First off for not knowing about this already, and secondly for being too stupid to use the search bar effectively. I'm sure the answer to my question is on the forum somewhere.
http://www.use.com/4175c83048685018c2c2#photo=8
It's a 200 watt amp with a 75 and 60 watt speaker. Shouldn't that create some kind of problem? I'm mostly just curious...
It should. I'm more confused at the fact that someone would upgrade the speakers in the Raven at all...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
you could run it like that I suppose at low volumes without risk - but why risk it?

plus, you wont reall be able to tell how loud is "too loud" until the amp fries. it's kinda like sticking your hand in a hole knowing there is a snake inside. you can stick your hand part of the way down and probably won't bother him, but too far and he'll bite. but it is too dark to tell how deep the hole is. so just don't ut your hand down there bro...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
my 120w fender twin has like 90w of speakers in it and i;ve never had an issue since i dont play loud.

i bought it like that though, i'd never install something like that myself.
mojostompboxes.com
Speakers are conservatively rated, so with 90w of speaker in a 120w amp I wouldn't be too worried.

120w (60w x2) of speaker in a 200w amp? That's pretty worrisome, never mind the fact that he wasted the money upgrading the speakers in a freaking Raven.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
People see numbers printed on things and start saying things that aren't always true.

As Raijouta said, speakers are conservatively rated (often times very conservatively). On average, a speaker can handle about 1 1/2x its rating (some speakers can handle more, some not quite as much). Also, the 200 watt rating on the head is RMS - the amp can peak at well above 200 watts.

All in all, the person who did this probably didn't know what he/she was doing. But it can be safely used at lower volumes.

I've seen boutique builders put 15 watt speakers in 30 watt 1x12 combos just for the break up properties of the speaker.
Besides, the Raven sucks. I've played several of those amps. Why anyone would put those awesome speakers in that P.O.S is beyond me. It might make it less of a piece of shit but you know what they say....you can't polish a turd.

Also, I'm not super familiar with that website but I don't even see any descriptions - just pictures (ie - I wouldn't buy from a site like that)

Edit: or wait....were you just curious about the watts thing?

If you want real amp help then use this as a guide and start over:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 26, 2011,
What a waste of good speakers.......
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What a waste of good speakers.......

+1

Wtf is a raven amp?

chances are, youre never going to be pushing 200 watts through it.

ive heard the 25 watt greenbacks can handle 50 watts.
I was just curious, but I actually like Raven speakers. The stock speakers are absolutely horrible though. I have a 60 watt. It takes pedals incredibly well, and I like the distortion it gives. It's not warm at all, it's edgy and harsh. I could understand why people wouldn't like it, but I do.

EDIT: I like Raven amps, not Raven speakers.
Last edited by tas38 at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by tas38
I was just curious, but I actually like Raven speakers. The stock speakers are absolutely horrible though. I have a 60 watt. It takes pedals incredibly well, and I like the distortion it gives. It's not warm at all, it's edgy and harsh. I could understand why people wouldn't like it, but I do.

EDIT: I like Raven amps, not Raven speakers.

To each his own I guess.

I still think that was a horrible thing to do to those unsuspecting speakers.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tas38
I was just curious, but I actually like Raven speakers. The stock speakers are absolutely horrible though.

LOL! What?!
Quote by Lil'hl
I've always wondered, in this example, does the amp fry even if it is kept at lower volumes? Simple maths tell me they won't, but these things are perhaps not that simple?

when the power sent to the speakers starts to become too much you'll hear the speaker start to distort (either by over-excursion or by loss of definition).

what will happen is that the speaker will 'break'. it could break by over-excursion and actually tear the surround of the speaker or some other part of the suspension) or by sending too much current through the voice coil and melting the wires in the voice coil into a useless hunk (which is more likely to happen than over excursion).

the amp itself seems to be solid state, so the amp should be fine even if you 'melt' the speakers. but since the speakers in the amp are worth more than the amp itself it would be financially beneficial to not damage the speakers.

speakers are rated fairly conservatively, but that when you play the speakers for sustained periods of time that conservative rating starts to mean less and less. if you are only playing for shorter periods of time at reasonable sound levels then i wouldn't worry about it too much. if you plan on using the amp for gigs then i'd worry much more.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 26, 2011,
Isn't raven a GC owned brand??
HILT!

Where's Waldo?