Poll: What "crooked" cover is the best?
Poll Options
View poll results: What "crooked" cover is the best?
entity0009 - Rebecca Black's My Moment
21 32%
FrauVfromPoB - Rancid's Travis Bickle
0 0%
muffinduck01 - Metallica's Orion
1 2%
theogonia777 - Death's Crystal Mountain
1 2%
dethofmoo - LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem
11 17%
Alkaline 64 - Radiohead's Street Spirit
6 9%
Sampy - Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train
23 35%
RPGoof - Arch Enemy's Slaves of Yesterday
3 5%
Voters: 66.
Page 1 of 2
What is a crooked cover, you ask?

By "crooked", I'm basically saying the point is to cover a song in a totally different manner than it was originally recorded. For example, taking a Necrophagist song (technical death metal) and covering it Bossa Nova style I would consider a "crooked" cover. For some pretty cool examples, check out Andy Rehfeldt's smooth jazz styled Enter Sandman, Iron Horse's bluegrass cover of the same song, or Sunn O)))'s drone version of For Whom the Bell Tolls..

Well that's awesome, how do I decide what to vote on?

Some general guidelines are that you should first consider how close the cover is to the original song. These are covers, obviously, but they are composed a bit differently. Secondly, consider how the song would stand on it's own. Would you listen to it on an odd day because it's that awesome of a song, or is it just some crap cover that sounds like the original?

If any links are bad or something is missing or wrong, let me know. The poll will close on 09-02-2011 at 06:46 PM EST, so get your votes in before then!

SUBMISSIONS:

entity0009 - Rebecca Black's My Moment
Listen to the cover
Listen to the original

FrauVfromPoB - Rancid's Travis Bickle
Listen to the cover
Listen to the original

muffinduck01 - Metallica's Orion
Listen to the cover
Listen to the original

theogonia777 - Death's Crystal Mountain
Listen to the cover
Listen to the original

dethofmoo - LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem
Listen to the cover
Listen to the original

Alkaline 64 - Radiohead's Street Spirit
Listen to the cover
Listen to the original

Sampy - Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train
Listen to the cover
Listen to the original

RPGoof - Arch Enemy's Slaves of Yesterday
Listen to the cover
Listen to the original
Last edited by RPGoof at Aug 25, 2011,
It would be nice to know what the aim of this contest is

edit:
OK, I've had a good listen to all the entries, what a great idea for a contest. Here's a few thoughts on the entries that stood out for me:

entity0009 - Rebecca Black's My Moment: Who would've thought this song could actually be made good? Well, it has been. Miles away from it's original genre and saved from auto-tunevocal hell, it's a great cover and in great keeping of the contest theme. Whilst some people have said it doesn't really sound like My Moment, you would have to be tone deaf to not hear what song it is. Especially at the chorus. You can't get more "crooked" than this.

dethofmoo - LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem: This really made me smile. It's well produced and surprisingly laid back. I was expecting some kind of death metal cover and that's exactly what I didn't get, full marks for that.

Alkaline 64 - Radiohead's Street Spirit: It's a radiohead song turned un-depressing. Excellent. Whilst it could benefit from better recording, admire Alkaline 64 for doing this in one take and in front of the camera. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Sampy - Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train I like Sampy's choice, it's fun to listen to and a credit to the original song.

Overall well done to the entries who really got into the whole "crooked" theme and made some incredibly memorable covers. I won't say who I voted for :P Mainly cos it's fucking hard to choose.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Aug 25, 2011,
Finally

One thing, you might wanna paste the guidelines of the contest in the OP, just so people are clear what it's about
🙈 🙉 🙊
Yeah, sorry about the lateness of the thread, I got a little busy with college and it totally slipped my mind

I posted some general guidelines in the OP. I just wanted to get this damn thing posted before I get smothered in homework again
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Wow, mine seriously pales in comparison to most of these. The Crystal Mountain cover was incredibly inventive... buuuut I didn't vote for it hahahaha.

yeah. my playing was pretty bad on it. man, i have no technical skill on keys...

they were all very good, but i thought the Crazy Train one was the best. it sounded the most, for lack of a better term, "authentic" out of all of them. and i was just a bit disappointed with entity's. it was very well done, but when i saw "doom metal" i was expecting something a little more along the lines of Thergothon, Ahab, or Skepticism.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
yeah. my playing was pretty bad on it. man, i have no technical skill on keys...

they were all very good, but i thought the Crazy Train one was the best. it sounded the most, for lack of a better term, "authentic" out of all of them. and i was just a bit disappointed with entity's. it was very well done, but when i saw "doom metal" i was expecting something a little more along the lines of Thergothon, Ahab, or Skepticism.

