Is there a tone difference? I love the sound of the fender blues jr and I'm about to buy one but I noticed a used hot rod deville at about the same price. Isn't the blues jr part of the "hot rod" series? 15 watts is enough but 40 0r 60 might be enough to drown out the Stinkin' Fart coverband across the hall!
I think you get 2 channels and a boost with the hot rod. If it's around the same price, get it!
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
there is a big tone and flexibility difference. drive channel isn't the greatest "tube" overdrive there could be. if you want to crank the clean channel, it'll be a lot louder than the blues jr since the deville doesn't have a master volume.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I love BJ's especially from hot women.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
the last person who asked this question raged at people who told him they are not the same

but they aren't the same, and they don't sound all that similar either. or particularly fender-like.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I think they do sound close at their 'sweet spot' with the deville set to clean. Unfortunately that sweet spot on the deville is louder than even a gigging volume so its just not reasonable to use. The deville can sound great, but its just more difficult to get it there. The BJr's sweet spot is pretty much right at its gigging volume so its easy to get it to sound great.

Get the BJ, throw a new speaker and new tubes in there.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks for the info! I do play clean about half the time, will the bj keep up with drums while staying somewhat clean?