I got my Peavey XXL head Fixed today! Plays like it did new. While I was waiting I was serious contemplating just buying a different amp and getting a refund for the XXL since I got it New 2 weeks ago. On Craigslist there are Bugera 333XL heads for 200 bucks new along with matching cabs for 200$. Id just buy the head since I already have a cab but I paid 400$ for the Peavey new. I was wondering if the Bugera would be better I play Thrash/Death metal and play the occational Led Zepplin/Eagles song. There is also a 6262 Head on there for 400$ I could probably get down to 350$
Bugera's are a diecent tube amp, I would deff have reservations buying used from someone I don't know. Most that have the newer ones have no issues like in the begining. I have a 333 head, and think it was a great value. The tone is deffinately comparible to the Peaveys that they are coppied from, however they have to cut corners to sell these for @$500ish new. I don't want to say that Bugeras are bad, but I don't know if I would trust a used one unless I couldplay it before I bought it. This is from a Bugera owner.

It (any Bugera) will deff sound better than the XXL you now use.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Bugera's will sound better than your XXL.

There have been some reliability issues with the Bugs...so not sure if it is worth it.

Did you find out what was wrong with your amp?

PS: No .VS Threads
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 26, 2011,
The Booger will definitely sound better, but like said before they're known for reliability issues. Peaveys are usually built like total tanks, but if yours broke down already then it can't be that reliable either. What I would reccomend is finding a used Peavey Ultra, Ultra Plus or XXX. They are amazing amps for high gain (I liked mine better than my 6505 for most stuff) and they are great at everything clean and inbetween as well. And cheeeeaaaap.
I'd never buy a Bugera just because of the quality control issues. Every Bugera that's left the store I work for has come back for repairs. I've worked there for three months and we've sold 6-7 different Bugeras. ALL have been returned/shipped away for repair.

The XXL is a nice solid state amp. One of the best SS amps I've ever heard. I'd still prefer an Ultra if you're a Peavey guy.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
I've been using a Bugera 333xl head and quad for almost three and I've NEVER i repeat NEVER had a problem with it unlike my old Mesa Boogie MK4 that i bought new back in '88 which was in and out of the tech for all sorts of issues, now that had reliability issues ....
Quote by Talon64
I've been using a Bugera 333xl head and quad for almost three and I've NEVER i repeat NEVER had a problem with it unlike my old Mesa Boogie MK4 that i bought new back in '88 which was in and out of the tech for all sorts of issues, now that had reliability issues ....

I didn't think you could get mk IV's in '88...
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish

You couldn't since they weren't on the market till '90...

Either BS or bad memory.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by mulefish

ok it was so long ago probably 1990 i just remember using in a band which was together 88 to 93 somewhere in that time frame
After talking to the peavey sales rep today he just took the head and ordered a new one for me to pick up wendesday express shipping and Gave me a 3 year extended warrenty for no money outa my pocket so Ima happy camper ATM and itll be a while before I Get another amp head but when I do Ima get a XXX or a V3 depending cause my next purchase is going to be a nice tube amp. Either way cheers I can play on something other than this damn Fender Frontman coming up this wendesday.
Quote by Abadinator
After talking to the peavey sales rep today he just took the head and ordered a new one for me to pick up wendesday express shipping and Gave me a 3 year extended warrenty for no money outa my pocket so Ima happy camper ATM and itll be a while before I Get another amp head but when I do Ima get a XXX or a V3 depending cause my next purchase is going to be a nice tube amp. Either way cheers I can play on something other than this damn Fender Frontman coming up this wendesday.

so the peavey sales rep ordered you a new XXL or a new Bugera?

because the XXL has been discontinued a long time.

i think this thread is in a time warp.

because man, that is one vague post.

good luck with whatever the heck you are talking about.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.