When I record with reaper, every time I record a track, it makes and saves a file in whatever folder the reaper file is in. Even if I delete the track because of a mistake or whatever, the file still stays in the folder. As a result, I wind up with hundreds of redundant track files just sitting on my computer.

Is there any way to make it so when you record with reaper it just keeps all your tracks and everything as one big file, or if you delete a track within reaper it will also delete the track that it saved on your computer?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I may be wrong, but I use Reaper and I haven't noticed this. Maybe you have something off in some of your settings? Sorry, I don't know exactly where to go or exactly what to look at.
Yea ive tried looking through the settings but i havent seen anything. Its the most annoying feature in the world. Idk why its doing it.

It makes a wav file wherever the main saved file is and it makes a wave sound file. so everytime i record something, whether or not I keep the track, it makes two files.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Aug 25, 2011,
no man when you record a track and you don't want to keep the take, HIGHLIGHT the track usually called 1-2353456345 or something then press Delete it won't save.

also when you create a new project uncheck the box that says "move all media into project directory" if you don't want REAPER to move the files NOTE: that if you uncheck this box then there is a default recording path that it will go to, usually not ideal for organization.

Check out http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20 for more detailed info
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 Tony Iommi Signature SG
'66 Harmony Bobkat
Quote by abitofinger
no man when you record a track and you don't want to keep the take, HIGHLIGHT the track usually called 1-2353456345 or something then press Delete it won't save.

also when you create a new project uncheck the box that says "move all media into project directory" if you don't want REAPER to move the files NOTE: that if you uncheck this box then there is a default recording path that it will go to, usually not ideal for organization.

Check out http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20 for more detailed info

When I create a new project no check boxes or anything pop up, it just opens a fresh page. I went to File->Project Settings, but there wasnt a check box under any of the tabs that read what you said. Is it under a different location?

EDIT: I found the check box "Copy All media to project directory" when you do a 'save as'. It was unchecked when I saved, but whenever I make a track it still creates a copy of the track. wtf
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Aug 25, 2011,
it does this because each take you choose to save (you know after you record and it says save or delete the take) has to be saved as a Raw WAV file in order to be processed.
so keep this in mind when recording that all of those WAVs arent being stored in the Reaper Project file but are actual WAV files

your going to need to clean those files out from time to time, but be careful not to delete WAVs being used by projects

the easiest way is to simply rename the takes you want to keep and delete everything else
I found this very annoying too and 1 one of the thign that make me not like reaper so much.
weird man...You may have an outdated version of the program. I'd go to the official reaper forums for this one its beyond me!
'66 Harmony Bobkat
Well...

1. Dedicate a new folder for each project

2. From project settings (Alt + Enter), assign that folder for all the media files

3. Use "File > Clean current project directory... " from time to time.
(Deletes unused files)

4. ?????

5. Profit!
Quote by abitofinger
weird man...You may have an outdated version of the program. I'd go to the official reaper forums for this one its beyond me!

You're not getting his problem. What he wants is that when he HAS saved a track after recorded it, but deletes it after that in Reaper, the files don't get deleted in Windows.
^ OIC, guess I read that wrong, go to the REAPER forums and go to the issues section and post that you would like to see a "File Cleanup" function in future releases.
'66 Harmony Bobkat
Quote by abitofinger
^ OIC, guess I read that wrong, go to the REAPER forums and go to the issues section and post that you would like to see a "File Cleanup" function in future releases.

There is one, and I have posted it here.