Hi guys, i need opinions.

Basically here's the story, The headstock on my RG has a crack in it, the guitar is at the store right now so i cant show you a pic. Currently it is still just a bit bigger than hairline. I just got a quote from a luthier which basically everyone uses where i am (Perth, Australia). He told me that it will cost me 200 bux, to open up the crack more so he can glue it together, but if that procedure cracks the headstock paint, itll cost 160extra. add on to that, set-ups etc, another 100.

so thats basically 300 or 460 im spending on that particular guitar. Should i go through with it, or should i just leave it as it is and save up some more of that money to get a new guitar ? im thinking il save up another 3/400 which will equal around 800 which was the price i got the guitar for.
Sounds like it is your call. I would say cut your losses and put the money you would spend on it towards a new guitar, especially if the guitar holds a lot of sentimental value to you.

On the other hand, you could go through with it if you really wanted to. If everything goes fine, you have your guitar back and a better relationship with said luthier which could come in handy in the future assuming the luthier is a nice person.

I personally would just go with the first option, play the guitar till it is toast and buy a new one. Who knows, maybe the crack wont get any worse. This is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
True.. it sucks because i was actually thinking about selling the guitar because i don't want a floating trem anymore then this happens, and now i have no idea what to do. The only sentimental thing i have with this guitar is that it was the first thing i bought with my own money. Would you have any idea on how much of a price drop that is in terms of sale value ?
Honestly no. The best thing you can do is just do a really good deal on it and let the buyer know before hand. Hopefully the deal will offset the potential risk. I say potential because it may never get bigger. You honestly never know.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
I thought because it is constantly under pressure it will definitely get bigger ? no ?
That would be the best assumption, but you still never know. Maybe I'm just too optimistic. Haha
Quote by smirnoff_black
i am 99% sure that is a bolt-on guitar but am not positive, i just picked up my first ibby (3550MZ), so i dont' know a ton about them.

Why not buy a used neck off of ebay and swap necks?

i have known one or two people to crack a headstock (i think one tele and one strat), and i know that one of them bought a new neck, and just bolted it right in.

check measurements carefully though.

its not nearly as scary as you may think.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah its a bolt-on neck. Just looked through ebay and its about 200 without shipping fees, so thats pretty much the same cost anyway. Thought about it, and decide that might as well go for a new guitar. This has put me off ibanez and second hand guitars though, which probably should not happen, but bad experience does that to my brain lol.
Don't let it put you off to second hand guitars now. There are good deals to be had!
Quote by smirnoff_black
you wont find the right neck for that guitar on ebay tbh.

Get it repaired and then sell it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
you wont find the right neck for that guitar on ebay tbh.

Get it repaired and then keep it.

Fix'd

Getting it repaired and then trying to sell it is nowhere near worth it.

I wouldn't even get it repaired, honestly. I'd keep playing it and check the headstock to see if it gets any bigger from time to time. If it does, it's honestly a really simple fix (assuming it's a clean crack/split) that just requires some titebond, C clams, and probably a syringe to inject the titebond with.
Well yeah I would never sell a 3120, but if he bought it for 800 and its a 200 fix, that guitar should be worth way way more than 1000 in AUS.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ 3120's usually go for around $1500 in VGC, so if its had a crack repaired, around $1000 would be about as much as you could get for it really.
The crack is on the back of the headstock and runs from the high e tuning peg, through to the first bolt of the locl.. i dont even know if that's the right explanation but i'll post pictures as soon as i get it back
I can't believe you are going to pay someone 200aus to open the crack, fill it with glue, and clamp it for a day. You can do that yourself, a little sanding after, spray on some poly and you're done. Even if you had to buy the tools and materials, it would only cost a small fraction of what he's charging.
It sounds like a pretty simple crack from your description, you could fix that no problem with less than $60 USD in equipment.

Syringe - $5
Glue - $5
Various Clamps (depends exactly where the crack's at and how it broke) - $30
Sanding and Scraping - $10
Toothpicks and random tidbits - $10

Guitars break and shit happens, don't rag the brand and used guitars because of this
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Well i have done some research before i bought it and these goes for about 650-750 in the US which was quite shocking to me.. anyway its discontinued...

well the guitar is about 9 yrs old if im not mistaken(from the serial) and have wears and tears, paint chips.. no back cover.. so its basically quite a beaten up guitar, im not even sure anyone would pay past 400/500 for this guitar though.. so that's why even though im not fixing it, i probably would still keep it for sentimental reasons being the first decent guitar i bought..

but where to go really from an ibanez prestige? i recently have to practice with my pacifica 112j and as good a starter guitar that is.. i only just realised that the quality is miles apart (used to think it wasnt that different) kinda makes me wonder what else is out there and how much would i be looking to spend for a replacement
Do you think i should let it open up first and then repair it then ? since thats what the luthier said he was gonna do anyway ? and for the people who said i should do it myself...

Ill be honest.. i have too many bad experiences trying to fix stuff by myself, blew up a computer, a playstation, chairs, tables, doors, showerheads, cars, etc.. call my spoiled but im seriously not cut-out for that stuff.. dont have the attention span and very impatient

EDIT:
just got my guitar back from the shop and here's a picture of the crack.. doesnt look like much (thicker than hairline) but im told its going to open up a lot and isn't that a bit of a tricky spot because its right on top of the screw for the nut

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by Limakontol at Sep 2, 2011,
Even if he fixes it, it might get cracked again, and if that happened for no good reason your wood might be weak for some reason (old/dry/you left it in the rain or something like that) and it'll crack again.
So anyone I would suggest you to fix it yourself, read a lot before and ask experienced people for advice, don't rush into it. Then if somethings happens some day buy a new guitar. Unless your really like this guitar and don't have an interest in other guitars.

Oh I just saw the picture and it really doesn't look deep, try to insert a paper or something thin into it, it it's not deeper than like 2 milimeters I don't think that matters.
Last edited by gnr_tb at Sep 2, 2011,
Ok thats settled then.. im gonna keep playing it until it cracks open more.. i probably will buy a new guitar anyway in the next few months or so.. looking for a fixed bridge guitar.. Thanks for everyone who has given their two cents.. very much appreciated
I'm pretty sure that crack will open the more you play it, it looks like it started at the screw for the B-string tuner and followed down the grain. It's not going across grain and none of the fibers are chewed up. It didn't split into two separate pieces so you don't have to align anything correctly. Syringe in some glue, clamp it shut. It's literally that easy in this case because of the simple crack. You can do this yourself no problem, even without any prior woodworking/repair knowledge. Trust me it could've been a lot worse

What you might want to do is play it awhile and let that crack get a little bigger, at least to the point you can syringe in some glue a little easier. Right now it's pretty tight and would take a steady and patient hand to get the glue throughout the crack. Is it possible to tell how deep it is right now?

The glue-filled joint will actually be stronger than the surrounding wood. You can try this yourself by gluing two pieces of wood together, then breaking them after the glue has set up. You'll notice the break doesn't occur in the joint.

Also don't stick anything into the crack, It'll just act like a wedge and cause it to split further over time unless you drill small hole at the very end of the crack. Which I'm assuming you wouldn't want to do (or anyone else for that matter, including myself)
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]