So after looking at my maple fretboard on my Strat, I noticed black gunk on there that just looks disgusting. Usually, I use some #0000 Steel Wool and rub it out on my other guitar which has a rosewood fretboard, but I'm not sure if that is safe to use on my maple fretboard. Can anybody help me with this as I'm about to change my strings and this would be the perfect time to clean it out?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
DO NOT use steel wool on a maple fretboard. The safest way to clean it is a tooth brush and some good ol fashioned elbow grease. You can get a fret protector that you can use to cover the wood so you don't scratch it when you polish the frets. You can get it here.

As for cleaning the board, I've heard lots of people using lighter fluid, or orange oil and just buff it out.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by EncoreBlade
So after looking at my maple fretboard on my Strat, I noticed black gunk on there that just looks disgusting. Usually, I use some #0000 Steel Wool and rub it out on my other guitar which has a rosewood fretboard, but I'm not sure if that is safe to use on my maple fretboard. Can anybody help me with this as I'm about to change my strings and this would be the perfect time to clean it out?

rosewood is unfinished, it is not laquered, in other words, it always breathes, rosewood you can clean with a fretboard cleaner (i use lemon oil) and maybe a little bit of #0000.

maple is laquered and you cannot use steel woll on it without removing the finish, thus allowing moisture into the wood if the finish were to be removed significantly or completely.

so sorry OP, i do not know what you should use, but posted because a while ago there was a guy on here that was asking a question about something maintence related, and didn't wait for a response to do anything, and he did what he thought would work and he damaged his guitar (IIRC it may have been permently).

so if nobody gets back to you tonight, DO NOT steel wool the fretboard of a maple neck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by stonyman65
DO NOT use steel wool on a maple fretboard. The safest way to clean it is a tooth brush and some good ol fashioned elbow grease. You can get a fret protector that you can use to cover the wood so you don't scratch it when you polish the frets. You can get it here.

As for cleaning the board, I've heard lots of people using lighter fluid, or orange oil and just buff it out.

beat me to it. i guess i took more than 4 mins to type... lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by stonyman65

Hmm...a toothbrush eh? Well I guess whatever works. Do I need to put any kind of substance onto the toothbrush or do I just take a regular toothbrush and just scrub away? And to that guy who posted something about that other guy posting and not waiting, yea I remember that topic. Though I forgot the content or answer to that topic which is why I decided to post this.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Depending on how heavy the lacquer is, I always used a tiny bit of warm water on a rag probably not the smartest thing but i've had my Strat for 3 years now and it's not stuffed.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
ill throw a curve ball...what about non lacquered maple necks?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220