Hey guys, I've been saving up and finally have enough to buy my first Fender Strat. I don't know much about the different models (American Standard vs American Deluxe, etc.) so I was wondering if any of you could give me reccomendations on what is the best value if I'm a intermediate/advanced player and enjoy the style of John Frusciante.

I also found a used 1998 american standard for $800 and am wondering if that would be a good deal over getting a new one for $1100.

Thanks for your input!
I would recommend you check out G&L Legacies before you buy a strat. G&L is Leo Fender's company after he sold Fender. Much better instruments at much better prices in my opinion.
used is usually a better deal. the american standard is probably your best bet for the sound you want.
Quote by katalyzt13
I would recommend you check out G&L Legacies before you buy a strat. G&L is Leo Fender's company after he sold Fender. Much better instruments at much better prices in my opinion.

Good luck finding one for $800, though. At that price, you've barely scratched the surface of the Tribute Series.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Am Deluxe has noiseless pickups, S-1 switching, locking tuners, straplocks as standard. The wood looks a little nicer to me, and some of the finishes look better. The compound radius neck is really comfortable and a big improvement on the Am Std.

Having owned an MIM Strat, an MIM Tele, a USA Strat and a USA Deluxe Tele I can honestly say that the deluxe is definitely that bit better than the USA standard and is definitely worth the extra money (which isn't that much compared to the MIM/MIA std gap)
Chances are you could find a strat for a couple hundred bucks cheaper, if you're willing to search more. I got my strat (an american standard) for $500 through craigslist, which is in my opinion the best way to go if you're looking for quality gear for rock bottom prices.