrophagist (solos)

Step 3.

????????????

Step 4.

PROFIT!
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Common 80s techniques are legato , unison bends, and alternate picking as far as I think. Tapping wasn't that big I guess though you would get a nice 80 sound if you imply it right.
That's the problem. You're writing it. Just play it, and if it comes out bluesy, roll with it.
Then I whispered in her ear, fear me dear, for I am Death.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?