I'm 16 and going into Grade 11, and it's about that time in my high school life that the teachers are pressuring us to at least get an idea of what job we want to do to decide what classes to take and whatnot. My parents want me to go into business or something in that area, get my MBA (Masters in Business Administration) and get a desk job. The problem is, I don't want to get a desk job. The whole office/cubicle/flourescent lighting scene bores the hell out of me. I frequently visit my father's office and I can't imagine myself working in any place like that. So I'm very clueless on what I should go for.
And by the way, I realize UG forums shouldn't really be my first choice in where to go for help, I just want any help I can get.
Do something you enjoy until you figure out what you'd be happy doing.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
It seems like it'll be hard to get a desk job at 16. At 16, you're looking at Movie Theatres, Taco Bell, Grocery Stores, etc.
I entered this thread and read "16 going into Grade 11", expecting you to be looking for a part-time job to put some extra cash in your pocket.

Why are you worrying about your career at 16?
Quote by Mazzakazza
dw. i'm 20, no clue but im still alive and having lots of fun.

people shouldn't pressure you into trying to choose - no-one really ever knows...

I'm 53 and echo this sentiment.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
most people go their whole lives not knowing what they want to do
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Just think about your interests and you skill set. Focus first on what you WANT to do. Don't worry about difficulty level, excitement level, or pay until you get some direction in mind. Just get a big picture before you pick a single career.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
im 19 , and still have no ****in clue of what i wanna do im starting 10 th grade this september for informatic engineering , i know im good at it but i cant imagine doing it my whole life
keep an open mind
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Whatever you choose on doing, chances are one of these things will happen:

1. You will love it and it will be your dream career
2. You will hate it and immediately switch to something else
3. You will dislike it at first, but after a while realise you like it
4. You will like it at first, then later decide it's not what you want

Any four of those things can happen at any time no matter what you do, so it's a good idea to just start with something you enjoy doing and hope for the best. And if it doesn't work out, you can always do something else.

Thus is the joy of capitalism.
desk jobs aren't that bad. As long as you can find a friendly place to do it.

But you shouldn't really be too bothered about your future until you have all your grades under your belt. You should however be trying voluntary work experiences or just finding a part time job.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Do not do what you parents want you to do. Bad. Bad bad bad.

Just pick classes that interest you. You'll be fine.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by Conor360

This is true but it doesn't hurt to try to get an early start to a potential career.

You're 16 TS. Just pick classes that you may like. And if you like any of those classes, find out what you can do with that knowledge by asking whoever teaches the class. That's what I did.

I was doing graphic design my first 2 years in college until I took a class in After Effects. Now I see a lot of commercials as art. Especially the Old Spice commercials.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Aug 25, 2011,
Half the kids in college don't even know what they want to do. Relax and enjoy your high school years. That's not to say ignore it completely, but don't feel like you HAVE to figure it out NOW. You still have plenty of time to do it and it's likely you'll change your mind after you think you've figured it out.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
Find the subject area that interests you the most and makes the most money. That what I did with physics and its really starting to actually interest me.
Quote by Conor360

What a sad life....
1)Find something that you can picture yourself doing every day (7 days a week) for the rest of your life, without you waking up every day thinking "GODDAMMIT, i HAVE TO GO BACK TO THAT FUCKING PLACE AGAIN TODAY!?!"
2)Find a way to make money doing it.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I'm going to college and planning to major in history because I like it, not because it factors into some career plan. I'll worry about career stuff in a few years.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Briyan_15
What a great life....

Ya fixed that for you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
ive worked for a cafe, a clothing shop, a record label, a venue, a bank and back in retail again. Your never stuck in your first career choice, so if you dont like what your doing, keep going till you find what you feel like you were ment to do.
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Just get to college and then worry about it.

One day you'll just be like "oh shit, that's what I want to do with my life".

Don't ever, ever, evereverevereverever even give a single thought to what your parents want you to do. Ever. Seriously. My mom told me she'd like me to go into something like accounting, and I just immediately told her no, that's not what I'm interested in. She seemed okay with that, and it was probably because I was very straightforward with her; I suggest you do the same thing. If you don't want to do what they want you to do, they need to respect that. If they don't respect it and won't pay for your education if you're going to do something they don't like, then there are plenty of ways to pay for it yourself.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
I know how to feel. I'm in university for business then this summer I got a forestry job, doing selective logging and stuff. Now I want to be a lumberjack lol
Quote by Steel8909
I know how to feel. I'm in university for business then this summer I got a forestry job, doing selective logging and stuff. Now I want to be a lumberjack lol

