Due to recent budgetting for things I needed I am stuck with my old Zoom G1 Guitar Effects Pedal, and my Ibanez TBX150R Solid State Amp. Im using a Custom Guitar with a EMG 81 in the Brigde.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on getting some good Tube sounding metal and blues sounds. I cant get anything close to a Tube

thanks!
X
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by medic24
hmmmm, well... buy a tube amp?

Derp.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Due to other things like the birth of my child thats going to happen soon, I had to get rid of my Marshall stack to afford some of the baby stuff and free up space. Even though it wasnt needed for the baby, its nice to have a changing table and abunch of other stuff for the baby, Sacfriced a little for her but I dont mind, I can always get a new amp, Eventaully lol
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
basically, there isnt really a cheap fix. otherwise there wouldnt be such a big market for expensive tube amps. i say just wait until you are more financially stable. just deal with your current gear for now.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
A tube sound without tubes... Hmm... beats me
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by InanezGuitars44
basically, there isnt really a cheap fix. otherwise there wouldnt be such a big market for expensive tube amps. i say just wait until you are more financially stable. just deal with your current gear for now.

Figured, Guess im waiting a few months to get a Tube again. O well, I guess i'll deal with this umm... "Fine work" of art
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
^ +1 ... Don't waste the money

Quote by Xter
Due to other things like the birth of my child thats going to happen soon, I had to get rid of my Marshall stack to afford some of the baby stuff and free up space. Even though it wasnt needed for the baby, its nice to have a changing table and abunch of other stuff for the baby, Sacfriced a little for her but I dont mind, I can always get a new amp, Eventaully lol

I applaud you keeping your priorities strait. Congrats on the upcoming baby. Your time will come again. Unless you want to sell what you have to fund new stuff I'd just hold tight. If you need help with the Zoom then maybe ask in the DSP/MFX thread or PM fly135. Let me know if you need help tracking down either of those two sources.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 26, 2011,
My suggestion: Buy a cheap beat-up acoustic, learn some finger-picking for the next few months.

You're going to hate the way your amp sounds, ESPECIALLY because of those EMGs. I've had an EMG-loaded guitar for 5 years and NEVER enjoyed it. I used to think maybe electric guitar isn't my thing. I hated turning the sound up. I JUST got a tube amp, and wow, it was just unbelievable how much I enjoy it now - how much I enjoy cranking it.

So yeah, maybe an acoustic or classical is the way to go, even moreso because of the controlled volume (the baby will appreciate it).

Congrats.
-Hill
+1 on the acoustic.

You either have to use headphones with babies, or get an acoustic. To be honest it's a practical matter as well because my amp used to be set up in a spare bedroom, and if the kids were in bed themselves, that put the amp out of action. Being able to carry the acoustic around the house (and even outside) meant I had more time to play. Also, because I didn't spend half my time trying to find the leads and headphones to plug into the amp, again I had more time to play.

You will find that you will simply have less time to play, so anything that allows you to maximise that time will be the best solution, and I found that an acoustic worked for me. I could spend five minutes playing if that's all I had before getting ready to leave the house with the wife and kids, because that will now take a few hours rather than minutes.

There's very little that can't be played on an acoustic, albiet with a different tone and speed! However when you do get to pick up the electric again, you will notice how much better you play. Well I did anyway.
Prichard amps or the old Harmonic Generator by PRS are the only SS amps that can @90% sound tube, but they are very pricey.

Congrats on the baby girl, get ready for a super "cool" ride through childhood!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i used to use a crate 2x12 combo and a line6 floor pod. the weird looking 200 dollar one. i used to play rhythm guitar in a hard rock band. the lead guitarist used a line6 hd147 that sounded like crap cause he turned the gain up way too high but anyway my amp always cut through during live shows while his would blend in with the cymbals. he also used a peavey valveking at practice and it was the same thing.
Quote by Xter
Due to recent budgetting for things I needed I am stuck with my old Zoom G1 Guitar Effects Pedal, and my Ibanez TBX150R Solid State Amp. Im using a Custom Guitar with a EMG 81 in the Brigde.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on getting some good Tube sounding metal and blues sounds. I cant get anything close to a Tube

thanks!
X
Try plugging your Zoom G1 into the FX loop return of your amp and completely bypass the preamp. Then concentrate on tweaking the amp models on the Zoom. I'm not familiar with the G1, but I have the new G3 and think the tones I can get right through headphones are pretty tube sounding. YMMV
The closest thing to a tube amp is modelling gear. The Vox Tonelab series specifically, is probably the most authentic sounding.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by deano_l
+1 on the acoustic.

You either have to use headphones with babies, or get an acoustic. To be honest it's a practical matter as well because my amp used to be set up in a spare bedroom, and if the kids were in bed themselves, that put the amp out of action. Being able to carry the acoustic around the house (and even outside) meant I had more time to play. Also, because I didn't spend half my time trying to find the leads and headphones to plug into the amp, again I had more time to play.

You will find that you will simply have less time to play, so anything that allows you to maximise that time will be the best solution, and I found that an acoustic worked for me. I could spend five minutes playing if that's all I had before getting ready to leave the house with the wife and kids, because that will now take a few hours rather than minutes.

There's very little that can't be played on an acoustic, albiet with a different tone and speed! However when you do get to pick up the electric again, you will notice how much better you play. Well I did anyway.

+1 with acoustic guitar. Try learning classical guitar, it will improve your playing in a ver significant way, if you start dominating it you will flyyyyy on electric guitar. J.S. Sagreras is the best classical guitar method I can recommend to you, is my holy grail and I'm so happy with it. Your family and your overall playing will thank you.

By the way, you will do good with your actual gear for now, keep it and try several configurations with it until you find what suits you the best.

Congrats with your new baby!
I would assume a newborn baby would fetch at least $700 on ebay or the Ugandan slave trade market, you could get a vox ac15 with that kinda cheese! Or the vox valtronix amps sound stunning (imo) and cost about as much as a pedal. I got my epivalvejr for $100 (but there's no hp jack)(used) and its a sweet lil class A practice amp that'll even keep up with drums for the most part
^you're not very nice.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by lucky1978
I would assume a newborn baby would fetch at least $700 on ebay or the Ugandan slave trade market, you could get a vox ac15 with that kinda cheese! Or the vox valtronix amps sound stunning (imo) and cost about as much as a pedal. I got my epivalvejr for $100 (but there's no hp jack)(used) and its a sweet lil class A practice amp that'll even keep up with drums for the most part

C'mon you're being daft to suggest that.

You need to consider things like age, race, hair and eye colour, weight, genetic disease risk and predisposition, deformities (or potential for) etc etc. At the end of the day, a baby could be worth less than 700 bones, or more than.

In all honesty, trying to get a tube amp tone without a tube amp, could end up costing more than getting a tube amp to begin with. I'd advise the TS to forget about the idea and to just save up for a tube amp or at least a Pod with FRFR speakers/epheadphones.

And if my friend's past experience of owing a baby is anything to go by, he should have enough money for a tube amp in about 60 years.

Babies, they'll suck you dry, eat your flesh, lick out your marrow, nibble on your bones and then swallow your soul whole.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 27, 2011,
Well, without buying any good gear, pretty much every amp has at least one good setting. Perhaps instead of trying to make it fit what you're looking for, see what it has to offer?
Peavey do a really good tune simulator,built into some of their amps,can't remember what its called though.Really warms up a solid state though
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
How about that one watt amp from blackheart (Little ant I think)? That's not that expensive and still a quiet and nice tube amp.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant