After having to sell my SG, I'm looking into getting a guitar with the 24 3/4" scale length and active pickups. Being left handed is really limiting me. I don't want to spend 1200 on an SG again and then put 200 worth of pickups in. So I've narrowed it to either an LTD EC1000 or a Schecter Solo 6 (in either Hellraiser or Hellraiser special). I've got two good guitars now, a Washburn x-50 Pro with dual 85s and an '87 RG560. I'm trying to get back into playing live and my live rig has never had less than 3 guitars, plus the RG has an Edge trem, so I want a third.

So out of those two which do you all like? I'm not loyal to any brand for the record. I play anything that's good. I've never owned either brand, so any real world experience would be invaluable to me. BTW, how do the 81TW/89 pickups sound? I've never used those.
I would go with the Schecter. The Washburn is good not as nice as the Schecter. I am not a fan of LTD guitars because it is the lesser brand of ESP. Not the same quality as ESP. My son has an LTD and he has nothing but headaches with it. I could never suggest you spend your hard earned dollar on a Squier or Epiphone. You'd want a Fender or Gibson or in the case of LTD an ESP.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
Last edited by Picksqueal72 at Aug 26, 2011,
I love the 81tw/89 on my c-1 hellraiser they have a wide array of tones with the coil tap options on both pickups. I never played the Ltd but I love my Schecter great guitar for the money. It to me has a fast neck, great higher fret access, the locking tuners help stay in tune longer, the neck is not to big but not to small either.
Personally I'd go with an EC 1000, provided it's one of the EC's that isn't gaudy as hell.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I love my ec1000. I think it plays loud and smooth. Neck feels great. The 60 is a pretty sweet pickup too. It feels good in your hands. Even though its ltd, its still a high quality guitar. Ive heard people say they prefer their deluxe ltds when compared to their esp standard.

Of course I suggest try before you buy. Duh.
Quote by Picksqueal72
I would go with the Schecter. The Washburn is good not as nice as the Schecter. I am not a fan of LTD guitars because it is the lesser brand of ESP. Not the same quality as ESP. My son has an LTD and he has nothing but headaches with it. I could never suggest you spend your hard earned dollar on a Squier or Epiphone. You'd want a Fender or Gibson or in the case of LTD an ESP.

Schecter is owned by ESP. just sayin. also LTD and Schecters highest end models are in the exact same range.

personally I find LTD's to be higher quality, with more consistent build quality, and better looking (though that's obviously preferential.)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Fenderexpx50
After having to sell my SG, I'm looking into getting a guitar with the 24 3/4" scale length and active pickups. Being left handed is really limiting me. I don't want to spend 1200 on an SG again and then put 200 worth of pickups in. So I've narrowed it to either an LTD EC1000 or a Schecter Solo 6 (in either Hellraiser or Hellraiser special). I've got two good guitars now, a Washburn x-50 Pro with dual 85s and an '87 RG560. I'm trying to get back into playing live and my live rig has never had less than 3 guitars, plus the RG has an Edge trem, so I want a third.

So out of those two which do you all like? I'm not loyal to any brand for the record. I play anything that's good. I've never owned either brand, so any real world experience would be invaluable to me. BTW, how do the 81TW/89 pickups sound? I've never used those.

None of the guitars you listed have a 24.75" scale, they are 25.5".

I like the Schecter Tempest personaly, but out of the models you listed, I'd take the EC-1000
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
None of the guitars you listed have a 24.75" scale, they are 25.5".

I like the Schecter Tempest personaly, but out of the models you listed, I'd take the EC-1000

Uhh, no. I know for sure that the EC-1000 is a 24 3/4" scale lol.

I also say for for the LTD, it's a great guitar.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Quote by Blbmbr666
Uhh, no. I know for sure that the EC-1000 is a 24 3/4" scale lol.

I also say for for the LTD, it's a great guitar.

yep your right, it is 24.75", most of the LTD's I've seen aren't that scale lenght.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Picksqueal72
I would go with the Schecter. (a) The Washburn is good not as nice as the Schecter. (b) I am not a fan of LTD guitars because it is the lesser brand of ESP. Not the same quality as ESP. (c) My son has an LTD and he has nothing but headaches with it. (d) I could never suggest you spend your hard earned dollar on a Squier or Epiphone. You'd want a Fender or Gibson or in the case of LTD an ESP.

holy shit, that's a lot of fail for one paragraph

(a) any i've tried were more or less the same. In fact i generally preferred the pro series washburns to any schecters I've tried.

(b) Well, sure, but the higher-end LTDs (like the 1000 series) are pretty decent guitars. Not ESP-good, sure, but much better than (non-japanese) epiphones or most squiers.

(c) what ltd does he have? if he has one of the cheaper ones, it hardly affects the guitar in question here.

(d) not quite the same thing, though. THe best LTDs are a fair bit better than the best squiers and epis. Don't get me wrong- I'd take an ESP over a LTD any day, too.

But when you're suggesting he gets a schecter, which is also made in korea to pretty much the same standard (maybe even not as good), solely because LTD is the cheaper arm of ESP...

that doesn't make any sense, dude.

Oh, and btw- Schecter has a more expensive Japanese-made line too.

In conclusion: your entire argument is invalid, even playing by your own rules (which are pretty daft already).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Both actually are pretty similar, but the Solo 6 does have the longer scale length. I always thought I saw it with 24 3/4, but I guess I was wrong. I can't really try either out due to me being left handed and really far away from anywhere that carries one of those. Most around here are Fender or Ibanez dealers. You don't see many dealing in Schecter, ESP, or Gibson. I can understand Gibson, they want 500,000 up front to become a dealer. But I'm not sure why there isn't someone dealing in others. Maybe there's just no market.

But after reading countless reviews and from what I've learned on here, I'm thinking the EC-1000 is the way to go. I've found them for around $700. Now I've just got to decide between vintage black or that black cherry finish.