I'm looking at getting some Seymour Duncan pickups (probably the jazz and JB set), but prefer the look of an EMG, with it's black cover. I notice that you can buy these kind of covers to put over the pickups, but does anyone know if they'll affect the sound? There are some available with holes in them (like the pickups on a Les Paul). But the holes are only for one coil, so I'm not sure if that's really any good.

Anyone have any ideas, or know if the covers will change the sound?
Covers don't change the sound. The magnets put off a field and will still pick up your strings vibrations. They are mostly for looks.
From what I understand, the covers will reduce the output slightly. Other than that, I don't really see how it would change the sound that much.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
From my understanding they don't affect tone or output. I've messed with covers some before and never noticed any difference.
Ok Cool. So it shouldn't make a difference whether I get ones with holes or not then. If the covers are made of metal, will that interfere with the magnets?
It shoudn't.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Metal covers will not interfere with anything unless it's grounded, which will reduce the highs a tiny bit. But just putting them on the pickups won't have any effect on the sound
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!