Is it possible to have only 1 Pick up, being the bridge pick up on a 6 string bass? every 6 string I've seen has 2 pick ups, one passive and one active, bridge and neck. But, i don't like active pick ups and was considering getting a 6 stringer, preferably Ibanez. I just wanted to know if i could special order a one pick up 6 string from them or if any other guitar company may already have a model like that, and if it is or isn't possible to have 1 pick up on a 6 and why if not.
They do that for tonal variation. What you can do since you're not an active pup person (neither am I) you can convert your bass to passive with a pick up swap and wiring. Don't forget to grab passive pups. kill the volume on the neck pup.

EDIT:
The Peavey grind 6 banger has passive pups.
http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Grind-Bass-BXP-NTB/dp/B001R2LWJ8

Also if you have the cash check out Carvin.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 25, 2011,
If Ibanez doesn't have what you're looking for, you'll have to look elsewhere. Their custom shop is only open for artists, or if you slip them an obscene amount of money.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
First thing, I love the Banana man you got as you Avatar lol, and second, that vid of yours is good, the guitar seems out of tune by a bit tho. Also i need a more technical response, like how one pick up would affect tone or why they only make them with 2. Not trying to make you feel bad, i appreciate any help i can get.
Quote by ThrashMetalMan1
First thing, I love the Banana man you got as you Avatar lol, and second, that vid of yours is good, the guitar seems out of tune by a bit tho. Also i need a more technical response, like how one pick up would affect tone or why they only make them with 2. Not trying to make you feel bad, i appreciate any help i can get.

i think thats for me..thanks for watching the vid and
yeah i detuned the guitar to something its not used ot being in
C# G# F# E# G# D#

anyway the reason they do that is so that they have more choice in tone the way most guitars have more than one pick up
if you dont like actives what you can do is change them to passive pick ups and just not use the neck pick up
One pickup is less common because unless you're looking for that Music Man sweet spot or traditional P bass vibe, why not have two pickups? If you want to solo the neck or the bridge pickup you can just turn the volume down on the pup you don't want (or pan to whichever one you do want if you have a blend pot).

As for actual basses, I know Modulus offers the option of one pickup in the sweet spot on their Quantum basses, so you could do a Q6 with just one pickup if you're willing to shell out a hell of a lot of money.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by ThrashMetalMan1
every 6 string I've seen has 2 pick ups, one passive and one active, bridge and neck.

que?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
It worked for John Myung of Dream Theater:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by gilly_90
Quote by thrashmetalman
every 6 string I've seen has 2 pick ups, one passive and one active, bridge and neck.
que?

Yeah, I was going to question that as well.

Just to clear things up -

Unless the pickups you have seen are EMGs (or MECs) there is a good chance that none of them are 'active'. There is a strong possibility that it has an active preamp, but many of them can be bypassed.

I am also certain that a 6 string with one active, and one passive pickup doesn't exist (at least, no production models do).
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!