Really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xToPCaNxaow
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

lol I know it sounds funny that I want to be a lumberjack, but I can make like 30k in about 6 months of work, then when I'm on seasonal unemployment (free money woot) I can look for a real job. If the job search is unsuccesful then back to the woods
work is work. if you love your job, you are the exception. you work for the weekend and the evenings that are too short. mornings come too early and the clothes arent comfortable. sometimes you have a great time at work, but its still work. its not like fun. but you have money and youre making your own way in life. even though it sucks, it makes it all worth it.

you will never be happy like in tv shows and movies. it is not real. just accept this now and everything becomes easier.

if you want to give yourself a good chance of getting a good job immediately out of college, you need to get a degree that specializes in something. a general degree like business administration is not in high demand.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
work is work. if you love your job, you are the exception. you work for the weekend and the evenings that are too short. mornings come too early and the clothes arent comfortable. sometimes you have a great time at work, but its still work. its not like fun. but you have money and youre making your own way in life. even though it sucks, it makes it all worth it.

you will never be happy like in tv shows and movies. it is not real. just accept this now and everything becomes easier.

We might as well kill ourselves then. Also, that's a retail job you're describing.
Quote by metaldud536
We might as well kill ourselves then. Also, that's a retail job you're describing.

im describing reality.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
im describing reality.

you're in fucking college, bro, what the hell do you know about reality? You have no idea what it's like working a job for a decade, so don't talk like you do.
Quote by CoreysMonster
you're in fucking college, bro, what the hell do you know about reality? You have no idea what it's like working a job for a decade, so don't talk like you do.

granted i havent been working a job for a decade, but ive been graduated for a bit now. the real life is not like they told you it would be. its alot easier later, if you acknowledge this earlier. its not always terrible, but its never like you thought it should be.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
pick classes you like, you like shop class? carpenter etc etc

Off topic im tossing up between a chefs apprenticeship and a tattooing apprenticeship love art and cooking equally help me UG.
sorry for the thread hijack TS
im 17, just finished school
Last edited by OG frenchy at Aug 25, 2011,
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
granted i havent been working a job for a decade, but ive been graduated for a bit now. the real life is not like they told you it would be. its alot easier later, if you acknowledge this earlier. its not always terrible, but its never like you thought it should be.

I saw plenty of the real life before going to school, and it's up to what you make of it. If all you do is go to work, do your shift, then come home and watch TV, then of course your life is gonna suck.

EDIT: I agree, though, life is DEFINITELY never like you expect it to be
Remember that you don't necessarily need to go to college. High schools all seem to emphasize that everyone must go to college to succeed. I went to college for a year, never really figured out what I wanted, puttered around in crappy jobs for a bit, and then got into an apprenticeship at a power company. Now I'm 24 and making 65k a year. In 3 1/2 years I'll be making 100k+. Don't forget about all the trades out there, you'll make as much or more in a lot of them than most college graduates.
Quote by stratman7
Remember that you don't necessarily need to go to college. High schools all seem to emphasize that everyone must go to college to succeed. I went to college for a year, never really figured out what I wanted, puttered around in crappy jobs for a bit, and then got into an apprenticeship at a power company. Now I'm 24 and making 65k a year. In 3 1/2 years I'll be making 100k+. Don't forget about all the trades out there, you'll make as much or more in a lot of them than most college graduates.

how did u get that apprenticeship?
"Pick what you're GOOD at" "Pick what you WANT to do"

What if I'm not good at what i want to do?
Want to leave hurtful comments about me and my band on youtube!?!?!? Click the link below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWguqmZB34

Quote by Tragic Mulatto
as long as you are in this thread you are in my vagina.
Quote by Blue_Strat_06
"Pick what you're GOOD at" "Pick what you WANT to do"

What if I'm not good at what i want to do?

And what if what you're good at doesn't pay well at all, or doesn't have a lot of demand?
I'm 16 and already decided to pursue a career in medicine.

I don't know how it's where you guys live, but here this IS the time to get a general idea of what you want to do, because you have to choose what subjects to drop and what subjects to keep at A levels. My only beef with this, is that our exams are pretty damn hard. They're graded not by points, but by % of how many people you outscored.

Say if you get a score in your exams better then 50% of the people taking it, your result is graded as "50%". And getting somewhere between 90-100% requires you to be at the top of your game.

Now this is all fine and dandy, but in countries such as Scotland or England, at least when medicine is concerned, our exams aren't taken seriously. Was looking at some requirements for universities in Scotland, and there's all these baccalaureates from all over Europe with requirements, and near the one we get when we finish school "We don't accept students with such a degree". That just pisses me off.

/rant