I think that would have twisted it beyond recognition

Besides, you can't play that kind of doom in D# tuning ;_;
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
I think that would have twisted it beyond recognition

Besides, you can't play that kind of doom in D# tuning ;_;

i was actually originally going to do a funeral/drone cover of Gloomy Sunday, but i didn't have enough time to arrange it.

i don't even have an interface or nothing, just the usb output on my keyboard. tuning guitars to... nothing doesn't work well either.

this was a fun competition though. are we gonna have it again?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I would love to hold the competition again, but it's discouraging when only about 30% of the sign-ups produced a submission. Keep an eye out, cause even 8 submissions is enough really

I'm gonna give it some time before I start another, with school starting for everyone (and my finals in a few weeks :p and whatnot, now isn't the best time. I'll probably change up some of the rules too, as it looks like the only songs that were submitted were from the open category. Perhaps I'll incorporate a theme as well, we shall see
Quote by RPGoof
I would love to hold the competition again, but it's discouraging when only about 30% of the sign-ups produced a submission. Keep an eye out, cause even 8 submissions is enough really

that seems to be the approximate submission rate for contests in the pit. if you do, i already know what song i would cover. it would be amazing.
Quote by cornmancer
I voted Crazy Train because I do not give a shit about metal and that's the only one I could listen to all the way through. The others were good, but I just do not like metal. At all.

Not even dethofmoo and Alkaline 64's entries all the way through? They weren't metal.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Wow, these are all great. It's hard to pick but I've gotta pick entitys, he turned an absolute shit song into something amazing
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by cornmancer
I voted Crazy Train because I do not give a shit about metal and that's the only one I could listen to all the way through. The others were good, but I just do not like metal. At all.

Most of the entries weren't really metal?
Crazy train was awesome. Voted.
Alkaline's came close, if only it had been through a better recording process, would be amazing
STRIKING MINORS
^ Haha, I wish I could have recorded it properly, but I ended up rushing it instead afraid I might miss the deadline, which apparently didn't matter anyway.

But, yeah. Crazy Train was totally awesome.
Sampy's Crazy Train was easily my favorite.
Some good stuff all around though.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I voted for Sampy's Crazy Train. The Orion cover was very good too, and I liked the crystal mountain one also.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Loved Crazy Train - awesome transformation!
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
That Crazy Train was the catchiest thing I've heard in ages.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Entities video SLOWWWWLY zoomed in on Rebecca Blacks twisted face.

He gets my vote for that alone.

The rock n roll one was probably better, but you know.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
Entities video SLOWWWWLY zoomed in on Rebecca Blacks twisted face.

He gets my vote for that alone.

The rock n roll one was probably better, but you know.

you noticed!
🙈 🙉 🙊
SAMPY IS LE WINNER

You win: E-penis enlargement!

Congrats man! There will be another round coming up within the next few months, so keep your eyes peeled. There were a lot of good submissions here.
Quote by RPGoof
SAMPY IS LE WINNER

You win: E-penis enlargement!

Congrats man! There will be another round coming up within the next few months, so keep your eyes peeled. There were a lot of good submissions here.

Congrats Sampy.

I actually just listened to my track for the first time yesterday, and realized there was a glitch in the rendering process, hence why my track sounded like shit. My apologies.

And yes, hurry up with the next one, I have a great idea for it.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
So I check my email and It tells me I have a private message which in turn tells me that I won...

And I didn't even know the voting had started!

Thanks guys!

If I'd been in time to vote then it would have totally been for Party Rock Anthem.
"Everyday I'm shufflin" *cue epic jazz* Loved it!

All the entries were awesome though. The creativity on UG never ceases to amaze me!

T'was an awesome competition. Bring on the next one!!!
Congratulations to Sampy, a very worthy winner!

This has been a really cool competition, thanks RPGoof for doing it (yours was my favourite entry). Looking forward to any others ones that happen.
Page 1 of 2