So, rather than joining another forum I decided to come here with my next question. So I'm assuming you guys know enough about musical equipment to help me out. So I am not a pianist, but I am taking AP theory and figure that it would be an extremely useful tool for it. Also my band could use another instrument, so I am really looking for something beyond a cheapo plastic practice keyboard. I want to get something that is sturdy, decently priced, can run outs to a PA, has decent array of voicings and adjustability for working on a variety of music. I don't know a lot about keyboards, but what I am looking at now is the http:// , the Casio CTK - 6000

So let me know if I am making a bad choice, it is about the price range I am in 200-300 ish. Let me know if I should step up to maybe 7000 or what not. If you would go for a different keyboard, anything that you notice about this keyboard or anything and any pitfalls I should know about

anyways, thanks a lot, you guys always help me out better than anyone or any resource

EDIT: Reading more about the Casio I am not sure that I want to buy it, please recommend anything that you think I would like, I am mostly looking to buy something that will live through gigs and run out of a speaker, also has to have good voicings.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Aug 25, 2011,
Avoid those multi function ones, they can be very very very friken very very very confusing to use. Get something simple, with your basic chords, and strings effects, it works great for any live situation.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/yamaha-np30-76-key-mid-level-piaggero-ultra-portable-digital-piano
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Aug 25, 2011,
Thanks, please recommend anything, I really know nothing about keyboards, what is this i heard about sound banks for different sounds, is there a website that explains all the different things that they can do? like all the options I have with them, anyways thanks please recommend anything
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Also, I am looking for something to gig and play in a band with, I am looking for options on it and want it to be very sturdy, I'll bump budget up to $600
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
I recently bought a keyboard - a Casio Privia 330 - and did a lot of research and tried out quite a few models until I finally decided on the Casio. It's $700, though I was able to get it at 600 (without tax...) It had just what I wanted: Solid sounds, great action, 88 keys. easy to use (and access other sounds quickly), and it's pretty lightweight (like 25 pounds, but it's kinda big too).

That's what they'd call a "digital piano." And that's really what it is, it's got a piano like action and the instruments are pretty standard. If you're looking for something more synth like, there's the Yamaha MM6 and the Roland Juno Di. Both of those have "synth" actions, which is great for solo-y synth stuff but not the best for piano playing.

It all depends on what you're looking for, really. Some of the cheaper options aren't too bad, but I mean you get what you pay for You more you can spend the better your options are. Good luck, man
Quote by Morgant
I recently bought a keyboard - a Casio Privia 330 - and did a lot of research and tried out quite a few models until I finally decided on the Casio. It's $700, though I was able to get it at 600 (without tax...) It had just what I wanted: Solid sounds, great action, 88 keys. easy to use (and access other sounds quickly), and it's pretty lightweight (like 25 pounds, but it's kinda big too).

That's what they'd call a "digital piano." And that's really what it is, it's got a piano like action and the instruments are pretty standard. If you're looking for something more synth like, there's the Yamaha MM6 and the Roland Juno Di. Both of those have "synth" actions, which is great for solo-y synth stuff but not the best for piano playing.

It all depends on what you're looking for, really. Some of the cheaper options aren't too bad, but I mean you get what you pay for You more you can spend the better your options are. Good luck, man

Thanks, I'll look into all of those, please keep recommending stuff I'll link some music below which is more what I think I will be looking to use it for just because idk exactly what 'synth' and 'digital pianos' would be used for and either generally let me know if I should go for a synth or piano or anything else, I guess there is just so many options on MF and GC I'm sort of confused, anyway, thanks so far.

Morning Teleportation - Expanding Anyway
Modest Mouse- Ocean Breathes Salty
MGMT - Electric Feel
MGMT - Of Moons Birds and Monsters

After listening to these I am guessing that it is mostly synth stuff?? I could be wrong like I said idk anything about keyboards

Also does anyone know about the sound bank ones, like the keyboards that you can get and then you use a seperate sound bank and you can get a lot of different stuff....idk maybe I am just dreaming about this but I swear I heard about those, any info you have would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Aug 26, 2011,
I have the yamaha ypg-235 and it has so many different sounds. It came in a bundle with a stand, headphones, and a power adapter, all for $250 on amazon.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by 801Current
Thanks, I'll look into all of those, please keep recommending stuff I'll link some music below which is more what I think I will be looking to use it for just because idk exactly what 'synth' and 'digital pianos' would be used for and either generally let me know if I should go for a synth or piano or anything else, I guess there is just so many options on MF and GC I'm sort of confused, anyway, thanks so far.

there are many varieties of 'keyboards'. most digital devices that you will buy as a 'keyboard' will have standard piano, polyphonic synths (synths that play multiple notes at ones), monophonic synths (synths that play one note at a time), electric piano, organ, percussion, sound effects, clavinet, harpsichord, horns, etc.

you can buy more serious dedicated machines like a moog little phatty (monophonic synth), or a rhodes electric piano for example but that is not really necessary.

the modest mouse song is like organ.

Quote by 801Current
Also does anyone know about the sound bank ones, like the keyboards that you can get and then you use a seperate sound bank and you can get a lot of different stuff....idk maybe I am just dreaming about this but I swear I heard about those, any info you have would be greatly appreciated, thanks

i have something similar to this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/yamaha-psr-e413-61-key-portable-keyboard

has a tone of 'banks' and 'patches' does a ton of instruments. it's pretty good and plenty affordable.

i also use a 'midi' keyboard to interface with software. i got a cheap one cuz i don't use it too often

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/behringer-u-control-uma25s-usb-midi-controller

i have logic and it has a ton of keyboard instruments in that software and i use this to control it.

if you get the yamaha it'll put you on the map for sounds, you'll be able to tell what a organ is from a harpsichord, etc. if you wanna go the software route then a midi keyboard is even more flexible.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Okay, I went to guitar center to look at a few, and I am now leaning on this. Roland Keyboard

It's a bit more pricey than what I was previously looking at, but just fooling around with it, it was really easy to use, had everything I was looking for, a extremely wide array of sounds. It was fairly sturdy, I liked the weight of the keyboard.

So with that said please recommend anything you think I should consider, maybe the same style as that or totally different, also reviews of the linked keyboard would be great. Originally I was mostly looking for something not very serious, just for my band to get by on for a bit, but I realized I would rather step it up considering the rate which my mates are wanting to move at I don't want to have to upgrade in a year.

With that said, please keep replying, thanks for the help thus far
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Aug 29, 2011,
IMO the most importiant thing other than sound is that you would want the keys to be weighted. i have a 'digital piano' from the late 90's, cost my parents $2k at the time. it has full midi everything and was top notch at the time, and still functional now, i could plug it into some form of software for all of the different sounds.

but if you are looking to do anything serious weighted keys are a must IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/