This guy on my local classifieds is selling an Epiphone SG for $100. Could someone who knows these guitars better than myself tell me if you think it's legit? On one hand, he might just not know what he has, or he just wants to get rid of it fast. OTOH, it could just be a fake. I realise the picture quality isn't great, but please just do the best you can.

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-epiphone-electric-guitar-4-sale-W0QQAdIdZ306579630
Bass

Fender Aerodyne P-Bass Special (CIJ)
Yorkville 400B head and Eden 2x10 Cab

Guitar
Godin SDxt with rare lacewood top
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live
Looks like an SG Special to me, not worth much more than that new, and I would pass on it personally. These are the lowest end Epi's around and, as you can see from the back picture, go so far as to have a bolt on neck as opposed to a set neck as the SG should have.

That said, if it is local and you want the body style you could try playing on it and seeing if it performs to your desire - but don't get your hopes up and don't take it thinking it just needs a setup if it doesn't play great. Odds are it's being dumped because a setup did NOT fix it.

If you are set on getting an SG you could shop for an Epi G400. You will pay more, new or used, but despite also being made in China they have the correct neck joint and some of them (NOT ALL) are good players. They are also mahogany as they should be, and the few I've seen/heard/played all sounded rather good - they are just hit and miss on the craftsmanship particularly on the fretboard.
Last edited by AJDrac at Aug 25, 2011,
Nah it's a sg special, bolt on with dot inlays, an entry level guitar. It goes for about $170 new so that's a fair price. Definately legit.
DAS BOOT!!!
Epiphone sg specials go for what 300 new? [Not in US, don't know for sure]
I don't think it's a fake...

muledit: Wow cheaper than I thought
RIP Gooze

cats
Oh, I had no idea they were that cheap. I thought everything around $100 in value was some chinese strat copy. I'm not a big fan of the SG body anyway, the price just struck me as unusually low.

Thanks for the help though
Bass

Fender Aerodyne P-Bass Special (CIJ)
Yorkville 400B head and Eden 2x10 Cab

Guitar
Godin SDxt with rare lacewood top
Peavey Studio Pro 40
Line 6 POD xt live