I live about 12 miles from WVU in Morgantown WV. I read through here, but I've tried craigslist (it's a joke, no one is serious), I don't know a lot of people up there who know about the music scene, and I haven't been in an active band outside of the Baltimore/DC area.

I'm just curious as to where you all have found bandmates at. I'm having no luck at all. It's a bit frustrating. I've got riffs and some leads, but my way of writing has the whole band have a go. I like to get input on stuff and that sort of thing. So I can't really take stuff much further on my own. I'm no stranger to being in a band, but I haven't done it in 5 years. I want to get back into it. We were working on a demo cd before my last band split. I'd love to finally finish it and see what happens. I'm realistic though. I figure even if I can make music a part of my life, I'll have to have another part time job. But I won't have to kill myself 40 hours a week and destroy my body though. If I could do something like that, I'd be happy. I don't care how crappy my house is or that I have to eat hot dogs and ramen all the time. I just want to be happy.
My friend is my guitarist, my brother is my bassist, and me and that friend put out a Craigslist ad and luckily found our drummer first try.
On the internet initially, but it's gotten to the point where I know a lot of musicians around the scene, and will go for one of them first if I need a musician.

Actually recently a battle of the bands provided a great place to meet other musos. Just get out there and ask around.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
My best friend is the keyboardist, our singer is a guy I knew from another band, our drummer is someone we found online. I'm the guitarist, we still need a bass player.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
I joined my current band after I saw an article in the local rag, pretty much how we found our drummer too although I did kind of know him from open mic nights.

Apparently the response to the newspaper ad wasn't immense, 3 people (including myself) asked about being the bassist and only one guy came forward as a drummer.
Last edited by JustPhil at Aug 26, 2011,
Go out to some shows and open mic nights.

Those are the people that are serious about music, as in they are already out and doing so. I don't know a musician that wouldn't be down to jam if they got asked.
Well the 2 bands I have are with mostly the same people. My best friend is the vocalist in one, and my other good friend is the singer in the other one, and I met his friends, who are really great people, and they became bandmates in both of the bands.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
i met my bassist at primary school
guitarist at secondry school
and my vocalist at explorers
My current bassist is my former bassist's brother. The keyboardist, I met at a party, we started talking about music, and got together to jam. He brought in the drummer from another band. One of our vocalists jammed with me and my former bassist a few times about five years ago.

And that's the way we became the Brady Bunch.
Still in the process of finding a singer, but my brother is the drummer, and his best friend is the bassist
I met one of my guitar players in elementary school.
Met the other one in Jr. High.
And my drummer is the brother of the second guitar player.
I went to school with my drummer. Not really was friends with him but heard he played drums so thought we'd give a jam session a go (we were 12). After the first jam sesh we thought we would start a band and then we were a duo for 3 years, and could never find a bass player. We found a guitarist on craigslist our age who is in the same local scene as us but after a few shows he told us he wasn't into the music we were playing. he was into classical and jazz and we are alternative & punk (it is all originals, btw).

Finally, last year we found our bassist. He has been going to school with me all along and just started playing bass for about a year. Again, he was never really my friend and we never talked (didnt really know eachother) but heard he started to play bass. He is really good though and would never replace any of them two.
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
I feel you, mate. I take my music very seriously, and I'm with you 100% on not wanting a 40-hour-per-week job, regardless of what that may mean for my living conditions (hell, I grew up poor anyway.)

My little brother (16) plays rhythm guitar, his girlfriend (15) plays bass, and his best friend (16) plays drums. I sing and play lead guitar (I'm 19.) They're all very good at what they do, but they do lack a certain level of professionalism and commitment because they're so young.

It's important to note that, while close friends may seem like the best band mates you could ask for, they aren't always the best option if you have different levels of motivation/commitment or have different goals in music.

The best place to find possible band mates is probably at local shows. Anyone playing a real show is likely serious about music. I suggest just going to local shows, perhaps do some open mics if you can sing and play guitar, and just put yourself out there as a musician who's interested in joining/forming a band.

Good luck to you, mate.
I met all my band mates in high school. We had a band for about 3 years from my sophomore year to the summer after my senior year, broke up then we started tossing around the idea of playing again during our 10th year reunion. Turns out we all lived within 25 miles of each other and didn't know.
Well, my main band is just me at the moment, so that won't work for this, but my band which just broke up (Llucas and the Llamas, broke up because we're all off to college in different corners of the US), was formed from a group of pretty close friends from school, for the sole purpose of rickrolling our school (I know, stupid, but it was fun). Because we were picking from our friends, we went through 3 bassists in a matter of months - it's hard to find someone who's serious about their instrument if you don't look outside of your group of friends, usually.
Seen the band live 3 or 4 times before. they impressed me, 2 weeks later heard from a freind who went to join they needed a guitarist so i joined :P
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
There is a place up there that does an open mic thing. I can sing, but I'm not not too keen on it. I've thought about just taking a guitar and amp up there and just doing some kind of crazy stuff. That would at least get people talking I guess. And it worked once before.

Two of my other bandmates were real good friends. We all grew up together. I actually found our singer by going out to this bar that did open mics. I was frustrated about not being able to find a singer, so I figured that people would talk. So I just went up, played a bunch of stuff, then went to the bar. Not too long after I started talking to someone who became the singer until we split.

I'm not the kind of guy who really likes going crazy with shredding. But maybe that will get some people interested. Maybe someone will see I'm actually serious about playing. And that place has a bar, which is a plus too.