I have my 6 string Hellraiser with .10-.52 right now. The scale length is 25.5 an the highest I would go is .12 but would prefer a set .10 or .11 if possible. Also what adjustments will I have to make going to thicker strings?
I like 11-56 (or 11-58, using an ernie ball 7-string set and just dropping the 4th string or something) for Drop B w/ a 25.5 scale. No offense to you guys out there, but I've found that most UG-ers use insanely thick strings for some reason It makesa me wonder if you even do any kind of real bending.
No offense to you guys out there, but I've found that most UG-ers use insanely thick strings for some reason It makesa me wonder if you even do any kind of real bending.

The thick strings are a finger strength training exercise... for the ladies That and I was always told to use as thick a string as you can practically use because they're better for tones.
I like thinner strings ( not so thin that there like rubber bands ) honestly but my guitar has a 10mm nut I believe if that has to do with anything. I like the way my .10s feel all the way to drop c but I just need a little more tension for drop b.
11-56 or 11-58 would be perfect for you IMO. 11's are great and the 56 or 58 will be nice and tight/clear for that B.

Look at the D'Addario EXL117
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Aug 26, 2011,
That's true, although I think you just have to dial in the amp a little to adjust for the thicker strings. Personally I just use 10-52 for both drop d and drop c. Though of late I've been considering upping the thickness on the drop c. If I play too much on the nice and tight drop d, when I go back to drop c my playing feels really sloppy because of how much give the strings have. So for drop b I certainly wouldn't go any lower than an 11 (if you like loose feeling strings), or 12 (if you want taught strings).
I tried the elixer .12 set an they were just to tight/hard to press down for my liking. I'll look into those EXL117's for sure.
I wonder if I took the the three high strings from my .10 set an the lower set from the EXL117 set if that would work?