I just rewired everything in my Ibanez, and with GFS humbuckers in the neck and bridge.
There's just one problem. The stock single coil in the middle is not hum cancelling in positions 2 and 4.
So what do I do?
Do I just swap the hot and ground on the single coil, flip the magnets around, or do I need a different normal single coil in it's place?
Cusp of Magic
are you sure you used the right pickups for Bridge and Neck? If you swapped them by accident that would explain this...
reversing the wires will just put it out of phase. the polarity needs to be reversed. one has to have north toward the strings the other has to have south. you could flip your pickup upside down, but that wouldnt work well
i dont believe there is a way to make this happen without buying a new pup, but i could be wrong. maybe you can flip magnets or something... idk. but reversing the wires will be a sound you dont want, unless you like OOP. many people dont
Flipping the magnets also makes it out of phase.
What if I change the lead and ground wires on the humbuckers?
Take for instance this is Seymour Duncan color code, instead of green hot, it would be ground, and black hot, then I guess making the other coil split with the middle, hopefully hum cancelling....
Cusp of Magic
ive never heard of flipping magnets making it out of phase...
but reversing the lead and the ground will definitely make it out of phase. thats the only way i know of making it out of phase.
a humbucker bucks hum by reversing polaritys on each bobbin
Quote by xadioriderx
ive never heard of flipping magnets making it out of phase...
but reversing the lead and the ground will definitely make it out of phase. thats the only way i know of making it out of phase.
a humbucker bucks hum by reversing polaritys on each bobbin

This, just reverse the wires, the thing about reverse wound single coils is just to make it easier to hook up, and some other stuff that I can't think of atm cause I'm tired.

I've reversed the first coil on my humbucker to make it out of phase with the reverse wound single coil, and it worked, was pretty cool.
but he doesnt want out of phase, he wants hum cancelling.
if you reverse the wires, you will put it out of phase. youre welcome to try it, ive done it, but it wont cancel hum. or it may but thats because it also cancels most of your sound.
you need it reverse wound and polarity, not just reversed phase. thats why flipping your single coil upside down will do it, that reverse the way its wound and flips polarity. of course then you just have an upside down single coil which wont work. im gonna say youre out of luck with it
^ Not really, at least I don't think. It doesn't make sense that flipping a pickup would do anything, it's the direction that the electricity travels, in relation to the windings, not the way the pickup is pointing, that reverses the polarity.

Plus, strat pickups usually only fit in your guitar one way, since that have that angled base plate.
nono, i dont mean flipping it around, i mean literally upside down not only as a joke, but as a concept, that is what makes a humbucker a humbucker. the middle SC on a strat is reverse wound and reverse polarity so positions 2 and 4 buck the hum.

concept wise when you look at the middle SC on the strat you are looking at the bottom of the neck SC on the same strat. of course its just built that way. if its not built that way it doesnt buck hum.
I fixed it.
I swapped the hot and ground wires on all 3 pickups.
How this worked, I have no clue, but now here's the thing.
In positions 2 and 4 which are now hum cancelling, it's the middle pickup and an OUTER coil on either humbucker.
I think normally it's the single and inner coils, is there any disadvantage to this?
I'm kinda digging the sound somewhat...
Cusp of Magic
ohhh i see whats happened... interesting... i had 3 single coils in my head. you have switched bobbins on the humbucker, which IS flipping it upside down. because its switching between two that are reverse wound and reverse polarity from eachother. switching the wires on the middle one will put it in and out of phase, but switching them on the humbuckers will switch bobbins and polaritys and winding direction.
im sorry i didnt pick up on the fact that it was humbuckers